Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizzle
Premium
join:2004-06-15
Durham, NC

[T-Mobile] Platinumtel phone

Is anyone using the ZTE Open Firefox phone with Platinumtel?

I just went through the process of switching to GSM a few weeks back and they provided me with a phone for free. Looking to get something a little bit better and $80 is a decent price point for a smartphone w/ the basics.

What I don't know is how the technology works on this network.

spernoga

join:2013-09-25
Columbus, OH

said by wizzle:

Is anyone using the ZTE Open Firefox phone with Platinumtel?

I just went through the process of switching to GSM a few weeks back and they provided me with a phone for free. Looking to get something a little bit better and $80 is a decent price point for a smartphone w/ the basics.

What I don't know is how the technology works on this network.

I used the ZTE Open on PTel for about a week. It worked fine as a phone, and got 3G data speeds in Central Ohio. I stopped using it because the phone was too buggy. Although real money is being charged to use the Open, it feels like an early beta or even alpha product. I stopped using it when the OTA update process broke and repeatedly offered me updates that failed to install. It's what I kind of expected from the first Firefox OS phone in the US, and I haven't given up on it, but it's hard to imagine relying on this phone on a daily basis.

Have you considered the T-Mobile Lumia 521 as an entry level PTel smartphone? It's a Windows 8 phone which may turn some people off, but it has much better specs than the Open(4G, dual core etc.) and is available from HSN for the same $80 with a coupon code when they have it in stock. It looked good enough to me to try, but I haven't received it yet.

wizzle
Premium
join:2004-06-15
Durham, NC

I have done no research at all since choosing the free phone to make the switch to GSM. Just got the ZTE Open tip from a coworker that was pleased with his on a different carrier.

Was using an old Samsung M800 on the CDMA network w/ ptel that didn't suck but wasn't very special either.

Thanks for the tip on the Lumia 521. I'll look into that. Doesn't appear to be unlocked, but I guess it doesn't matter since T-Mobile is the network used by PTel?