Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

iOS 7 adoption rates

I'm not sure how accurate these things are in measuring upgrades, since, I believe it's based on traffic, which might present a misleading statistic as upgraders might be more likely to spend more time online.
In any event, it looks like almost 60% of iOS traffic now comes from iOS7...if so, that's an amazingly high adoption rate...IMHO

»www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c···-Tracker

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
iOS 6 was awful and iOS 7 was the savior we needed.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5
said by Mike:

iOS 6 was awful and iOS 7 was the savior we needed.

Are you serious ?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Mike
Dear lord I hope you are joking. It may also help at iOS 7 will download itself onto your phone and take up unwanted space. Sucks if you have a 16 GB phone.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet9
Yes.

iOS 6 was the worst one to date.

Wifi problems are gone with iOS 7.
Battery life is marginally better after you turn crap off.
Flat design.
Flat design.
Flat design.
Still bitter about Maps.
Siri is better in iOS 7.
Ability to search emails and not take 5 minutes is fixed in iOS 7.
iOS 7 gives you app auditing for data and can turn off specific apps for cellular usage.
Auto Updating apps.
Exchange problems are fixed in iOS 7.

iOS 7 is the best one so far. With a few minor release fixes it'll be even better.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

haroldo

united state

1 edit
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

... Sucks if you have a 16 GB phone.

Have two (iPad and iPhone) with 16 GB, absolutely no problem at all with space. I imagine most people with space issues have a massive Camera Roll file and are unaware about how to manage it and go about emptying it.

said by Mike:

Exchange problems are fixed in iOS 7.

I was 'grandfathered' with gmail Exchange on iOS 6, but unable to connect to server on iOS 7

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Just thinking from a point of it being over a Gb, taking up that space if you have no desire to upgrade.

haroldo

united state
I guess it's easier doing an iTunes upgrade (if space is a consideration)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to Mike
Never had/have wifi problems.
Battery life seems the same to my friends, some say better some say worse.
Yuck.
Gross.
Kid like.
Maps was/is a disaster.
Siri is still trumped by Google Search.
I guess I never noticed the email search taking that long.
Interesting about turning off the apps, like having that on my Galaxy S4.
Auto update not a huge deal, again nice on my Galaxy S4.
Didn't have exchange, can't comment.

To me iOS 6 jail broken is the end of the line until they give you the ability to change themes or something. The pastel Jordan almond look to it is something that should be on a toy My Pretty Pony phone.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

I guess it's easier doing an iTunes upgrade (if space is a consideration)

Correct, but iOS 7 is downloading automatically to people's phones when
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

1 edit
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

I was 'grandfathered' with gmail Exchange on iOS 6, but unable to connect to server on iOS 7

Same here with my daughter's 5s when we setup last night, Google doesn't allow new devices to be setup with Exchange ActiveSync:
»support.google.com/a/bin/answer.···=2716936

It is Google trying to force us to pay for Google Apps for Business.

Otherwise iOS7 and Mail.app/Exchange is working great with two other Exchange server accounts that I use.

On a related note, a month ago when my daughter needed a Blogger account for 11th grade English it was also a "sorry" from Google as they push for upgrades from Google Apps for Business customers that were promised a free service.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ptrowski
My N router would have occasional drops with 6. Was fine with 5, fine with 7.

802.11X was a freaking nightmare with iOS 6. I almost completely lost a device because persistent wifi didn't work on 6. Luckily I found it where I lost it 2 weeks later. As soon as I picked it up, opened it up, it connected to WiFi and find my shit went crazy and I got a bunch of messages.

Yes, because skeuomorphic non-sense totally isn't silly at all.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
It all depends on environment I guess. My phones have zero issue with my Asus router.

Not saying skeuomorphic is the be all end all, just that the pastel nonsense they chose looks like a kids design and color scheme. No thanks.

haroldo

united state
said by ptrowski:

... just that the pastel nonsense they chose looks like a kids design and color scheme. No thanks.

Just wondering...will Mavericks have the same font/color scheme?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by haroldo:

said by ptrowski:

... just that the pastel nonsense they chose looks like a kids design and color scheme. No thanks.

Just wondering...will Mavericks have the same font/color scheme?

Nope, although many apps have lost their skeuomorphism:
»www.apple.com/osx/preview/

In my experience with iOS 7, the wallpaper plays a huge role in the overall look of the OS. I normally keep mine a nearly solid dark color (used to be dark blue on iOS 5/6, now the built-in dark gray/black one), and I'm happy with how iOS 7 looks. If I switch it to a brighter wallpaper, I start to like it less. And for the people that like to put pictures as their wallpaper... well... They're probably in for a rough time.

The two visual things I prefer from iOS 6 are the old keyboard and list selector (the pin-wheel list that comes up when selecting things on web forms and in apps). The new ones don't have enough contrast, imo.

Other than those cosmetic differences, iOS 7 is a much needed and welcomed upgrade in every other way.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Can you post some screenshots? Would be interested in seeing them.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to ptrowski
If you're jailbroken, it's pretty easy to kill the automatic software download.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
And mine is. I am talking about the thousands of people that aren't.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06

1 recommendation

Well, most of them will just upgrade. If I weren't jailbroken, I would.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to ptrowski
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by ptrowski:

Some examples taken from my 4S. The black background is the one I currently use. The others are included with iOS 7. IMO, white/light backgrounds make things look downright horrible in some cases (I usually find the text much more difficult to read quickly). However, with the dark background most things actually look nicer compared to iOS 6.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

haroldo

united state
said by Thinkdiff:

said by ptrowski:

. IMO, white/light backgrounds make things look downright horrible in some cases (I usually find the text much more difficult to read quickly). However, with the dark background most things actually look nicer compared to iOS 6.

+1

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

IMO, white/light backgrounds make things look downright horrible in some cases (I usually find the text much more difficult to read quickly). However, with the dark background most things actually look nicer compared to iOS 6.

And I think just the opposite -- I dislike the look of the folders and spotlight when a dark background is used -- it's not transparent enough... but I do like a dark background for the lockscreen.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

haroldo

united state
said by darcilicious:

And I think just the opposite -- I dislike the look of the folders and spotlight when a dark background is used -- it's not transparent enough... but I do like a dark background for the lockscreen.

I tried at least ten separate backgrounds, going from light to dark to try and find one that I hated the least (as there were none that I liked). I settled for dark and yes, I agree, it's not great, but for me, better than the alternative

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to haroldo
I use sort of a split background, partially darker and partially lighter
Works for me

View is from one of my favorite canyons on the edge of Tucson

haroldo

united state

1 edit
said by Liberty:

I use sort of a split background, partially darker and partially lighter
Works for me...

That would be fine... but not as a lock screen. I had a similarly shaded background and couldn't read an incoming phone number.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Liberty
That's not a bad approach; I do like the the "gradient" wallpapers that are available by default (there are three) more than I dislike them. I'll probably make a few of my own this weekend with colorschemes I like more.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to haroldo
Why not keep your eye out for a scene in your daily travels that would provide the gradient or color saturation that you feel would suit your needs - and snap it into your camera roll?
Easy enough to make it your lock screen background

haroldo

united state

2 recommendations

said by Liberty:

Why not keep your eye out for a scene in your daily travels that would provide the gradient or color saturation that you feel would suit your needs - and snap it into your camera roll?
Easy enough to make it your lock screen background

I went black, so I'm not going back

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Nope, although many apps have lost their skeuomorphism

Maybe in the next Mac OS? I really like the new look, but it feels weird to have OS X and iOS so out of sync now. Although, when I think about what a "flat" Mac OS would look like...

Everything old is new again.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo
I'm sort of amazed at people that specifically first and foremost and all most to the point of exclusively rate iOS7 as being significantly and most importantly better or worse because of the color and shape of icons other things. Sorry I don't get it. Liking or disliking the "look" I certainly understand and appreciate and respect, but to harp on and on like that is the major feature OS...I guess we all have different perspectives.