uniqs
share rss forum feed

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

IOS 7 Location services

Hello,

Is there any way to use location services only with Wi-Fi and Cell tower while turning off GPS?

Thanks.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
First off there's no GPS on any iPhone (or any cell phone to my knowledge). "GPS" on a cell phone is a combination of cell tower location/triangulation and wifi network information.

Since there's no GPS to turn off, you're using location services the way you requested.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2
It appears that 3 iphones have "GPS and GLONASS"

»www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
MA
reply to PToN
if you turn off your carrier connectivity, you're likely using location services only over wifi.

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to PToN
This has been a sore point with me. I keep getting the message I cannot be located by location services. I have a WiFi iPad 4G and an iPod 5G which I use with my Airport Extreme for Internet connectivity. But my location cannot be determined which is a pain when I am using Google Maps or any other App which wants to use location services. I tried to get my Airport registered with a third party web service that used to do this sort of thing, but it never worked. Is there any way to input GPS coordinates into my Airport so that it can locate me when I am working at home?
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to BellBoy
What?

GPS and GLONASS is listed.

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
MA
reply to The Geezer
All your ios devices exhibit the same issue?

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
MA
reply to wings10
He is poo-pooing what we the people refer to as GPS opposed to the actual technical method by which location services work. He should probably stop saying "cell phone" if he's that uptight.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

First off there's no GPS on any iPhone (or any cell phone to my knowledge).

WTF are you talking about? Older models of the iPhone contain a Broadcom BCM4750 GPS receiver while the newer ones use the Qualcomm WTR1605L GPS receiver.

Cell tower and wifi network location databases are used only to assist the GPS chipset in getting a rough idea of device location. This is so that the GPS receiver can quickly lock on to the nearest satellite and transponder signals rather than having to scan them all.

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
So if i turn it off, it should use the wifi and network locations, right? or am it totally out of luck..?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Location Services uses a mix of wifi/cellular/gps depending on the application. Non-exact or geo-fence type applications should request an estimate location which uses wifi and cellular. Turn-by-turn apps or apps that track your speed will request an exact location every x seconds. These force the use of the GPS.

So even if you see the location services mark appear in the menu bar, it does not mean something is actively using the GPS chip. As far as I know, there's no way to disable only the GPS while keeping the other services available - maybe with a jailbreak, but not on stock.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!
Expand your moderator at work

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to BellBoy

Re: IOS 7 Location services

said by BellBoy:

First off there's no GPS on any iPhone (or any cell phone to my knowledge). "GPS" on a cell phone is a combination of cell tower location/triangulation and wifi network information.

Since there's no GPS to turn off, you're using location services the way you requested.

Wrong. iPhones do have an actual GPS receiver.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to PToN
said by PToN:

So if i turn it off, it should use the wifi and network locations, right? or am it totally out of luck..?

I have not tried it personally, but I would imagine it would work, just may not be as accurate.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Quite the contrary...

GPS has been standard on most cell phones since before the iPhone.

For that matter, I've been searching for an app to duplicate one I had on android that would show signal strength to each sat in view.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by burner50:

For that matter, I've been searching for an app to duplicate one I had on android that would show signal strength to each sat in view.

Slightly off topic (although related to why Location Services being on does not imply the GPS is also on), but that is not possible on iOS currently - and probably for the foreseeable future.

The raw GPS data is never made available to the app. The OS only returns a set of coordinates + accuracy:
»apple.stackexchange.com/question···-details

A developer could theoretically write their own GPS stack and talk directly to the GPS chip, but Apple would never approve that app so you'd have to be jailbroken. A developer could also write an app that receives raw data from a stand-alone bluetooth GPS device, but there is probably very little interest in that even though it's within the App Store guidelines and would be approved.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to PToN
I stand corrected. I didn't really have much luck in the past in using the iPhone as a GPS device. I found this thread that explains things pretty well...

»discussions.apple.com/thread/428···tstart=0
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to ilikeme
Ok, I think it is as Thinkdiff mentioned. GPS is only used when the app requires it, else it just uses the wifi and cellular..

Sorry, i am a first time ever iPhone owner and getting used to it after being an Android user since it was released..

Thanks for the help.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by burner50:

Slightly off topic (although related to why Location Services being on does not imply the GPS is also on), but that is not possible on iOS currently - and probably for the foreseeable future.

The raw GPS data is never made available to the app. The OS only returns a set of coordinates + accuracy:
»apple.stackexchange.com/question···-details

A developer could theoretically write their own GPS stack and talk directly to the GPS chip, but Apple would never approve that app so you'd have to be jailbroken. A developer could also write an app that receives raw data from a stand-alone bluetooth GPS device, but there is probably very little interest in that even though it's within the App Store guidelines and would be approved.

Hmmm... That sucks... There are a few things that I miss from my android phone, but so far, I'm enjoying my iPhone5