uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to therube

Premium Member

to therube

Re: Can I stop apps from opening other apps?

said by therube:

> How does one go about doing this?

Set StartWithLastProfile=0 in profiles.ini.

(I think that's all that is necessary.)

I don't have that file. Is it because I have only 1 profile for FF?

kevin12345
@rr.com

kevin12345

Anon

said by Sentinel:

said by therube:

> How does one go about doing this?

Set StartWithLastProfile=0 in profiles.ini.

(I think that's all that is necessary.)

You do have that file just look under users and also make sure you have your hidden files and folders checked.
c:\Users\your PC name here\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Sentinel

to Sentinel
quote:
If you have FF, you do have "profiles.ini".

Profile folder - Firefox
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

said by therube:

quote:
If you have FF, you do have "profiles.ini".

Profile folder - Firefox

Not necessarily. For example I don't have "profiles.ini" file at all, because I always launch FF from a shortcut, containing "-profile " option...

To OP. When I don't want an installer to communicate with Internet while it's running (you've mentioned one of the reasons, but there are others too...), I can simply yank off network cable from my laptop, run installer and then put network cable back... Very simple, but nevertheless effective way to prevent all unsolicited communications. If it's somehow difficult in your case, you can make two shortcuts: one to disable network adapter, and another - to restore it back.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

quote:
Not necessarily. For example I don't have "profiles.ini" file at all, because I always launch FF from a shortcut, containing "-profile " option...

Ah, yes, you are correct about that.

Here's what I use for that, MOZHERE.BAT:

:: MOZpHERE (aka MOZ_HERE) open Mozilla with arbitrary PROFILE, HERE (in current directory)

@echo off
echo "Open MOZILLA starting with a (new or otherwise) PROFILE in: "
PWD
pause

set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
if exist "C:\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" start "" "C:\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -profile . -no-remote
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
That will work for things like installers or things where I know in advance that the offending program is going to attempt it. Good idea for those types of things and I will do that.

However, the problem we have is when we aren't expecting it. Using the example I used before: I had an email that, upon deletion opened a browser and attempted to go to a website. In that situation you have to have the internet on and accessible because you are reading your email.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by Sentinel:

I had an email that, upon deletion opened a browser and attempted to go to a website. In that situation you have to have the internet on and accessible because you are reading your email.

That's the big problem you have on your hands. Please fix it before you go any further.

Mail should not be active an any way!!! Deleting mail should never trigger any activity (especially connecting to the Internet). Receiving maul should not trigger connection to the Internet either... Make sure that your mail program doesn't download any images from the Internet (or any other files) without your permission. It's possible to do and it must be done before you start using it.

Regarding general approach with unloosened connections to the Internet, I'd suggest (as many did before) to install local outbound firewall, that will block all outbound connections that you do not approve. In all my computers there is no one program, that could connect to the Internet without my prior approval. That's the rule. And BTW, sue to that rule I don't need (and never use at all) antivirus programs... making computer run faster and virus-free for years
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I use Popcorn which is very secure. Until now It (usually) does not do html email. And even when it does it does not and cannot do images. So this must have been in the code of the email; not an image. Usually I read email in plain text. Increasingly many emails are html and cannot be read in plain text. Popcorn does do very limited html rendering. Apparently in this instance it was enough to trigger the browser opening.

Also, as I have said before numerous times, I do have an outbound firewall. Windows firewall in Win7 does do outbound. I have mine set up to block all outgoing internet unless there is a rule that I specifically set up. Of course that does nothing because I have a rule set up to allow my browser. Any firewall that I have I would have to have a rule to allow my browser.

The problem is not that the browser is getting out. The problem is that I cannot stop any application from opening the browser. There should be a way to limit what programs can open other programs.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to Sentinel

to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Using the example I used before: I had an email that, upon deletion opened a browser ...

Me thinks that means you have javascript enabled in your email client. I don't have javascript enabled in email.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

As far as I know Popcorn is not capable of doing javascript. I cold be wrong though as it is an old program and no longer updated by its creator.