share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

[Internet] Speed Test Changes....

You will notice a new and improved Speed Test at »speedtest.bhn.net/ Let us know what you think and if you have any questions by all means let me know.

Key things to remember wired connections only are what count from a speed benchmarking perspective. While I will certainly help you get those max speeds out of your wireless performance any odd behavior there should not be interpreted as a service issue.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL

I like the look of it. Weird that it tested to Atlanta from Daytona Beach though.

EDIT: on a second test it picked Orlando. Speed and latency was back up to normal.

DCELL
RC J1DC-SP L

join:2010-06-17
Ocoee, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Like it. On a side note, our download speeds have consistently been 10Mbps over what we're paying for, uploads generally right on what we have.
--
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

I like the look of it. Weird that it tested to Atlanta from Daytona Beach though.

EDIT: on a second test it picked Orlando. Speed and latency was back up to normal.

It's going to pick the best server for you automatically. Don't worry about that and it will change depending on a number of factors all of them good and the proper way to benchmark.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

And remember a single test that is odd is not an issue....consistent tests that are well "off" then perhaps something to take a longer look...

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Seems OK but why did it always find Atlanta first? Once I stopped the test (closed the FF tab) and re-opened the link it found Orlando. Speed graph is MUCH smoother for Orlando than Atlanta, but speed is about the same. Ping is twice as fast to Orlando vs. Atlanta (understandable).

Also, this is OOKLA, and I have the OOKLA test on my iPad's. Looks better on the iPad but the results (wireless, I know) are less.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

Seems OK but why did it always find Atlanta first? Once I stopped the test (closed the FF tab) and re-opened the link it found Orlando. Speed graph is MUCH smoother for Orlando than Atlanta, but speed is about the same. Ping is twice as fast to Orlando vs. Atlanta (understandable).

Also, this is OOKLA, and I have the OOKLA test on my iPad's. Looks better on the iPad but the results (wireless, I know) are less.

Irv look up....all those questions have already been answered....cmon man.
--

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

I was just confirming the 2nd posters comments. One would think the 'best' would be the same every time? Checked the iPad and it always finds Orlando. Does it 'default' to Atlanta first?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I was just confirming the 2nd posters comments. One would think the 'best' would be the same every time? Checked the iPad and it always finds Orlando. Does it 'default' to Atlanta first?

The test server will change depending on a number of factors. Do NOT focus on which server you test from....that server was choosen based on what will give the most consistent and accurate test at that given moment.
--

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I dont know if I can trust the results. Ive never had 12ms latency on this computer under *any* circumstance, always been around 45ms or more.
Never had almost full speed download with AVG running either.

Coisco

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

Just clicked on Link....got "ERROR INVALID LICENSE"

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

I liked the way it was before i had better speeds. Now it goes to 68 down and drops to like 58 strange. I get better speeds on speedtest.net and speedtest.west.rr.com. Maybe its just the local Bakersfield server i dunno hmm. But the layout is pretty nice Before the change I had a Latency of 7 ms usually now its like 9-10 ms I will continue to monitor the speeds from that site.
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

geo44

Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Coisco

I got that error to , just click refresh , that fixed it for me.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Coisco

said by [Coisco :

]Just clicked on Link....got "ERROR INVALID LICENSE"

I need to know what server gave you that msg.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Guide_Tim

said by Guide_Tim:

I liked the way it was before i had better speeds. Now it goes to 68 down and drops to like 58 strange. I get better speeds on speedtest.net and speedtest.west.rr.com. Maybe its just the local Bakersfield server i dunno hmm. But the layout is pretty nice Before the change I had a Latency of 7 ms usually now its like 9-10 ms I will continue to monitor the speeds from that site.

The end result matters not the progress during the test...do NOT focus on the pretty little graph it will fluctuate to some degree that is normal.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to geo44

said by geo44:

I got that error to , just click refresh , that fixed it for me.

Same thing applies to you...need to know what server gave you the msg.
--

geo44

Saint Petersburg, FL

The error screen came up immediately , didnt even get to the speed test screen. there was just some blurb about licensing - no server was indicated.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by geo44:

The error screen came up immediately , didnt even get to the speed test screen. there was just some blurb about licensing - no server was indicated.

Alright....looking into it.... guys this stuff will happen...even with ooodles of testing behind the scenes...nothing better than letting a few of you try to break it....some of you better than others lol
--

geo44

Saint Petersburg, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by geo44:

Alright....looking into it.... guys this stuff will happen...even with ooodles of testing behind the scenes...nothing better than letting a few of you try to break it....some of you better than others lol

I dont know if this makes a diff, but Im on win XP sp3 and
running firefox 23.0.1

PS: I love to break things

Cisco

@bhn.net
reply to Coisco

It does not show the Server......you just see the Error message

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

It's working for me.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tim tim tim

Please clear your browser and dns cache....and try again....

Cisco

@bhn.net

Yep; that worked...not sure which one or both did the trick since I just preformed both before trying the site

kmdean

join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

When I first ran it last night, it tested to Atlanta 2 or 3 times as around 14 Mbps. I then had it test to Orlando at 34 Mbps (much better). So far today just Orlando, no Atlanta.

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Ran 5 tests each from FF and IE11. (orlando 10ms)They were both the same this time. Speed is about the same as the previous version of BHN speedtest. Happy I am getting "more" that what I am supposed to

Milkman

join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Tested numerous times from Chrome. Went to Atlanta each time, but my speeds were correct and my ping was between 23 and 29 ms each time.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Reminder...benchmarking should only be done on a WIRED connection! If you want to test on wireless for fun that is fine...however....the only relevant test is from a WIRED connection.

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

Click for full size
Just for grins, tried my android to compare. Android 11105/1189, FF wired 11490/1260. (10/1 Service)