kudos:6

Verify terrestrial reception

Click for full size
Old antenna with its various fixings. Antenna rattles when shaken
Click for full size
connector that plugs into radio module
Click for full size
New antenna is rather large
I used to have a Sirius aftermarket radio in my old car and I could have the antenna mounted inside the trunk, car in garage and still be able to listen to the radio.

In my current car I have the factory sirius option and it is getting poor reception. Cuts off under bridges, trees, etc. The radio module has two antenna connections for "satellite" and "terrestrial" and as a bonus there's no signal level indicator. If I unplug the terrestrial connector the radio keeps playing. If I unplug the satellite connector the radio stops playing and says "ACQUIRING."

The factory antenna has one cable that goes into a splittler which then goes into a second box that has 2x inputs and 2x outputs (amplifier?) I purchased a new antenna with 2 connectors (and it's MASSIVE) and plugged it directly to the radio without the splitter (obviously) or amplifier. If I plug in only the terrestrial connector there's no signal.

How can I verify the Sirius terrestrial reception is working properly? Is it possible that even if I had the old car/radio/antenna combo it would no longer work where it used to?
--
PRescott7-2097

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
A few possibilities:

-The receiver itself is bad (duh)

-From what I recall about these systems, the antenna is "active" and requires a power source to operate. It may derive this power from the "SAT" lead to the antenna so when that's disconnected, the whole thing shuts down.

-Your local repeater may have gone offline, either temporarily or permanently (good luck with this one).

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to joako
not all areas have a terrestrial repeater. Did your area ever have one ?

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to joako
unfortunately that's normal here in the ohio valley and mountains. when you go past large hills you lose reception.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to joako
I think they are eventually suppose to phase out the Sirius side and use XM only. They may have shut down the local Sirius repeater for your area.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to joako
You could check in the radio settings to see the signal levels of both satellite and a repeater to see if you are getting a signal from one.

Like mentioned before though, it could have been shut down which is a shame really. XM never has had near as many repeaters as Sirius did.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Can you give me a heads up on how to check the signal levels on a radio built into a 2013 Lexus RX-350 without Navigator.

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to joako
Looking at the pics again, it looks like a much different type of unit than standard. That could also be a problem as most aftermarket units only need the single wire antenna and seem to work just fine.

Only way to know for sure is trying an aftermarket unit if you have access to one and checking it's signal levels.
--

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Can you give me a heads up on how to check the signal levels on a radio built into a 2013 Lexus RX-350 without Navigator.

I'm not sure what radio unit model are built into those vehicles. The owner's manual for the vehicle should have details on the radios operations or should have come with a book for the accessories.
--

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Suzuki wanted $400 to install Sirius radio in my car. I said no thanks and stuck with my portable unit. They do sell larger antennas like they have semis and stuff but don't know if they will help.
Like I said if you live in hilly/mountainous areas you will run into trouble with satellite radio.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to joako
The terrestrial repeaters in urban areas were XM's thing, not Sirius'. XM installed them mostly installed in urban and some suburban areas where the signal could be blocked, but most of the US never had access to them, unlike the satellite signal.

Since the merger between XM and Sirius, the repeaters have become an endangered species. Sirius sees the future of "satellite" radio in Internet signal delivery. It's much cheaper for them, obviously, than launching satellites which have a limited lifespan or trying to maintain a widely scattered network of transmitters. Some repeaters have been removed because they were causing other problems for other broadband spectrum providers. When a repeater dies, it is often not repaired. They are all slated for removal eventually, as you can see in this thread:
»www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=120956
(Ryan is the owner of XMFan.com, and he would know.)