PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN to pike

Premium Member

to pike

Re: IOS 7 Location services

So if i turn it off, it should use the wifi and network locations, right? or am it totally out of luck..?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Location Services uses a mix of wifi/cellular/gps depending on the application. Non-exact or geo-fence type applications should request an estimate location which uses wifi and cellular. Turn-by-turn apps or apps that track your speed will request an exact location every x seconds. These force the use of the GPS.

So even if you see the location services mark appear in the menu bar, it does not mean something is actively using the GPS chip. As far as I know, there's no way to disable only the GPS while keeping the other services available - maybe with a jailbreak, but not on stock.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
said by PToN:

So if i turn it off, it should use the wifi and network locations, right? or am it totally out of luck..?

I have not tried it personally, but I would imagine it would work, just may not be as accurate.

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Ok, I think it is as Thinkdiff mentioned. GPS is only used when the app requires it, else it just uses the wifi and cellular..

Sorry, i am a first time ever iPhone owner and getting used to it after being an Android user since it was released..

Thanks for the help.