share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Need a vacuum cleaner

A hoover windtunnel back in 1998 finally went out so what's a good vacuum in a range of $200

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

I just have a basic Hoover upright. Have never spent a lot of money on a vacuum. $200 or less will get you something decent. Just go pick one out.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

You can get a used dyson for that price.

I got one for 2$ and 50 cents

people that owned the thrift store thought it was broken but all it need was a new belt got a few on ebay for 4$

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Subaru

It's around 340 instead of 200 but walmart has the Dyson DC40 Animals on closeout.

Note it is one of the ball units, but it's the older one and it is hefty... if hefty is out of the question avoid it.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
reply to Subaru

The Shark Navigator series.
I can't speak to their expected life range but the performance is outstanding in their price range.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Anonymous_

I heard dyson's have issue and they are overpriced for what they are.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to La Luna

lol yeah well this time it will be bagless.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

I have a Dyson DC23 Motohead cannister... I love it.

They are some bucks, but I've never owned a vaccum that cleans as well. It replaced an older Hoover upright, and runs circles around it.

If you can find a good used Dyson, or a refurb, that would be what I'd suggest.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

We have an older Dyson model and it is by far the best vacuum cleaner we've ever owned. In fact, we can't wait for it to die (don't think it ever will) so we can buy one of their newer models.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Subaru

I own a Dyson and I am pleased, high quality product that does the job

Expand your moderator at work

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Subaru

Re: Need a vacuum cleaner

said by Subaru:

Never had any issues with any Dysons, I have one, got one for parents, solid vacuums.

Are they overpriced? Yes.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

Dyson has 50% of the market in the UK (and in other countries). Given their price they must be good.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to dib22

yes but when your apartment is only 2% carpet it seems like a huge waste of money..

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

get a roomba then, one that can do hardwood floors and carpet.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

like what ?

I do notice the "air"
holes get clogged but nothing a little bit of compressed air could fix (or vacuum it out with another vacuum cleaner)
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to justin

said by justin:

Skip the roomba, go with the neato xv-21 or xv signature pro... much more satisfying robot vacuum.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

Another vote for a Dyson. We just got a DC 39 Animal and it runs circles around anything else we have had. There is a trick to emptying the canister as they never seem to empty as easily as in the commercials. Once you figure out how to do that without spilling crap all over it is an easy process.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to Subaru

Just get a eureka and spend the money on GOOD 3m bags.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

2 edits
reply to Subaru

Dup post.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

yes but when your apartment is only 2% carpet it seems like a huge waste of money..

For your scenario, yes, it's likely not worth it.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

The Hoover Windtunnels, similar to yours that died, have always been near the top of the "Consumer Reports" ratings.
I see deals posted quite often for them at Slickdeals.com with availability from various retailers @ around $90 shipped.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Subaru

I can't speak highly enough about the durability or functionality of the Dysons. We have had one for 5 years now, and it's still twice as powerful as any previous Hoover we had owned previously.

You'll marvel at how easy it is to clean or remove jams of large items, as all areas of the air pathway are easily accessible.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

I just have a basic Hoover upright. Have never spent a lot of money on a vacuum. $200 or less will get you something decent.

Also have a Hoover upright, the one where it lights up when it 'senses dirt'. Works pretty good for me, no complaints at all... had it maybe 4 or 5 years now.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to Subaru

I got a Eureka from Costco a few years ago. It works great. The kit contained 10 bags and two extra belts for free! HEPA filter.

It was around $200 too. Top rated by Consumer Reports. The only thing is it's a bit heavy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

said by dib22:

said by justin:

Skip the roomba, go with the neato xv-21 or xv signature pro... much more satisfying robot vacuum.

Never heard of these until now, pretty cool stuff!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

I had a 1995-era Hoover of some kind go out on me (well, my wife) about 10 years ago. I thought, "hell, I can fix this." After I tinkered with it, I turned it on and it got louder and louder and then it kind of exploded. The "bang" it made was one of the loudest sounds I've ever heard, second only to a 1929 Ford backfiring inside a metal shed, and the image of me standing there in a huge cloud of dust with a thoroughly demolished vacuum and a screwdriver is one that my wife will probably never forget. It was funny as hell.

Dyson now, though. It's the yellow one with the ball.

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
reply to Subaru

Got a dyson upright a few years ago, last year the buttons for holding on the attachments & hose broke. The on/off switch stopped working and I had to hold it down to use it. Then I sprayed it with WD-40 and it worked for a while. Now it won't turn off which is ok because I can just unplug it and plug it in to use. Better than having to hold the on button down. You can google about these types of problems with the dyson.

Have to say, that it still has a lot of power, still cleans great and I use it daily.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Jackorama:

Got a dyson upright a few years ago

If by a few you mean 4 years... it is most likely still under warranty. Give em a call.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to Subaru

I have a Sears Kenmore canister vac I paid over $300 for about 12 years ago. It still runs ok with fairly heavy use. It's a decent unit but looking back I think I could have found something else just as good for less. Sears should have given me a better product for the money.

I have other Shark products and I like them. When the Kenmore dies and/or I get tired of it (I'm close to that point now) I'll probably go with a Shark.

It seems canister vacs have smaller bags that need to be emptied/changed more often than the upright models.