Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

[Other] America's Cup race...

New Zealand has a large lead but the American's have come back with the small help of New Zealand nearly capsizing:

»www.boatinternational.com/2013/0···cas-cup/

50-60 degree tilt - how every one stayed on the boat I will never know...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
I remember the bygone days when the US could never lose an America's Cup.
Now there's foreigners dominating. Where the hell is New Zealand.
--
The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Well - the US could have one of the largest, if not THE largest, comebacks in the Cup history.

Not that hard to find on a map - I would love to visit them.

Frankly - never losing a Cup really gets boring and you eventually have less and less people race because there is no point.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
Visited New Zealand about 5 years ago. Great country and people. Would love to go back. While there, we had a chance to ride on one of the America's Cup boats from the late 90s, whatever the boat class was that followed the old 12 meter boats from the 80s. That was a blast.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
Winning or even competing in the World Cup requires an awful lot of money, time and effort. its only for the super rich who have a lot of time on their hands. Those "boats" are really souped up and resemble no boat I've ever seen.
--

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to CylonRed
Holy $%&@!!! Oracle Team USA pulled it off and kept the America's Cup. After being down 8-1, they won 8 races in a row to win the series 9-8. They actually had to win 11 races in total after being penalized 2 races before the series started.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Unbelieveable.... Really...

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
reply to bjf123
Team USA? Not to take anything away from the victory only the Owner is American. The boat is skippered by an Australian and an international crew with only one American among the 11 man crew (probably the cook)

However, not to be outdone the New Zealand Boat is skippered by a British Olympic champion, 4 time gold medallist.

This is what outsourcing means.
--

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
Good win. Too high-tech for my taste.
I see the 12 Meters in the Hyannis - Nantucket Figawi race. Blow right by us.

My Proposed Rules:
12 Meter boats, Sailors from the representative country, an on-board galley that must produce soup and sandwiches during the race, 6 beers to be drunk for every crew-member on-board.
Like 90% of all sail races.

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

However, not to be outdone the New Zealand Boat is skippered by a British Olympic champion, 4 time gold medallist.

I assume you are thinking of Ben Ainslie. He did not skipper the New Zealand team, he was brought in as a tactician for the US team.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
The Sprite of Dennis Conner lives on... win by any possible measure, I still remember how shocked I was when his fat ass suddenly appeared on 'Young America', - if you can't beat them, conduct piracy.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
On another website a NZ fan claimed that US simply had too much money - hmmmmmmmm . Let's see - the US had their asses handed to them for the first what - 6-7 races? NZ was hardly a unfunded team as well.
--
Brian

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
I think the NZ team is partly funded by the Government. For a small Country they sure did well although this must rank as a Choke of the Century.
--

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to CylonRed
My brother lived in New Zealand for a few years. He said sailing's popularity is similar to NASCAR in the US. America's Cup races were on major broadcast TV not cable obscura.

"With Prime Minister John Key refusing to guarantee that the government will repeat the NZ$36 million (US$30 million) contribution it made to Team NZ’s San Francisco campaign, Dotcom said he was ready to step into the breach."

»www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/27/k···ng-team/

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to CylonRed
Here is a Youtube video of the boat. It is fast.

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···oQ#t=139
--
Caddy