uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Going overseas

I plan on going to China and other countries that basic American content (Facebook, etc) is blocked. I want to setup a VPN or proxy on my home computer and just use that proxy address when I am overseas. I'd want it for secure communication and or circumventing blocks on websites that I'd normally be able to go to. I'm not going to use it for anything "bad". I also want something so I can pay my bills securly (that I can go on the banking websites and do that since I don't trust auto payments).

What is the best and easiest method to go about this? I'd want something password protected too (ie. not an open proxy).

Is a VPN better or a proxy server better? Seems they both would have different functions.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
said by fartness:

What is the best and easiest method to go about this? I'd want something password protected too (ie. not

an open proxy).

Asking for a "best and easiest" method leads back to the old (IT) saying of "cheap, fast, perfect. pick two and ONLY two."

If you want it under your control, setting up a home VPN is possible and doable. Pretty much you're looking for a
device that has "VPN" in its name or product description -- Netgear, Sonicwall, Zyxel are some names off the top of
my head. If you're a hardcore DIY-type, there are multiple *nix router / firewall distros that have VPN functionality,
as well as alternate firmwares for home router devices like DDWRT, etc. Or you can look into setting up OpenVPN on
a 2nd hand PC at home.

Something to keep in mind, VPN is not simply about a password -- you'll want to get familar with strong encryption / hashing
methods, like AES and SHA2. If you're not familar with these terms, get ready for some heavy reading.

If you're willing to pay someone but not have full control over the infrastructure, there's multiple VPN and proxy
services out there.

said by fartness:

Is a VPN better or a proxy server better? Seems they both would have different functions.

Neither one is "better" than the other. They're two different technologies for two different purposes.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

cptmikey

join:2013-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to fartness
Try portdefender.net. 30 day free trial.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
reply to fartness
I'd build a smoothwall openvpn AES and use the home Highspeed internet, but than again if they block all the proper ports for you, than you are SOL anyway...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to fartness
Here's another question, if I get a data plan for my smart phone - whether it's a SIM from that country or my American SIM - should I be able to do what I need?

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
It depends on the prepaid sim...

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to fartness
...their network... their rules... 'nuff seid.

Regards

VPNCompare

@31.7.60.x
reply to fartness
If you're going to buy a VPN service then look for one that offers OpenVPN, this can connect on various ports so it is harder to block.

PPTP can be blocked easily so avoid using that.