how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

FF has gotten really sluggish lately

It's like my keyboard buffer gets filled and then stops for a few seconds until it spits out what I've typed. I know it's FF becuase I can type as fast as I want in other programs without a problem. Just updated today from 23 to 24 but didn't fix anything. It's borderline unusable. Any ideas?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Lets start with what is your processor, and memory. How long has it been going on? If you hardware is really old, and you're trying to use the latest Firefox on a decade old computer with a limited amount of memory it can cause it to be slow to respond. If you have at least a dual core processor, and at least 2GB of ram you're probably fine in that department.

Another easy check would be to run Firefox in safe mode, or turn off the hardware acceleration to see if that's part of the problem.
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tro···r=1&as=s

In more extreme cases with all the changes they made to profiles it's easy to make a new profile, and if it's not a problem on the new profile the old profile is corrupt. In my opinion the changes over the many versions, and additions extensions can make can cause problems with the profile. It's suggested you leave your old profile alone, and just see if the new profile responds better, even start re-adding in the extension in one by one to see if they start causing the undesirable behavior.
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pro···profiles
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

lmacmil

South Bend, IN

I'll look into some of this. I have a 2.5ghz dual-core 64-bit AMD CPU running Win7 with 4GB of RAM.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

I have two 1.8Ghz Core2 boxes with 2GB ram and have no issues with Firefox on either whatsoever. I have friends and relatives with slow boxes who use me for tech support. None have complained of any such issues with Firefox.

It's not Firefox unless something happened to it from elsewhere.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to lmacmil

I have a family member on a old single core, and less than 2GB so that's why I asked. I hate working on their computer since most modern software uses so much resources, and takes longer on the older processor.

Those two things I gave you shouldn't have taken too long, and if this only happens after flash elements are loaded in a page like music players, videos, and ads you can also try disabling gpu acceleration in flash, just right click a youtube video for example to find it's settings, unfortunately they were not bright enough to put it somewhere else also.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

lmacmil

South Bend, IN
reply to lmacmil

I started FF in safe mode and it was fine. Restarted and it is better even though I haven't disabled anything yet. Will start disabling extensions one at a time until I figure it out.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to lmacmil

There seems to be a longer pause between the click on the icon, till the time the application opens.

Past few days I've been double and triple opening, thinking I missed the icon...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle