spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

datguy11

@verizon.net

[Plumbing] underground PVC pipes - antifreeze or not?

Click for full size
underground pvc
I have a small backyard city pool (12x24)

I decided a few years back to put in 1.5" PVC pipes to get rid of the ugly hoses and not have a tripping hazard

There is maybe 5 feet of "underground" pipe, and its only about 6" down

When I close the pool, both ends of the pipes (feed and return) are open, and I thought I had read somewhere if both ends are open to the air it will allow for any water that freezes to expand without busting the pipes

I do buy a mix of environmental safe antifreeze concentrate that I mix with water to be on the safe side

any thoughts on this?? is it necessary?

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Is it possible for you to blow out the pipes with compressed air? That way you don't have to worry about any water.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to datguy11

You will end up with broken piping if you don't blow them out or treat the water in them. Being open to the atmosphere will not prevent this.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to datguy11

We had a similar setup with the above-ground pool when I was a kid. My father used to blow the lines out with his air compressor. That pool survived 15 Pennsylvania winters and never had a problem. He's got an in-ground now and still does the same thing. It's pretty easy. There are some Youtube videos that cover it.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Shrugs

@videotron.ca
reply to datguy11

blow the pipes, either a compressor, or a ShopVac that has a blow port. Shopvac does a great job.

Fill with RV antifreeze to the max possible. I fil it then do a light blow with the shopvac to fill any valley.

Both ends open shouldn't be an issue. I have the same with my drain line (I disconnect it, thus open both ends. But I still blow RV antifreeze through it (the enviro-friendly pink type good to -50C).

No issue after 4 years with this setup.

Weather where I am always hits -45C at least a couple to a few time in winter. For the 7$ it will cost you, think about the cost of what you will possibly have to replace and the work.

Worth it to you?

But yeah... Open both ends shouldn't be an issue in theory. But for 7$ I do it.

For 7$ you shouldn't even be asking. Just do it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to datguy11

said by Anon8:

any thoughts on this?

How can anyone be expected to make any kind of intelligent recommendation without knowing the area where you live and how cold it gets? Your setup would be fine in most of Texas.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Not sure it really matters other than the fact that it gets cold enough that freezing is a concern for his area. Whether the coldest it gets is 30' or -30, freezing is freezing.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

It matters. If the ground doesn't freeze the air temp isn't that big of a deal.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to Hall

There is a hell of a difference between 30 and -30 F.
--

datguy11

@verizon.net
reply to robbin

Sorry, I am in NYC.. Doesn't get too cold here anymore...

I do use antifreeze in the pipes after blowing them out with a shop vac. Just wondering if I was wasting my time

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to datguy11

"I do buy a mix of environmental safe antifreeze concentrate "

What specifically is this made of?
As mentioned you would typically use "RV antifreeze" which is propylene glycol and is safe with potable water supplies and can be bought at places like walmart.

The frost line in NY is certainly more than 6" so I would blow or shop vac out as much water as possible from the line and put rv antifreeze in it. Then, as the pool looks fairly small, I would shop vac out as much of the rv fluid as possible in the spring but if you don't get it all it isn't a big deal as it is safe to dissipate a reasonable amount of it in the pool.

Of course it really all depends on how much of a pita you would consider it to be to replace the the 5' of pipe if it leaks.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
reply to datguy11

You are not wasting your time. Your lines will freeze in NYC in the winter.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to datguy11

You need to blow them out or use antifreeze. The open ends will freeze first, trapping the unfrozen water between them. Once THAT freezes it will blow out the pipes (split the straight lines and/or break the elbows.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to datguy11

yes, yes, blow the lines out.

I do this for my inground pool (I'm in NJ) and cap the line after it's blown out. Works great.

If you don't get the water out, it WILL freeze and WILL break.

That is one of the nicest above-ground pool setups I've seen. Very nice!

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to datguy11

NYC area ? - blow out and use the RV antifreeze. Where I'm at (20 mile north of Raleigh NC) - it's not worth it on the inground lines (it IS worth draining all the above ground pool equipment, however).

If ALL your ingound lines are below the frostline (like your house supply is) - then I wouldn't bother - but I'd bet that NYC's frostline is "a bit" below 6 inches....

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to datguy11

Get as much out of the lines as possible with a compressor or a shop vac and then dump a gallon of pool friendly antifreeze into the skimmer. You buy it at the pool store.

datguy11

@verizon.net
reply to dennismurphy

dennismurphy thank you!

I do blow the lines out with my shop vac, then I use Camco Concentrated Swimming Pool Anti-Freeze which I mix with water

I don't cap the pipes at all, I have ball valves as you can see on 1 side, and I usually cover them with a soda bottle upside down to keep rainwater out.. the other side the pipes are horizontal and one of them is plumbed in permanently to a chlorinator that connects to a sand filter

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09

Camco Concentrated Swimming Pool Anti-Freeze

ok that is propylene glycol as well.