uniqs
DrSmith
join:2009-02-16

DrSmith to Johkal

to Johkal

Re: What modem should I purchase.

said by Johkal:

None as far as I know. Why?

So, another drawback to separate units could be installation? Dunno about you but every time I've had to call Comcast support it's been the roulette wheel of terror. Some phone techs are great, some will cost you several hours off your life. And when there is a firmware update, do you have to call to set bridged mode again?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

3 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

This just supports not having a gateway device to begin with.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

3 recommendations

tshirt to DrSmith

Premium Member

to DrSmith
Only gateways need to be set to "bridged mode" (routing/DCHP off) plain modems are already bridges.
Yes gateway are compact and work for some, but the disadvantages of not being able to control and separate the modem from the router outweigh any advantage.
anyone able/capable of setting up a running a even a simple server is likely fully capable of adjusting router settings.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to DrSmith

Premium Member

to DrSmith
said by DarkLogix:

said by DrSmith:

said by DarkLogix:

NAT, on a standard modem? do you even know what you're doing? standard modems are bridges and don't have any interaction with NAT

Right, this would be non-standard and obviously it's no longer a bridge if it is doing NAT. Yes, I know. But as I mentioned things can get more complicated if you run a server.

But here's a real question for all the modem/router separation fans. Which modems can be put into bridged mode by the customer without a call to Comcast support?

If you're running Comcast HSI and not BCI then you can't put hardly any in non-bridged mode.

only time briged mode comes up is BCI and SCM/netgear.

though technical if you're running a server then per the AUP you should be using BCI with statics which kinda kills your idea of a nonSMC type unit

With BCI you'd have your router connected to the SMC and have your statics assigned to your router's wan.

I get the feeling you might not have a good grasp on the situation.

there's really no complication that you think there is

ON HSI (IE resi) the modem is a bridge unless you foolishly get a gateway.
then your router gets a DHCP IP
you do all your nat on your router and there is nothing to be done on the modem

on BCI (business class) you would ether use a standard modem and get a dynamic or use a comcast provided gateway and statics. ether way you then have your router connected to the device with a public IP on the wan of your router.

The reason its foolish to use a gateway with DHCP is you lose control of it, and a firmware update might cost you "years off your life"

Short version is a plain modem is only a bridge and not capable of working in any other mode.