Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

App permissions

I have a question, some of my apps want to be updated. However before you update it, it tells you that it needs access to certain areas within your cell phone. Some I don't mind however a bunch recently are asking to adjust system tools or personal info. For example on a google maps app, it says the update allows it to prevent the phone from going to sleep. And something about being able to read data from my personal contacts including the frequency of how much and how I contact them. Heck the one ESPN app is asking something about not allowing the phone to sleep.

Am I being too paranoid about questioning why it needs access to this stuff? Shouldn't some of this stuff be an option within the app? (Maybe it is but I haven't d/l it yet to see as I assume it is not an option).

(fyi its an android phone)

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by Voxxjin:

Am I being too paranoid about questioning why it needs access to this stuff?

(fyi its an android phone)

You're not paranoid. Some apps overreach and request permissions that make no sense for what the app does. Some target ads to your phone, some wake your phone, some read contacts, others want your location.

For an explanation of what each permission allows and why it allows them see »www.androidcentral.com/l ··· missions or Google app permission.

Recently someone on this site asked why Root or Unlock the phone and why install custom ROMs. If you do these things you can stop ads, forbid apps from locating you and keep your contacts private. Of course if you use Social Networking you must allow the apps permission for sharing almost everything I've mentioned.

You didn't say what version of Android you are using but the newest version, 4.3, includes a Permission Manager or Privacy Manager that allows you to control permissions. Most ad blockers need a rooted phone.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

version 4.1.2
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
Those permissions are normal and you really don't need to worry about them. They can all be explained. They way that they are required to be listed make it seem like they want the world, but they don't. For example, maps and other apps ask to keep the display from going dark so that they can offer the _option_ to stay on the screen and provide a visual reference when you navigate (using maps as an example). Maps needs access to your phone as well as you can use it to search for local businesses and then dial them from the app. You can also share information with your contacts from the app, so it needs to have access to your contracts. All of these things are normal.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Voxxjin

MVM

to Voxxjin
Yeah, Maps don't need my contacts. Besides, Google has my contacts. So now they are going outside of acceptable. Maps will never be updated until they remove that or I have a stable version with a permission manager.

99% of apps ask for something they have no business asking for.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

version 4.1.2

If you can upgrade to 4.3 or root your device you will be able to control your apps.

The pics show the app privacy settings and the way you can control "runaway apps" that ask for too many permissions.

I wondered why Car Sound Effect Ringtones app wants to read and modify my contacts and call logs. No reason so I disabled it.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Honestly i don't feel good enough to try rooting a phone. And I tried to see if I could update the system and it says everything is up-to-date.

I guess some apps won't get updated. I guess i wish apps allowed you more options to control them.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to Lone Wolf

Premium Member

to Lone Wolf
said by Lone Wolf:

I wondered why Car Sound Effect Ringtones app wants to read and modify my contacts and call logs. No reason so I disabled it.

I don't know the app but I'm guessing it allows you to assign a ringtone to certain contacts? I so, this is the reason why it needs access and be able to modify contacts.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by tcope:

I don't know the app but I'm guessing it allows you to assign a ringtone to certain contacts? I so, this is the reason why it needs access and be able to modify contacts.

The app still works after I disabled the permissions. It has some of the loudest ringtones. Disabling the permissions allowed the app to add a default ringtone and notification but disallowed me from assigning individual ringtones to specific contacts (which I never used anyway).

That was only an example as there are many apps asking for coarse and fine location, read and modify contacts, read and modify call log, etc and they are unneeded for the apps to work.

I'm not a privacy freak but I don't like these permissions. If and when the current crop of Android phones is upgraded to 4.3 OTA people will see the app permissions and will be able to change them. Those who are unlocked and rooted are able to remove most advertisements along with these permissions now.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I don't think apps obtain permissions that they may not need. Some could be disabled and the app will still work but this is only because the user is not using that option. Apps need to list all possible permissions they need. The system us set up so the developer needs to show all permissions that could be needed. While some apps can be Rouge, almost none are.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by tcope:

I don't think apps obtain permissions that they may not need.
......snip..................................While some apps can be Rouge, almost none are.

My friend, you may be right about "almost", but I'm sure there are some. And it doesn't hurt to check permissions as many will do when they get the 4.3 update. Then the questions about privacy will really begin!

Because of you I had to check the spelling of Rogue to make sure I wasn't spelling it wrong.

While checking your spelling I came across this January 2013 post from »www.adweek.com/news/tech ··· s-146899 :
quote:
And there’s the Baltimore Ravens Wallpaper, an app produced by the prolific developer David Fridman (who produces Wallpaper apps for nearly every NFL and NHL team). Not only is the Wallpaper connection to the league tenuous at best, but the app also requires users' permission to access their phones' GPS (in other words, to find out where they are exactly) and to modify their browser history—and even “allows the app to read the history of all URLs that the browser has visited and all of its bookmarks.”

Sounds a bit excessive, right? Even if these app developers wanted to use some nonidentifiable user data for ad-targeting purposes, a person's name, number and real-life locations seem to be pushing way beyond privacy boundaries.
I hope you smiled when you read my post.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I was typing on my phone kind of fast. My main point was that some permissions _seem_ excessive when they are really harmless. Ringtone apps are a good example. It may seem odd that a ringtone app needs to "change" contact information but that permission description is very general in nature. As mentioned, there may be an option to add a ringtone to certain contacts. So the contact information needs to be "changed". But in this case its just adding the ringtone in that person's contact entry.

There is nothing wrong with stopping permissions but the app may not function correctly. But also, is someone going to dissect every permission on every app and see how it applies to them? Personally, I'd rather look at the developer and the ratings rather then look at each and every permission of each and every app.

But there is certainly nothing wrong with reviewing that information and stopping permissions you don't think are required.

On ads.... I don't think Google will design Android to "kill" ads but I also don't agree with people blocking them. Ad allow us to use apps for free as they pay the developer. If you don't like ads, spend the $.99 and buy the ad free app. If enough people don't pay and bypass the ads, developers will stop developing Android apps.

I'll just "add" one more thing. I use a free Alarm app that is _very_ good. It has ads. As if I'm going to wake up and read an ad before hitting the snooze button? I think it's kind of funny.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

...Am I being too paranoid about questioning why it needs access to this stuff? Shouldn't some of this stuff be an option within the app? (Maybe it is but I haven't d/l it yet to see as I assume it is not an option)...

I don't think you are being paranoid at all. I think the rest are being too naive or just don't care (ignorance is bliss).

As an example, there's a Costco app with permissions which are approx:
quote:
Storage - modify or delete SD content.
System tools - prevent phone from sleeping
Your location - precise
services that cost your money - direcly call phone numbers
phone call - read phone status and identity
hardware controls - take pictures and videos
network consummations - full
system tools - run at startup
Network communication - view network comms, received data from internet
Dev tools - test access to protected storage.
I'm hard pressed to understand why that coupon book app needs to directly call phone numbers, etc.

And another example is a simple flashlight app called Brightest LED flashlight by Surpax Technology. Here are the approx permissions it needs:
quote:
Storage - modify or delete SD content.
System tools - prevent phoen from sleeping, ...
Your location - precise
phone call - read phone status and identity
hardware controls - t...
network conmmucations - ...
system tools - run at startup
Network communication - view network comms, received data from internet
Dev tools - test access to protected storage.
I struggle to understand why a flashlight program needs my location, phone status, identity, etc., especially where there are flashlight programs with very reasonable permissions. And yet it has over 10M (that's million) downloads.

The list goes on and on. And yes, people should read the permissions an app is requesting and if you disagree with them, move on.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Thw Costco app probably has the ability to search for nearby locations and dial their phone numbers. I can't speak for the flashlight app as I don't want to install it and the developers website real crap. Just based on the website I'd not install the app.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I wish they would include a WHY whenit says it needs/wants access to location, contacts, etc.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
The thing is permission category definitions are very broad. Apps need to list WHY they need/want those permissions and the limits they will stay within.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
I asked a similar question a while back and someone recommended an app that allows you to change the permissions of other apps. It does not require rooting.
I have not tried it yet but it may be just what you are looking for. Here is that original topic/thread:
»Possible to change app permissions?