join:2011-06-07

valgaav

O_O,

Nice, and I'm paying $31 for 2mb/512kbps....... :P
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

This is for business service not for residential.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

but.. but.. but... businesses use lots of upload and that somehow magically costs more than download.. how can they be offering this for less?!

I assume the can offer it so cheaply because their residential customer base probably is what sets their 95th percentile of bandwidth, so business bandwidth is free.

Example: Get a bunch of home users streaming Netflix, YouTube, etc and suddenly you have 100gb of peak. During the day, you may only be using around 20gb, so you decide to start selling to businesses and now you're maybe up to 50gb during non-peak hours.

Since your peak is set by home users, transit bandwidth for business users is free. Because of that, you can charge less.

Sonic.Net seems to be nice people. One of their head people said something along the lines of "we have only a handful of people making almost full use of their 1gb link 24/7, but it doesn't really matter, we're just excited to see them making use of it."
OttoPylot
join:2000-11-21
San Jose, CA

OttoPylot to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Yes. But I pay only $50 per month, including taxes AND my old AT&T landline for a sustained 20Mbps DSL connection. It's only a matter of time before the service makes it to residential.