uniqs

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

AirPort Express killed by firmware update?

Ive been using my Apple AirPort Express, purchased around 2 years ago quite happily.

Yesterday the AirPort utility reported there was a firmware update available. This was the first time I'd ben in to the AirPort utility for a while, so who knows how long this has been available...

I figured why not update, so clicked the button.

It seemed to work fine for maybe half an hour after that, but now it seems to be dead.

The LED is going through a cycle, 1 second of green, back to amber for a while, lather, rinse, repeat.

Have tried factory resetting and hard resetting a couple of times but to no effect. I left it on overnight to see if it would eventually snap out of it, but no luck so far.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it dead?

Suggestions welcome.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

I guess you might know this, but...

»support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Yes. I have been though that (hence hard and factory reset).

I think its terminally ill. Very annoying that this would happen after a firmware update, and especially after it had been working fine for a short while before packing up. :-(

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
I would give it a shot and bring it into an Apple Store and explain what happened. You may walk out with a new or refurbished Airport Express.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
Maybe all coincidence but I recently posted here I had run into 5 apple routers that have failed for my customers in a brief few weeks time period

Yesterday I installed a system for someone who had been unhappy with previous provider
When I hooked up new service I was getting double digit downloads while connected directly but very slow thru router

After Express was powered down for about 20 minutes while troubleshooting we put it back inline and all was fast again

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_ to lordpuffer

MVM

to lordpuffer
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a shot.

Dont hold much hope though, its probably just about 2 years old right now, I get the feeling they'll say "sorry, unfortunate coincidence".

But we'll see.

Thanks everyone. Will post back with results.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by TomS_:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a shot.

Dont hold much hope though, its probably just about 2 years old right now, I get the feeling they'll say "sorry, unfortunate coincidence".

But we'll see.

Thanks everyone. Will post back with results.

Do you have applecare on any of your computers? If so it will cover the Airport Express. Policy is that it's covered by APP of any computer that is purchased within 2 years of the Airport Base Station.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Really?

I did buy a new Retina MBP late last year, which should have been roughly 1 year after purchasing the AirPort, give or take. With this I also purchased an extended APP.

Will have to look in to this ...
TomS_

TomS_

MVM

Had a phone call scheduled but they didnt ring. Have rebooked with a Genius on Thursday.
TomS_

TomS_

MVM

And they replaced it free of charge since it seemed to die coincidentally with the firmware upgrade, even though it was out of warranty, and I'd never even mentioned that I owned a Mac with an AppleCare plan.

They replaced it with another Gen 1 AirPort Express, so no luck bagging myself a newer edition.

Still a good result in the end.