Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Don Juane

join:2001-12-19
Anguilla

1 edit

Your account status does not yet allow reply to older discus

What does this mean? I post to hundreds of forums and this one has the most strict date expiration restrictions I have found. Let's say there is a forum thread open about a generic piece of hardware that hasn't changed much in 4-8 years. All the "right people" are are found in a very popular thread regarding it and the thread is serving as sort of a tell-all when it comes to the operation of the device. Then along comes dslreports that locks out the forum in as short as 3 months (I believe is the norm or shorter?). How can this be a good idea? Is space for text really that tight in today's environment? I can see this as a rule for highly volatile open source software, but for a work horse piece of hardware that has not changed in years? Don't see the logic.

Chances of group of experts that attended the post in question will ever come together again in another "fresh start post" is nill to none. Few if any of the "experts" will ever see a new question where they might on a subscribed thread. Can this expiration of posting be changed or what is the formula for me or anyone to be able to post to topics older than 3 months? The subject, question and answer in this example is certainly as relevant as it was 3 months or 3 years ago. Stopping posting over an arbitrary date is not the answer. And what about the instance of new discovery where the info presented is discovered to be plain wrong? How many people will go down a wasteful path because something that is quickly archived cannot be amended?

Thanks in advance for anything that resolves this. Perhaps put up a warning sign about posting to old threads but please don't stop it. A date should not stop the flow of sometimes critically important new discoveries or questions over what a misguided algorithm has marked and locked as a too-old topic.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
if you own the topic (started it) or are a VIP or MVM or long time member then the bump rule is extended.
or if you want a mod can post to the end making it acceptable to add to.

yes old topics on old hardware should have as few restrictions as possible but since the limits apply to all types of forums they have to serve many purposes.

probably individual forums should pick their own limit but that isn't supported yet.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
said by justin:

... or long time member then the bump rule is extended.
or if you want a mod can post to the end making it acceptable to add to.

How long = long time member?

Extended = from what to what?

The reason I ask, is that it seems (although I don't have specific examples) that some threads which haven't been posted to in a long while, I can post to and others which seem to have much more recent posts, I cannot post to due to this condition in the topic title.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
if you are level 10 or more (visible at /cap) the limit is 6 months (a topic not updated in 6 months), for the majority of users if it isn't 6 months, it is 3 months.

If the topic is one you started previously, the limit is 6 months.

if you can find an example of an inconsistency let me know

I've nothing against extending the horizon for users that are not new, but it would have to be enabled on a per forum basis.

bbear2
Premium
Great thanks. And what are the factors that contribute or increase ones level?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
A bit vague but being around (authenticated and looking at stuff), posting, writing an ISP review etc. Basically being active increases the level faster than not being around.

bbear2
Premium
reply to justin
Per this page: »Site FAQ »How Do I get STARS (levels)?
it appears that it appears that level 8 is the top level.
quote:
...As points are accumulated you will gain levels, up to 8, which you can see by using the "members" link in the left menu, and "capabilities".
Are you sure about the level 10 that you mentioned?

said by justin:

if you are level 10 or more (visible at /cap) the limit is 6 months (a topic not updated in 6 months), for the majority of users if it isn't 6 months, it is 3 months.

If the topic is one you started previously, the limit is 6 months.

if you can find an example of an inconsistency let me know

I've nothing against extending the horizon for users that are not new, but it would have to be enabled on a per forum basis.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
the levels are not capped. The FAQ is outdated. originally up to 8 were displayed in the /cap page. Now your level, whatever it is, is displayed, and it increments without bound.