join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 edit

1 recommendation

Coma to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS

Re: [Cam] Help, helping a friend

I like the Panasonic line of cameras, so much that I have purchased 4 of them in the last 8 years . . . but thats just me.

What does your friend want to do with the camera ?

Does she need a fast lens, telephoto capabilities or a purse sized shooter for documentation ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the top cameras . . . »www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 0,00.asp

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

She just asked me today, and we didn't have time to discuss details. I thought if I researched the top 5 cameras, I would be able to answer her questions later. I have not had a point and shoot camera for a couple of years, and it was old then. I know many improvements must have been made, and I haven't kept up.

I can almost bet ease of use will be one of the requirements, and guessing I would say pocketable.
SueS

SueS to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

I like the Panasonic line of cameras, so much that I have purchased 4 of them in the last 8 years . . . but thats just me.

Can you give me three reasons why I might want this camera over other choices?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

Coma

Premium Member

How about 4 . . .

Fast & Bright Leica Optics [F1.4]
Large 10.1MP MOS Sensor [1/1.7”]
Aperture Control Ring
Full HD 1080/60p Video

»shop.panasonic.com/shop/ ··· DMC-LX7K

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Good reasons!
If a camera is shot on auto mode, does ease of use make any difference from one model to another?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by SueS:

If a camera is shot on auto mode, does ease of use make any difference from one model to another?

I wouldn't think so.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

jvmorris to SueS

MVM

to SueS
If she's likely to rely on auto mode, I would agree that 'ease of use' is unlikely to be a determining consideration (at least in the mode of use context), but there are other factors that may be critical to her preference -- even in auto mode.

What's auto mode on one P&S may be considerably different than what's auto on another. Initially, we used the term 'auto mode' to just refer to a camera that would automatically select a combination of an aperture and exposure time based on the metered scene. Since then, it's expanded (for some cameras from some manufacturers) to incorporate auto white balance, auto ISO and even intelligent matrix metering.

And then there's the issue of how a particular manufacturer automates 'auto mode' on a particular camera model. For example, let's assume it does some sort of 3-D matrix metering by design. Given the sophisticated microprocessors in today's cameras, it's entirely possible that a particular camera may evaluate the measured incident light measurements and conclude "Oh, I say, this must be a sunset on a landscape scene!" and adjust the captured image accordingly. Another camera (possibly from another manufacturer) might evaluate the same metering information and decide it's not a sunset scene.

I think that for most cameras, it's exceptionally difficult to ascertain how auto mode is implemented even after reading reviews (which seldom spend much time on that issue). Even a particular reviewer's comments are going to be heavily influenced by their own preferences. One almost has to do 'hands-on' testing.

Ease of use, taken on its own, conjures up an entirely different set of questions to me. How easy is the camera to handle? (Is it too big, too small, or just the right size?) Are the controls (including the shutter release in particular) where I find them comfortable? Is it too heavy, too light? If I do want to change settings, how easy is it to do? (Are they implemented via external controls or an on-screen display? And which do I prefer?) How easy is it (and what's the nature of) the information I can display about an image before I decide to capture it? As for a personal example, my hands are slightly smaller than average for an adult male, but my wife's are absolutely tiny by comparison. She loves her Nikon D5200 for its size and weight as a consequence, but I can hardly use it.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Thank you, you brought up some good points I hadn't thought about.