dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee

Re: [Serious] Should consumer border limits be abolished?

said by WhaleOilBee:

Yeah, really! They had to change the Contact Us page to exclude directions to their office; everything else is the same address and phone.

Funny thing, If you order from the US page, and ship to Canada, you get the US price. I guess they swallow the loss.

but it isn't the same.

if you buy it from the US site, and simply have it shipped to Canada, getting the US price makes sense.

buying it from the Canadian site, and paying a higher price also makes sense.

DigiKey Canada adds another layer of cost to DigiKey's business...separate entity, separate accounting, separate tax implications, separate banking accounts, separate credit card/paypal transaction/accounts...everything associated with operating DigiKey must be duplicated for DigiKey Canada, even if only "behind the scenes".

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by dirtyjeffer0:

DigiKey Canada adds another layer of cost to DigiKey's business...separate entity, separate accounting, separate tax implications, separate banking accounts, separate credit card/paypal transaction/accounts...everything associated with operating DigiKey must be duplicated for DigiKey Canada, even if only "behind the scenes".

I don't think so. I only see one corporation in both web sites. They just had to register a .ca domain, change "espanol" to "francais", and jack up the prices. Am I wrong? Do you see a Canadian Incorporation anywhere?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by WhaleOilBee:

I don't think so. I only see one corporation in both web sites. They just had to register a .ca domain, change "espanol" to "francais", and jack up the prices. Am I wrong? Do you see a Canadian Incorporation anywhere?

which is why i said "behind the scenes"...it is very possible that DigiKey Canada doesn't have a headquarters, a President, it's own marketing and accounting department here...however, even it's entity would require its own financial accounting and reporting...if DigiKey USA allows you to buy from the US website and ship to Canada, simply do that...be aware you may need to factor in duty and brokerage when it crosses the border, depending on what the item is.