elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [Serious] Should consumer border limits be abolished?

It's obvious we have different opinions and I'm providing mine.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 edit

urbanriot

Premium Member

Ah, okay... weird then, that you don't factor taxes into the equation as pretty much everyone hopes for that bonus. I don't know anyone with a large enough vehicle that will buy a TV in Canada since the $40 ECO tax.

42LN5400 LG 42" LCD TV

Best Buy in Canada after taxes - $677.94
(Liberal Eco Fee + taxes)

Best Buy in USA after their taxes - $525.04
Cost if border agents make you pay our taxes - $589.97

So basically it's $87 cheaper to buy a 42" LED LCD in the US rather than Canada. Why wouldn't you buy it in the US?

Considering there's a possibility of avoiding brokerage fees, you could potentially get it for $150 less in the US.

Edit: Adjusted for currency conversion.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by urbanriot:

So basically it's $100 cheaper to buy a 42" LED LCD in the US rather than Canada. Why wouldn't you buy it in the US?

Because BestBuy Canada employs Canadians in their store; pays them a living wage. They pay municipal, provincial, and federal taxes.

That's why!

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

That $40 Liberal Eco tax, which itself is taxed HST, doesn't go to employees.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Ah, okay... weird then, that you don't factor taxes into the equation as pretty much everyone hopes for that bonus. I don't know anyone with a large enough vehicle that will buy a TV in Canada since the $40 ECO tax.

42LN5400 LG 42" LCD TV

Best Buy in USA after their taxes - $509.58
Cost if border agents make you pay our taxes - $572.59

So basically it's $100 cheaper to buy a 42" LED LCD in the US rather than Canada. Why wouldn't you buy it in the US?

Considering there's a possibility of avoiding brokerage fees, you could potentially get it for $160 less in the US.

that TV is available from Costco as well.

»www.costco.ca/LG-42LN540 ··· 951.html

$620.37 taxes in, delivered to your door...it is likely about $30 cheaper if you just pick it up in store, so somewhat comparable to BestBuy USA...also, the US warranty is likely 90 days, vs Costco's 2 year warranty...plus, if you so choose, you can make it a 5 year warranty for only $60...Bestbuy (CAN) wants $150 for 4 years of coverage.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

that TV is available from Costco as well.

»www.costco.ca/LG-42LN540 ··· 951.html

$620.37 taxes in, delivered to your door...

That's not accurate, it's $666.63 taxes in from Costco.

($549.99 + $39.95) * 1.13 = $666.63

It's still $141 cheaper to buy it in the US if they don't bring you in or it's still $76.66 cheaper all taxes in if you buy it in the US and are roped in.

The question is, is it worth $76 to have it shipped from Costco or drive over the river and bring it over in a truck?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

my apologies, i didn't factor in the eco fee...here's a question though, if you bought it from outside of Ontario, why don't you still have to pay the Eco fee??...i guess it would be impossible from out of Province (we don't have customs between provinces), but i would have thought if you were bringing a TV across the border, you would have to pay the ECO fee as well, no?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

42LN5400 LG 42" LCD TV

(Liberal Eco Fee + taxes)

Best Buy in USA after their taxes - $525.04
Cost if border agents make you pay our taxes - $589.97

So basically it's $87 cheaper to buy a 42" LED LCD in the US rather than Canada. Why wouldn't you buy it in the US?

Considering there's a possibility of avoiding brokerage fees, you could potentially get it for $150 less in the US.

Now I own a truck and can shove about a 60" plasma in the back, with my knees in my chest , if you don't own one, you then have to add the cost of the truck into the equation.

Now as I said It's an hour for me, BigSensFan lives in Whitby, so tack on another 30-45 minutes each way for him (just to get to my starting point).
DJ, what's it for you about 2hrs each way?

So yes, if you live in the Niagara region it's damn convenient, but for the rest of us it's not.

Edit: Adjusted for currency conversion.

For me, it's going to cost me about a tank of gas to drive to Buffalo and back (a little over $70 at today's gas prices) .

Then we can talk about time, it takes me roughly and hour to drive to Niagara falls, and currently it's 40m both ways on the lewiston bridge, and roughly 10-20 on the other bridges.

I don;t know if you value your time, but i do value mine.

So at this moment I have to take 2 to 2 3/4 hrs of mine time (and going to the store is a wash) to save maybe (in real money) 80 bucks.

Then we can talk about warranty, why would I buy a $500+ TV effectively "as is" since LG won't warrant the TV in Canada.

When I was looking for tires 2yrs ago I factored all that in, and it was cheaper in the end to buy it at Costco(again time is excluded since value can't really be assessed).

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

said by urbanriot:

Because BestBuy Canada employs Canadians in their store; pays them a living wage. They pay municipal, provincial, and federal taxes.

That's why!

Patriotic shopping, now I've heard it all.
I missed the memo where Samsung/LG/Sharp/Sony/Panasonic moved their head offices, and production to Canada.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by EUS:

said by WhaleOilBee:

said by urbanriot:

That's why!

I missed the memo where Samsung/LG/Sharp/Sony/Panasonic moved their head offices, and production to Canada.

they didn't "move" their head offices (or production) to Canada...but Samsung Canada, LG Canada, Sharp Canada, Sony Canada and Panasonic Canada all have their head offices in, you guess it, Canada...in fact, i've been to a few of them in Mississauga (likely all located in and around that area).

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
same BS eco fee in Quebec btw. Actually I think it's $46 for a tv 29" or larger here in Quebec.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

you would have to pay the ECO fee as well, no?

Thankfully not yet. Think about privatizing provincial taxes, that's what this is. The Liberal government created a self-sustaining tax collection service.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
And what do they do exactly? Run a data entry warranty card place? Call in center? Stock extra pieces that are not fabricated in Canada?
Low wage jobs for low wage populace who produce nothing but a low value service, but keep up the farcical "Canadian jobs first" bit, it gets funnier the longer it occurs.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

....but if you buy your food at Loblaw's rather than (for example) going to a US supermarket near the border, that money you spend at Loblaw's is doing much more for your neighbors who work there, the various taxes that support local services, etc....

[Ironically Loblaw's parent Weston sells a lot of groceries in the USA under the President's Choice brand. Because of that clever brand name, most Americans never imagine that it's a Canadian company! But that brings money back to Canadian hands].

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Groceries are one thing I haven't gotten around to shopping in the states for (yet).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

And what do they do exactly? Run a data entry warranty card place? Call in center? Stock extra pieces that are not fabricated in Canada?
Low wage jobs for low wage populace who produce nothing but a low value service, but keep up the farcical "Canadian jobs first" bit, it gets funnier the longer it occurs.

Warehousing, some customer service, marketing, retailer sales, that's about it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

For me, it's going to cost me about a tank of gas to drive to Buffalo and back (a little over $70 at today's gas prices) .

uhh, you're going to the US so gas would probably be about $45 there. You'd be foolish to fill a tank of gas in Canada if you're going to be in the US. Some of us border people occasionally hop over just to get gas.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Some of us border people occasionally hop over just to get gas.

Hah yup. I haven't done that much in the summer due to the waits on the bridge, but last winter I would go over get gas and be home in about ten minutes.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in the states.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Hah yup. I haven't done that much in the summer due to the waits on the bridge, but last winter I would go over get gas and be home in about ten minutes.

Yea, your closest gas station is closer than mine unless there's a small one just over one of the bridges in Niagara that's closer to yours on Porter.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

said by EUS:

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in the states.

I have. For a long time.
It hasn't brought back manufacturing in either country, and it never will.
But I get that it's easy to point a finger and blame me for wanting to keep more wealth in my pocket, instead of wondering what type of future will come to this ever-increasing-crappy_service-oriented-jobs country we're becoming.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Yea, your closest gas station is closer than mine unless there's a small one just over one of the bridges in Niagara that's closer to yours on Porter.

I try to avoid the one on Porter as they're quite a bit more expensive than the rest, no doubt taking advantage of Canadian traffic. I drive a little further to Tops on Niagara which is priced the same as anywhere else within the City of Buffalo. Things tend to be a bit cheaper when you get south of the city on the other side of the Skyway into Lackawana along the Hamburg Turnpike. I tend to hit up the McKinley Mall out that way when I need to go shopping, allowing me to avoid all the Canadians at the Galleria.

There's a Citgo at the corner of Main and Pine in NFNY fairly close to the Rainbow Bridge. It's closer than the Tops is to the Peace Bridge, which is already close enough as it is. When I'm up that way I usually drive a bit further to the Mobil or the Tops at Portage and Pine, though.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

well, that really depends on the company...the companies you mentioned are all fairly large and employ a substantial number of Canadians...and low wage jobs??...you obviously have no clue what you are talking about...the low wage jobs are the "assembly and production workers", none of which exist here...in case you haven't noticed, most of the people who work at the HQ of big companies are all very well paid people.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

I have. For a long time.
It hasn't brought back manufacturing in either country, and it never will.
But I get that it's easy to point a finger and blame me for wanting to keep more wealth in my pocket, instead of wondering what type of future will come to this ever-increasing-crappy_service-oriented-jobs country we're becoming.

there has been plenty of manufacturing investment in the SE USA over the past 5-10 years...there is opportunity out there.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by EUS:

well, that really depends on the company...the companies you mentioned are all fairly large and employ a substantial number of Canadians...and low wage jobs??...you obviously have no clue what you are talking about...the low wage jobs are the "assembly and production workers", none of which exist here...in case you haven't noticed, most of the people who work at the HQ of big companies are all very well paid people.

Ironic that you're calling me clueless, so clue me in. You're touting these companies as having Canadian offices with Canadian jobs worth protecting, what are they? Be specific.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

nothing ironic about it all...as i said, it really depends on the company.

but you mentioned a few larger ones yourself, Panasonic for example.

these companies all have head offices here (Mississauga and i believe St Laurent for Panasonic, depending on the division you work in)...they have executive staff, marketing, sales and service at various levels (executive, directors, managers, etc)...many also likely have a decent chunk of junior staff comprised of co-op students and recent grads...some may also have warehousing for distribution, so there are all those jobs associated with them as well...factor in cleaning staff, building maintenance, possibly even food service (depending how large their main office is), it is quite possible there may be several hundred people working in the head office, with field staff (regional managers, outside sales, etc) adding several hundred more (or thousand, again, depending on the company).

having worked in the electronics industry before, and being to a few HQ for some of these companies, i can assure you their presence isn't limited to 3 people making minimum wage in some run down corner office in Scarlem.

either way, i'm not here to do your homework for you...if you want to learn about what these companies do, how they contribute to our economy in the many levels they do (municipal, provincial and federal), as well as investment in the community through various charities and organizations, i encourage you to do so.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
here is Panasonic Canada's Head Office in Mississauga.

»maps.google.ca/maps?q=57 ··· ,,0,0.42

over 600 people work out of this office alone.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Well, I've tried to find info on the types of jobs that they have here in QC, and ON, to no avail.
I have found their F/S, and as I suspected, all profit/loss rolls into their head office in Japan, not Canada.
As a consumer, I will still make my purchases where my dollar goes further, which is lucky for some ON retailer who delivers to QC, and does not have a RevQc tax #.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by EUS:

Well, I've tried to find info on the types of jobs that they have here in QC, and ON, to no avail.

i have already posted numerous examples of what kind of jobs are there.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

uhh, you're going to the US so gas would probably be about $45 there. You'd be foolish to fill a tank of gas in Canada if you're going to be in the US.

Tell me about it. I'm an hour away from the border, so I don't go too often, but when I do, you can be damn sure my gas light is going on just as I hit the bridge.