elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

CRTC climbs in bed with the competition bureau

I just got a press release saying they have agreed to cooperate better cooperating between the 2 agencies.

How you ask? Why they're going to have semi-annual meetings to discuss how to be more cooperative .

For crying out loud.

he Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and the Competition Bureau announced that they have signed a Letter of Agreement calling for closer cooperation between the two agencies.
The agreement, among other things, calls for the sharing of best practices through joint training exercises of employees and knowledge transfer sessions, and provides for the creation of an employee exchange program. The agencies have committed to semi-annual meetings between senior management to discuss further avenues for cooperation and collaboration.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com10 ··· 8FhDeyCY

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

What this means is that they will discuss things that currently need to bounce back through the minister of industry. Although I don't understand the joint training etc.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
And this is a bad thing because...?

Hmm
@videotron.ca

Hmm to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
They are already supposed to be working together. Been years that they have.

So it seems to me that what they are stating here is that they were, and always have been, a complete failure while working together to date and this is a revamp.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Although I don't understand the joint training etc.

I can see at least two reasons: more government-paid trips for the lucky pencil pushers and it helps both agencies meet their employee training requirements.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
It always seemed the Competition Bureau deferred to the CRTC on anything that fell in to their jurisdiction, and the CRTC wasn't really staffed to handle those issues properly - so they never got handled.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

And this is a bad thing because...?

Meetings on a semi annual basis to discuss how to be cooperative?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to elwoodblues

Mod

to elwoodblues
I once had a contract with a company down in N. Carolina. One day they called a meeting to discuss the project. They had people come in from 3 sites, some 50 miles away, which is odd because it didn't actually impact ANYONE but this site!

So, the content of this meeting was my stating that the project was running slightly delayed but would meet the deadline. Total time 1 minute. The rest of the meeting ... 3 minutes ... was to agree on a time when they'd all get together for the next meeting.

The organisational time for me to get this meeting took about 2 hours that I could have been working, because I had to ensure that all was secure, that I had the needed passes to crosss to a different building on the site and find the conference room. One of the major reasons for delays on this project was all the meetings (although this was the worst in the time waste dept!).

Meetings achieve so little for so much effort. They are essentially management "Make Work" projects.

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor

said by sbrook:

Meetings achieve so little for so much effort. They are essentially management "Make Work" projects.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Meetings on a semi annual basis to discuss how to be cooperative?

So you'd rather they tried to work at cross-purposes instead of co-operating?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Is that like asking me if I still beat my wife?

WTF are semi annual meetings, get it together, don't meet twice to discuss shit, get it done now.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Actually, this will give the Feds an opportunity to enable a two pronged remedy to dealing with the Big 3's shennanigans. No more buck passing or handing off to the other regulator.

Get the job done and get it done now.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to sbrook

to sbrook
I find the "review" type meetings the most comical. I've been part of 1-2 hour meetings where the entire agenda was to review items that had previously been discussed in past meetings. These meetings are surreal.

The review itself lasts 5-10 minutes and the rest of the time is spent on roundtable discussion where half of the people point out that there is no reason to review these items and the other half complain about other things. lol!

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I don't miss the endless meetings of civil service...
Time is money, in my industry, if you're on the shop floor you don't have time to waste on meetings.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
When they 'get in bed together', they'll both want to be on top .... so nothing will happen.