AtariBaby

join:2006-03-05
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

AT&T Fiber in San Francisco?

Click for full size
I walked out my door and saw this truck with a big spool of cable. Fiber, I wondered? I asked the driver what it was and he said it was fiber, for AT&T. You may not be able to tell in the second photo they were running the fiber cable from the top of the hill to the bottom of the block, underneath the street. This was on Scott Street between Fulton and McAllister in Alamo Square near downtown SF.

What does it mean? Could AT&T be planning to roll out fiber for my neighborhood? U-Verse already boasts of fiber but I think that is some kind of phony gimmick, since the speed they offer is suspiciously just like DSL speeds and well short of what Comcast gives us. But I digress.

Anyone know the real deal here?

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Probably for more U-Verse deployments.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to AtariBaby

Could it be for Sonic.net? They are going to deploy fiber in San Francisco as well. But the guy wouldn't have said it was for AT&T in that case, though.

»corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/12/15/so···release/

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to AtariBaby

Probably either for U-Verse or for cell sites.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to AtariBaby

I noticed a contractor running fiber in my old neighborhood; but it was only for a Metro-E network to supply fiber to a neighborhood school.

U-verse may be a gimmick, but hardly "phony". In most cases it is, like Comcast, a type of hybrid plant, with fiber to neighborhood nodes (FTTN), and copper to the premises. It is still a form of DSL carried over copper (with the exception of the rare FTTP deployment. In most cases, the average U-verse Internet speed is actually between double and triple the older ADSL speeds.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum