Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

3 recommendations

Avira: Removes SearchFree (Ask.com) Toolbar for 2014

said by ghacks.net | Martin Brinkmann :

Avira plans to replace the browser toolbar with a browser extension. Avira Browser Safety is a web browser add-on that integrates better in the Internet browser. Instead of displaying a horizontal toolbar at all times, it behaves just like any other extension you may run in the browser, so that you only interact with it when necessary and that it is out of the way all the other time.

According to the beta page, the extension will match what the toolbar offered including access to safe search and browsing, and the company's do not track me protection.

The extension has been built from scratch by Avira, while the do not track me capabilities are provided by Abine.

Users who are interested in the new product can apply for testing opportunities. An Avira account is required to do so though.

The product is currently in beta and only available for Google Chrome. Avira announced that it will be made available for other browsers as well, without naming those other browsers. It is very likely that it will be made available for Firefox though.

Although too little too late for many ex-Avira customers, I do see this as a small but positive step in the right direction for Avira. I can only hope their new extension is not provided in partnership with Ask.com, and that Avira immediately dissolves their relationship with them.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Well, well....Avira just got rid of the Notifier ads on the free version!

It's still too little ....too late. They went to the dark side and lost my trust. How does a SECURITY company that screwed up that badly...even amid all the pleas to them to not do it...EVER regain trust?

»forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pa···D=156148
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Dustyn

Re:

I dont blame you Mele!!!

This is one reason I DONT LIKE INSTALLERS!! (You dont know what might be installing (I prefer stand alone EXEs))

More and more now THEY TRY AND SLIP CRAP ON YOUR COMPUTER!!

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn

Re: Avira: Removes SearchFree (Ask.com) Toolbar for 2014

To late. They lost a big customer base and cannot be trusted again.
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Dustyn

Re: Avira: Removes SearchFree (Ask.com) Toolbar for 2014

I have yet to figure out how they went 'to the dark side' - been using them for years on my machine and have no complaints. Don't love the nag screen but there are far better things to worry about.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to Dustyn
Taken from Dustyn's link above: "... developed and built by our partner Ask ..."

IMO, an AV company that considers Ask its partner is hard to trust. They have definitely lost my trust -- with or without this toolbar.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Based on that - a large chunk of the freeware software on my machine would be 'untrustworthy'.

"A partnership is an arrangement in which parties agree to cooperate to advance their mutual interests"

Allowing users to download Ask toolbar with Avira (while being allowed to NOT download it) is a partnership but has nothing to do with anything else. I have yet to figure out how it makes Avira less of an AV. The Ask toolbar is not a virus and Avira does NOT force the person to download or use it.

If it is taken as anything more - then I think the folks are getting worked up simply because they want an excuse to get worked up.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Depends on how the choice is offered. I know of one company which hides the choice in the "Advanced" install; choose, "Default - Recommended" and the "Opt out" of the partnered crapware is not presented. I gave up on Avira over other issues, so I don't know how they present the choice.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed
Didn't you read my post and the link? Nag screen is NO MORE. But that doesn't make a difference really as they did go to the dark side. Why even bother with AV since your AV has placed spyware on your computer and you said that doesn't bother you so you have no need for an AV! Yeah, Avira is finally realizing they have to remove the spyware due to massive customer backlash and they are also removing the nag screen but the problem is that you can never trust a company that forced sleazeware on the free users...even if eventually they remove it (but only after the massive lost of customers).

Didn't you read the thread here about it?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Mele20:

Why even bother with AV since your AV has placed spyware on your computer and you said that doesn't bother you so you have no need for an AV!

Despite your hyperbole, spyware is not the same kind of threat threat as viruses.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum