spc
uniqs

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: [Serious] Should consumer border limits be abolished?

What I would like to see changed is how an on-line vendor that operates out of the US and just has a "Canadian" web page... employs no one in Canada... ships the product from the same US warehouse ( Thief River Falls, MN )... charges a flat ($8) delivery fee in North America...

can charge so much more to their Canadian customers.

»www.digikey.ca/product-d ··· D/639537 $498.16
»www.digikey.com/product- ··· JTAGICE2 $436.25

How is that device suddenly worth ~$60 more when it's shipped to Canada? Taxes are on top of that!

I don't know what the gov't can do about that.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by WhaleOilBee:

How is that device suddenly worth ~$60 more when it's shipped to Canada? Taxes are on top of that!

therein lies all the cost of duplicity...Digikey Canada.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by WhaleOilBee:

therein lies all the cost of duplicity...Digikey Canada.

Yeah, really! They had to change the Contact Us page to exclude directions to their office; everything else is the same address and phone.

Funny thing, If you order from the US page, and ship to Canada, you get the US price. I guess they swallow the loss.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by WhaleOilBee:

Yeah, really! They had to change the Contact Us page to exclude directions to their office; everything else is the same address and phone.

Funny thing, If you order from the US page, and ship to Canada, you get the US price. I guess they swallow the loss.

but it isn't the same.

if you buy it from the US site, and simply have it shipped to Canada, getting the US price makes sense.

buying it from the Canadian site, and paying a higher price also makes sense.

DigiKey Canada adds another layer of cost to DigiKey's business...separate entity, separate accounting, separate tax implications, separate banking accounts, separate credit card/paypal transaction/accounts...everything associated with operating DigiKey must be duplicated for DigiKey Canada, even if only "behind the scenes".

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by dirtyjeffer0:

DigiKey Canada adds another layer of cost to DigiKey's business...separate entity, separate accounting, separate tax implications, separate banking accounts, separate credit card/paypal transaction/accounts...everything associated with operating DigiKey must be duplicated for DigiKey Canada, even if only "behind the scenes".

I don't think so. I only see one corporation in both web sites. They just had to register a .ca domain, change "espanol" to "francais", and jack up the prices. Am I wrong? Do you see a Canadian Incorporation anywhere?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by WhaleOilBee:

I don't think so. I only see one corporation in both web sites. They just had to register a .ca domain, change "espanol" to "francais", and jack up the prices. Am I wrong? Do you see a Canadian Incorporation anywhere?

which is why i said "behind the scenes"...it is very possible that DigiKey Canada doesn't have a headquarters, a President, it's own marketing and accounting department here...however, even it's entity would require its own financial accounting and reporting...if DigiKey USA allows you to buy from the US website and ship to Canada, simply do that...be aware you may need to factor in duty and brokerage when it crosses the border, depending on what the item is.
Mustafa7
join:2006-10-04

Mustafa7 to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

What I would like to see changed is how an on-line vendor that operates out of the US and just has a "Canadian" web page... employs no one in Canada... ships the product from the same US warehouse ( Thief River Falls, MN )... charges a flat ($8) delivery fee in North America...

can charge so much more to their Canadian customers.

»www.digikey.ca/product-d ··· D/639537 $498.16
»www.digikey.com/product- ··· JTAGICE2 $436.25

I’ve always found Digikey more expensive then Newark. Here is your same ICD.

Newark

I've found Newark to consistently beat Digikey on almost all actives ,passives and connectors. Typically newark CT prices are comparable to digikeys TR pricing.They also have sales example STM32F205RET6-IC. and Digikey. Newark has the same overnight shipping for 8 bucks too used to be 12. The only reason I ever use Digikey or Mouser is when Newark doesn't have something or Digikey has Alpha and Omega Fets those have some of the best FOM Rdson x Qt.

I can drive to the US or even take my boat and be there in ten minutes or so depending on the line at the border or marina boat launch. I rarely go over there to shop since all this 911 crap. All of a sudden all the border cops think every ones a crazy Muslim terrorist.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by Mustafa7:

I've always found Digikey more expensive than Newark.

I've dealt with Newark before - got my Raspberry Pi from them. So here's a company with offices ( and employees ) in Toronto that can undercut an American company that only has a Canadian webpage, but offices in MN. Shows it can be done!

I rarely go over there to shop since all this 911 crap. All of a sudden all the border cops think every ones a crazy Muslim terrorist.

Not only people with names like "Mustafa". I hate showing them a Canadian passport with the birthplace NY,NY; then having to explain why I don't have an American passport. I must be up to no good.
Mustafa7
join:2006-10-04

Mustafa7

said by WhaleOilBee:

I've dealt with Newark before - got my Raspberry Pi from them. So here's a company with offices ( and employees ) in Toronto that can undercut an American company that only has a Canadian webpage, but offices in MN. Shows it can be done!

Newark is Premier Farnell North American division. I think the largest distrubutor of electronic components in the world. It is primarily a EU company it's largest market. They also have a US website. The main difference is that US and Candian prices are usually pretty similiar. They fluctuate with the dollar.

Digikey has always charged Canuks significantly more then what they charge US customers. I guess they figure we are used to it.
said by WhaleOilBee:

Not only people with names like "Mustafa". I hate showing them a Canadian passport with the birthplace NY,NY; then having to explain why I don't have an American passport. I must be up to no good.

My nyme here is sarcasm . I do have a tanned complexion. My fathers side is Italian, mother is scotch and Irish. I say I'm Candian when people ask not italian Canadian.