share rss forum feed

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

[VA] NoVA Speed increase coming?!

I just got an e-mail about a service upgrade. I've included the text below. Does anyone know what this is going provide to each of the existing tiers

Is NoVA getting a doubling like other areas...
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···/141531?

Dave

In the spirit of providing you the best service possible, we'll be upgrading your Cox High Speed Internet so it's faster than ever before – With top speeds up to 100 Mbps! In just a few short weeks, this automatic speed increase will power all of your devices so you can stream HD videos, download music, upload photos and more…even faster.

JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX, SO YOU CAN ENJOY
YOUR EVEN FASTER COX HIGH SPEED INTERNET.

--
Cox Preferred HSI~SB6120~Grandstream HT502~E4500
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

hokeye

join:2006-10-06
Alexandria, VA

I need to get a new modem to take advantage of this speed increase and it will be a Motorola from the Cox approved list.

2 Questions:

Do I have to inform Cox of the new modem's MAC address. If so will a call to tech support do it and will it activate immediately?

The Motorola install guide from Cox says if you aren't using Windows 7 you have to make some registry key changes. I am using Windows 8. How do I do this or does the Modem come with install software that does it ?

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10

said by hokeye:

Do I have to inform Cox of the new modem's MAC address. If so will a call to tech support do it and will it activate immediately?

You can, or if you just hook up the modem, you'll come to a self-activation page where you can do it yourself.

said by hokeye:

The Motorola install guide from Cox says if you aren't using Windows 7 you have to make some registry key changes. I am using Windows 8. How do I do this or does the Modem come with install software that does it ?

You do not need the registry key changes for Windows 8. Those instructions really should read "if using Windows XP".

JayNoVA

@cox.net
reply to dlarkin_dc

* I have the Preferred plan... what will be my new speeds - 25 up and 5 down?
* Do I need to buy a new modem (from the list here - »bit.ly/1eHfEck) or can I just use the same one given to me by Cox (Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2)?
* What else do I need to do in order to avail of these new speeds?

Thank you in advance.

hokeyes

@cox.net
reply to CoxVegas

Thank You CoxVegas for the info.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77
reply to JayNoVA

The DPC2100 will work for Preferred but a DOCSIS 3.0 would be more ideal.

msheikh25

join:2006-10-11
Fairfax, VA
reply to dlarkin_dc

Just got that email also. I upgraded my modem last week from an old moto sb5100 (docsis 2.0) to a cisco 3010 (docsis 3.0) and am on preferred. I was under the impression that preferred was already at 25mbps but after testing found out that wasn't true. I was actually getting 30+ mbps with the old modem and now can't get higher than 20 mbps. After emailing coxhelp, found out that preferred is actually supposed to be 15mpbs in NoVA (I think I was just looking at the wrong location's webpage and didn't realize speeds were different across regions). Glad it'll be bumped up a bit now to what I thought it was in the first place but still bizarre that I was getting higher speeds with an older modem. Upload speed did go up and I think stability is better with docsis 3.0 so I didn't bother switching back.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI
reply to CoxTech1

said by CoxTech1:

The DPC2100 will work for Preferred but a DOCSIS 3.0 would be more ideal.

Is it true that existing DOCSIS 3.0 modems (like my own SB 6120) will not be a choke point for the upcoming speed increase?

TIA!

Dave
--
VOIPo

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

The 6120 supports 4 bonded channels so you should be able to get up to 100Mbps with ease. The only problem might be because of support and the lack of channels to keep your data flowing at 100Mbps. Congestion might slow you down depending on what speeds your neighbors have.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to dlarkin_dc

what do you mean provide to each of the existing tiers? They are just getting boosted.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA

I'm looking to find out what each tier will be boosted to, specific data rates.

And, if the new rates being made available will need updated hardware to make use of new data rates.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

read the link you posted it has the new speeds

preferred and higher will need a d3 modem.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

said by ajwees41:

read the link you posted it has the new speeds

preferred and higher will need a d3 modem.

The link was for Las Vegas last February!
--
VOIPo

DarkFlow

join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA

Every market get's the same speed bumps, all you need to do is take 5 mins and look at each markets post on here about it, there are many. It seems the only market getting Different speeds in SoCal. We are getting a 100/20 Ultimate and not 150. Last to get it, and we get the worst also, thanks cox!

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA

1 edit
reply to dlarkin_dc

For more solid information see the thread...

»[VA] Hampton Roads speed increase?

...and consider this thread closed!

scottct1

join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT
reply to dlarkin_dc

Wonder how long it will take until you see the new speeds?

We got the email a few weeks ago here in Connecticut, but have seen no increases or heard anything more since then.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to dlarkin_dc

for 100mbps service probably. you'll want one of the newer modems that do 8 channels down instead of just 4.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA
reply to dlarkin_dc

awesome news!! odd that I didn't get that email though.. I get plenty of other ads from Cox though.

I'm on Premier, hoping we'll get bumped up to 50/10.

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to dlarkin_dc

Rebooted my modem today and saw my speed increase as promised. Never received the letter though.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA

I tested before and after rebooting my modem. No increase in speed here yet.

Foxbat121

Herndon, VA

It largely depends how you test and when you test. I see network congestion is quite sever recently.

Here is one of my test »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3012944870 20/20 mbps on preferred tier.
Which is inline with Cox's own speed test. Testing on external sites are not very reliable right now because of the congestion.

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA

1 edit

That Reston server has been inaccurate for me... I don't use that one as it just shows my upload bandwidth significantly higher than it actually is.

Reston Server: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3012954898
WashDC Server: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3012956366

These local servers seem all accurate:
Manassas, VA
Ashburn, VA (Fast Serv)
Washington DC (Speedtest.net)
Washington DC (Soft Layer Tech)
Frederick, MD (Xecunet)

The others I've tested show U/L speeds where Powerboost never turns off as far as I can tell... on a few I've seen upload speeds go up to 35-40Mbps.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

I find the dslreports own tests to be more consistent and accurate than speedtest...

»/speedtest?flash=1

I did just try speedtest.net to check too. Neither report any increase in my data rates at this time.
--
VOIPo

goofy

@cox.net

The Cox Roanoke area market got the new speeds 2 months ago Preferred pack jumped to 25/5 but speedtests show avg 32.6/6.8M anytime during the day. the DOCSIS 3.0 technology cleared up the who's sharing your line gimmick a lot.

Foxbat121

Herndon, VA
reply to Shadowdane

I know what you mean. The download speed are very consistent at 20mbps for me on all these servers. It is the upload speed that varies a lot. Cox's own speed test showed me 20mbps upload (I know it is not possible after power boost is off).

Foxbat121

Herndon, VA
reply to dlarkin_dc

I use to get very good reliable results with dslreport's own speed tests. But I can barely get 5 to 8 mbps download speed where I used to get around 12 to 15 (only speed). So, I assume the hops between Cox and those servers are congested.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA

I beginning to realize that your right 'bout that congestion... I do see slow ping results on the nearby Comcast server using dslreports speed test.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI
reply to dlarkin_dc

This morning I'm seeing different behavior on speedtest.net results. I'm thinking the speedboost algorithms have been modified, or swapped for a data rate cap. I see a fixed 20mbs down every test instead of flaky results anywhere between 10 and 30mbs.

Now if that new 20mbs is solid reliable consistent and just is now a capped data bandwidth.. that would be an, "automatic speed increase" as promised over the my plans 15mbs. Not double, just 33%... I wonder if I'll ever notice that day to day?

The average updload hasn't changed significantly but it does seem to be behaving differently too. After an initial burst of data the gauge hovers (dipping/rebounding) from 5mbs down as if there's some algorithm keeping the average rate at ~3.5mbs.

So is the increase an extra 5 up and 0.5 down... well if it's, free I'm okay with that.
--
VOIPo

Kulmbach

join:2005-02-21
Newport News, VA
reply to dlarkin_dc

I've seen no signs of increase in hampton roads either

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

Your modem should have rebooted last night for the changes to take effect. Note however if you're on Premier and don't have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem you will not see an increase however once you upgrade the modem we can change that.