uniqs
share rss forum feed

sixstring

join:2002-09-16
Pasadena, CA

[Plumbing] Possible leak?

Click for full size
Leak?
This is right by the tub, sometimes water may collect there for a bit. But from the look of the baseboards, i think it might be a leak in the pipe behind the wall. Thoughts?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
more like drips are getting picked up by the unsealed base of the skirting board.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by justin:

more like drips are getting picked up by the unsealed base of the skirting board.

What the australian said.
Caulk it.
Why is there wood/MDF baseboard inside a bathroom?

z aXis
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to sixstring
Personally I would open up that small section of wall. The paint is bubbling on the trim directly by the leak and possibly running along the bottom of it. It might be from that connection directly on the shut-off or there might be a leak directly behind it. Either way I would definitely address the leak.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
reply to sixstring
Agree with other posts it may be a leak but more likely condensation.

/tom

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

2 recommendations

reply to sixstring
Is that black human hair or a crack showing through the wall surface going vertically about one half inch left of the pipe escutcheon?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to sixstring
Wrap the faucet with toilet paper. If it doesn't get wet in 1 day the leak is behind the wall.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to sixstring
You can see the tub edge on the left. The bubble is centered on the tile grout line, which is where spillover from the tub would collect since it's the lowest point.

The drywall doesn't look impacted, at least from this picture. Simplest thing to do would be to pull the baseboard, then you can both inspect the drywall behind it, and replace/re-finish the trim.

Have you turned that toilet valve recently? That type of valve likes to leak once disturbed. Most of the plumbers I've talked to want to change them to the quarter-turn type. I almost always have to tighten a bit after use if they haven't been exercised in a while. I kind of doubt this is your issue, though.

Why is there wood/MDF baseboard inside a bathroom?

There are certainly good reasons not to do it, but in my area the overwhelming majority of homes are this way (and, I'm not far from the OP). I usually see tiled trim is in commercial spaces only.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sixstring
Click for full size
I PS the photo. It seems just like water splashing from the tub seeping into the baseboard and making the wood swell or paint bubble from the tub rightward. Notice the hard water stain near the tub/floor/trim. I'd suggest take out the trim and replace with pvc interior type of trim. Or get a tub splash guard. »www.google.com/search?q=tub+spla···ie=UTF-8

Next time anyone takes a shower look at the floor closely and see if that the splash from the tub is causing it.

sixstring

Pasadena, CA
reply to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

Is that black human hair

sorry, its just hair.

sixstring

Pasadena, CA
reply to sixstring
i didnt use that bathroom last night, and it dried up today. So i think its just like what most of you suggested.. possibly condensation or just water from the tub was collecting in the grout area.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

Have you turned that toilet valve recently? That type of valve likes to leak once disturbed. Most of the plumbers I've talked to want to change them to the quarter-turn type.

Nine times out of ten, I'll bet that's the case ! When I buy a new flush valve, faucet, etc, I also buy a new, 1/4-turn shutoff at the same time. Too many times, I'd replace the part that was "broken" and thought I was done, then have one of those shutoffs leak !

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to sixstring
The grout line in the tile is a low spot that is steering any water that is on the floor in that area right to the baseboard.
I'm betting the water source is external, too. Drips from the tub and or condensation from the toilet tank.