spc
Search similar:

uniqs
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

1 edit

intok (banned)

Cordless phone recomendations?

My old 5.8Ghz Uniden TRU9465 w/ 3 TCX905 handsets is finally starting to crap out on me, seems the flash memory on the base and one of the handsets has finally failed, the other 2 handsets, the other 2 still pick up CallerID they are at least 7 years old now and I'm fairly certain on their 4th battery.

What have you had good luck with? Sound quality and range are the 2 things I'm interested in.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

1 recommendation

ilikeme

Premium Member

I have always like Panasonic. They seem to be the most reliable.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to intok

to intok
Any DECT ATT or Panasonic are good.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

3 recommendations

guppy_fish to intok

Premium Member

to intok
People still have landlines?

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to intok

Premium Member

to intok
I have always had good luck with Panasonic myself. Love the units with Talking callerid.

geh
Premium Member
join:2012-04-08
U.S.A.

1 recommendation

geh to intok

Premium Member

to intok
Very happy with my ATT DECT 6.0 phones.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to intok

to intok
Panasonic is good, the longest lasting that I have had, however, is the Uniden setup that I have now. It is a 2 handset model, the battery in both handsets has been changed once and I have had them well over 5 years and probably longer. I can't remember exactly when I got them, but I do know it was more than 5 years ago. Maybe twice as long, I can't be sure.

They have caller ID and a few other features (that I don't use) and as far as I know, both sets are 100% functional.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to intok

Premium Member

to intok
Panasonic

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to intok

to intok
Any of the modern Panasonic DECTs (DECT 6.0 or 6.0PLUS).

I picked one up a year ago at sams club (or check costco) with 5 handsets, answering machine, talking caller id, call block, and dual cellular bluetooth pairing (they call it Link to Cell, so you can make and receive cellphone via bluetooth)... works like a charm... was around $99.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to intok

MVM

to intok
Another recommendation for Panasonic, reliable and last.

oldITguy
@comcast.net

oldITguy to intok

Anon

to intok
»shop.panasonic.com/shop/ ··· overview

Another vote for panasonic. I have the predecessor to this one. Good sound quality. Bought it for the call blocking feature. This one says you can download your cells phone book into it over bluetooth.

This is the 3 handset model. Change the last digit of the model (3) to how many handsets you want (4,2,1).

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to intok

Premium Member

to intok
Another suggestion for the Uniden DECT 6.0 -- have had mine for over 5 years and, so far, haven't had to replace anything. Excellent sound quality and good range (as good as 1.9 GHz allows...)

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to intok

MVM

to intok
Ditto for Panasonic.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan to intok

Premium Member

to intok
I'm going to give a thumbs up also for Panasonic.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Yep...

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
Yup, corded too.

mady

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

I have always like Panasonic. They seem to be the most reliable.

I like the Panasonics...

However I'm also a big fan of the AT&T DECT 6.0 corded phone + portable units. The buttons are large, the handset has the weight I like, a bright coloured screen, speakerphones, two analogue line support and it also links up with my cell phone for a magical third line. It's great when your land line phone takes over for your cell phone automagically after you walk in the door.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
Not exactly.

»www.straighttalkhomephone.com

we have wireless phone connected to this. $15 a month, called id, unlimited long distance. Works great.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to intok

to intok
said by intok:

My old 5.8Ghz Uniden TRU9465 w/ 3 TCX905 handsets is finally starting to crap out on me...

»www.vtechphones.com/prod ··· ail/2424

As you are listing a very expensive system, I am betting that you don't want a cheap looking replacement. I would recommend the

$139.85 3 Handset VTech Retro Phone with Connect to Cell%u2122
LS6191-17 + two LS6001-17

It looks stylish, has range of up to 500', and has the further benefit that you can run the signal through up to two cell phones through the handsets by charging your cell phones near the base. The bluetooth picks up the signal, and your handset will tell you if you are getting a call on cellphone 1,2 or landline.

It's a very handy feature as you have to charge your cell phone sooner or later, and this saves you from having to run through the house to answer it when it rings.

It is compatible with MagicJack, Plain Talk, or Basic Talk from Walmart or any other system if you want to minimize your home phone costs.

Some people choose to dispense with the home number altogether, but they like being able to answer the cell phones this way. You also have the intercom feature.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to intok

Premium Member

to intok
A year or so ago I bought a Panasonic 3 handset DECT 6.0 PLUS that is HAC, B, and ETL, with Talking ID Caller for special needs.

This is a great phone for all, but I can't marry it to my cell phone like I did with my AT&T phone.

The Panasonic handset screen is easier to see and read than AT&T models what had the orangish color handset screen. It is also much easier to see at night. There was not a sharp enough distinction between background and numbers and alphabet on the AT&T handset screens that I looked at especially at night. Speaker phone does not distort sound when calling or receiving landline or cell phone calls. The numbers on the Panasonic handset are larger and easier to see and enter at night than the AT&T models.

This Panasonic model KX-TG4731 was specifically chosen for a legally blind-deaf person. There are two different volume controls on the handset (front and side), plus the top of the handset flashes when the phone rings, and the caller is announced. I ordered this phone from Panasonic as I could not find anything like it locally. This model retails about $140.

I've had AT&T phones in the past. I do not dislike them; as those are good phones. However, this model works best for my situation now, plus I've had extremely good luck with Panasonic phones from Radio Shack for many years. As a landline phone all the other features offered by my telco work with this unit, too.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by linicx:

This is a great phone for all, but I can't marry it to my cell phone like I did with my AT&T phone.

I think that this feature is a extremely useful to have in a cordless phone set. It is sometimes marketed as Link2Cell or "Connect to Cell". Even if you outgrow landlines in the future, your phones will still be worth something.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Link2Cell is useful and it is very easy to connect to an AT&T base unit. I did this in the past. It was more trouble than it was worth as my bottom tier phone company didn't like it on their network.

I use a "No Contract" TracFone for the same reason I bought the Panasonic. It is the only phone on the market I could afford that is 3M/3T, plus it has the swipe screen, virtual keyboard, and an incoming ringtone that is progressively louder with each ring. I also chose TracFone because my state charges almost 25% smartphone tax per month. This extra cost is above and beyond the the city tax, the state tax, and the monthly contract charge from providers like Verizon, etc..

I buy TracFone airtime, enjoy triple roll-over minutes, with no overages or caps, and pay the standard state tax on airtime. I buy the first card at full price, then I can purchase subsequent cards at the same time for 1/2 cost.

My TracFone model is LG 8xxG on the AT&T network. It is preloaded with Windows and Bing; works great. I rarely use the web on any cell phone as it is extremely difficult for me to read tiny text under the most perfect conditions.

My reconditioned smartphone cost $29 plus tax and shipping.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Yes, we do. When you have babies or folks with medical needs, the landline provides a true ANI/ALI to the 911 center. Can't always rely on a cell or IP to provide that. I would rather spend a little for a little peace of mind.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Piss poor cell phone reception out here in the middle of nowhere, so yes I will have a landline, well Time Warner Digital Phone, for the foreseeable future.

Years ago in the 2.4GHz days, I went through three different cordless phone sets from Panasonic and hated all three. Range sucked on one, speaker went to hell on the other and I forget what happened to the third one. Switched to Motorola, first a 2.4 GHz, then a 5.8 and now a DECT 6.0. No complaints.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to Pacomartin

to Pacomartin
said by Pacomartin:

As you are listing a very expensive system, I am betting that you don't want a cheap looking replacement. I would recommend the

I take it you get that from the one still new in box on Amazon going for $425?

Remember, I said it was a 7 year old phone and they only cost about $100 on sale when I bought the base.

The cellphone and MagicJack tie in system sounds like a great feature though, how does that work exactly? How do you change the number you are calling from? Would be great for the long distance calls.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by intok:

Remember, I said it was a 7 year old phone and they only cost about $100 on sale when I bought the base.

The cellphone and MagicJack tie in system sounds like a great feature though, how does that work exactly? How do you change the number you are calling from? Would be great for the long distance calls.

In that case the cheaper looking 3 handset system is $54
For $130 you can get 5 handsets/ 1 ear piece/ and answering system
Both with Connect to Cell
»www.vtechphones.com/prod ··· ail/1953
»www.vtechphones.com/prod ··· ail/2392
These phones just don't look as good as the "retro" phones.

There are two buttons on the phone labelled Cell#1 and Cell#2. You push the one you want, dial in the number and then push cell#x again to dial.

Your cell phones must be within a max of 15' of the base.

Your magic jack is $60 and is good for one year. It requires wireless in the house. You plug it into the wall then run a standard phone cord to the base of the Vtech phone. Magic Jack's can be renewed for an additional 5 years for $100.

If you don't have wireless then you need a Home Phone Connect which is basically a stationary cellular system. They usually cost $15 to $20 a month, where you must usually spend $100 on equipment to get the cheapest monthly rate. Walmart has them.

The advantage of these phone sets is you can choose how you want to make the call on the spur of the minute. If you have free mobile to mobile, you can choose to make the call on a mobile line. If you want to hide your number, then use the Magic Jack. If you have a problem with the Magic Jack number (angry person bugging you), then you throw the MJ away and buy another one ($60) without compromising your cell phone number. Personally, I would restrict the Magic Jack to outgoing calls only, as that way it is expendable if your number is compromised in any way.