SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Dryer vent clean out

So, What is the best way to clean my Dryer vent?
I have a flexable tube from the Dryer connected to the wall,
the wall has a metal tube going up about 5 feet, then has a 90 turn, with about 6 feet..

Thanks

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

I like the leafblower method

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
»www.amazon.com/Gardus-RL ··· 014CN8Y8
You can also buy it at Lowe's, and it works really well. I use the small brush and one extension to clean the coil under my fridge.
LineNoise
join:2006-06-25
Downers Grove, IL

LineNoise to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Leaf blower and brush attached to the end of a fish tape! Bird nests will fly using a leaf blower!

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

You can also buy it at Lowe's, and it works really well. I use the small brush and one extension to clean the coil under my fridge.

Where would the lint go? It looks like it would just fall down the tube to the dryer.

and thanks everyone for your input so far.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
What I do is disconnect the flexible tube from the dryer (mine has a large hose clamp), scrub it out with a dryer lint brush into a trashcan, collapsing it as I go and cleaning as much as I can with the brush. Repeat at the other (outdoors) end of the flexible tube.
Any smooth-walled rigid tube won't collect much lint.
Then, turn the dryer on (air/fluff/no heat) and a bunch of loose lint gets blown outside. While it's running, go back outside, collect any lint from the vent, and scrub around the vent a bit more.
Repeat every 3 months, or at least once a year.
Use the lint brush on the inside lint trap path once in a while, too.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
It depends how you do it. I try whenever possible to go outside and run the brush inside to the dryer. Once it reaches the dryer I turn the dryer on. From the outside use a drill to spin the brush and slowly pull out, bringing all the lint outside with you. You can also do it from the inside using a shopvac, from the outside with a shopvac, from the inside with the dryer, or even use the leaf blower. Basically the instructions and pieces that come in the kit give you several different options.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Yes - I used the same thing as ken (or the Lowes' equivalent). I used my shopvac on the blower, and used my drill with 2-3 extensions on my dryer vent. Yes - I just dumped it on the ground outside the dryer vent. I was amazed how much I got out and how much difference it made in drying times.

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

Where would the lint go? It looks like it would just fall down the tube to the dryer.

Bought the same kit Ken did with an extension set from Lowes, I read about it on this forum in past. Using an electric blower I run it from inside after pulling dryer out. I've used it on several different places with long runs and it's worked great each time.

Current place is setup like you describe in orig post, dryer in inside room with run up wall and then 90's out to outside. It too is a rigid vent and it was packed full on the vertical run.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

I just wanted to update this post..

I bought this
and it works great!!! Night and day difference...

I highly recommend it! Very easy to use and it took out 99% of the lint.
From start to finish was only 45 min and it only took that long because it wasn't done in years so I wanted to make sure it was mostly all out.
The laundry was done in 30 min compared to 45 min.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
What about when the vent goes up to the roof? I've been wanting to do mine but that is where my problems lies.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 edit

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Boricua:

What about when the vent goes up to the roof? I've been wanting to do mine but that is where my problems lies.

I bet it would do just fine, if it isn't long enough, you have to buy the Extension kit for it.
»www.amazon.com/Gardus-R3 ··· _cp_hi_1

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

Thank you. As soon as I get paid, I'll order this.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
May hire a company to do it, don't own a leaf blower, and it's a Condo, so don't really have any outdoor items like leafblowers or drills or stuff..

Looking into companies to do it at this point for ours.