dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [Serious] Should consumer border limits be abolished?

said by urbanriot:

Ah, okay... weird then, that you don't factor taxes into the equation as pretty much everyone hopes for that bonus. I don't know anyone with a large enough vehicle that will buy a TV in Canada since the $40 ECO tax.

42LN5400 LG 42" LCD TV

Best Buy in Canada after taxes - $677.94

Best Buy in USA after their taxes - $509.58
Cost if border agents make you pay our taxes - $572.59

So basically it's $100 cheaper to buy a 42" LED LCD in the US rather than Canada. Why wouldn't you buy it in the US?

Considering there's a possibility of avoiding brokerage fees, you could potentially get it for $160 less in the US.

that TV is available from Costco as well.

»www.costco.ca/LG-42LN540 ··· 951.html

$620.37 taxes in, delivered to your door...it is likely about $30 cheaper if you just pick it up in store, so somewhat comparable to BestBuy USA...also, the US warranty is likely 90 days, vs Costco's 2 year warranty...plus, if you so choose, you can make it a 5 year warranty for only $60...Bestbuy (CAN) wants $150 for 4 years of coverage.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

that TV is available from Costco as well.

»www.costco.ca/LG-42LN540 ··· 951.html

$620.37 taxes in, delivered to your door...

That's not accurate, it's $666.63 taxes in from Costco.

($549.99 + $39.95) * 1.13 = $666.63

It's still $141 cheaper to buy it in the US if they don't bring you in or it's still $76.66 cheaper all taxes in if you buy it in the US and are roped in.

The question is, is it worth $76 to have it shipped from Costco or drive over the river and bring it over in a truck?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

my apologies, i didn't factor in the eco fee...here's a question though, if you bought it from outside of Ontario, why don't you still have to pay the Eco fee??...i guess it would be impossible from out of Province (we don't have customs between provinces), but i would have thought if you were bringing a TV across the border, you would have to pay the ECO fee as well, no?

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000

Premium Member

same BS eco fee in Quebec btw. Actually I think it's $46 for a tv 29" or larger here in Quebec.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

you would have to pay the ECO fee as well, no?

Thankfully not yet. Think about privatizing provincial taxes, that's what this is. The Liberal government created a self-sustaining tax collection service.