share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

Apple Maps flaw results

An Alaskan airport has closed an aircraft access route because of a flaw with Apple's Maps app.

Fairbanks International Airport told a local newspaper that in the past three weeks two motorists had driven along the taxiway and across one of its runways.

Apple's app directs users along the taxiway but does not specifically tell them to drive on to the runway.

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24246646
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

"They must have been persistent," the airport's assistant manager Angie Spear told the BBC.

"They had to enter the airport property via a motion-activated gate, and afterwards there are many signs, lights and painted markings, first warning that aircraft may share the road and then that drivers should not be there at all.

"They needed to drive over a mile with all this before reaching the runway. But the drivers disregarded all that because they were following the directions given on their iPhones."

Geez, if people are that obedient to their iPhone or to GPS in general, you could write a heck of a mind control story.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

said by PX Eliezer:

Geez, if people are that obedient to their iPhone or to GPS in general...

A great many are. Just like the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz "If I only had a brain".
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

+1

This result is not due to a flaw in a mapping algorithm, it's due to an abdication of personal accountability and common sense.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Name Game

Maybe when they get it perfected..the F-16 will could give it a go.

»now.msn.com/unmanned-f16-flight-···ir-force

Related Stories

Norway blocks Apple map flights 13 AUGUST 2013, TECHNOLOGY
»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23675327
Police warn over Apple Maps error 10 DECEMBER 2012, TECHNOLOGY
»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20663447
Apple apologises for Maps anger 28 SEPTEMBER 2012, TECHNOLOGY
»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19760978
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Name Game

Wait a minute. I can't take a bottle of water through airport security, but I can drive any vehicle I wish directly on to the runway and tamper with the aircraft?

I guess it's because I've always lived in major cities but every airport I've ever seen has numerous layers of physical security preventing anyone from getting anywhere near the airfield. Ignorant drivers and poor mapping algorithms aside, the airfield should be protected by fencing and motion detectors.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by pike:

Ignorant drivers and poor mapping algorithms aside, the airfield should be protected by fencing and motion detectors.

It's Alaska.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to pike

Just have to make sure the motion sensors only sense the airport side of the fence if its one like Laguardia or JFK that has parts that butt up against neighborhoods or the neighborhood kids will run along the fence for the sole purpose of setting them off.(who did not have fun as a kid seeing if you could sneak up on those motion sensing garage lights?)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports