how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20

[Other] Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite

Hi there,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
I need a new home router. I do not need wireless since I have a WAP.

I have a 50/5 cable connection here but I will be upgrading to 120/10.

So basically I'm looking at 2 routers :
Zywall USG 20 or the Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite.

The Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite is a much faster router/firewall, but I don't no anything about
Ubiquiti.

So has anyone any experience with this router?

Any info is greatly appreciated !

TIA all!

TA

--
quod erat demonstrandum

DruX

join:2010-08-18
South Bend, IN
I have the Ubiquiti ERL and it's great. I would highly recommend it IF you are willing and able to configure it.

I don't know much about the ZyZEL, but the Ubiquiti is not plug-and-play and you must manually configure it for operation, probably using these instructions for home use:

»wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example

Plus, the Ubiquiti is cheaper.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to TheAnalyzer
You could try over in the Networking forum as well.

There is also a ZYXEL-specific forum if you have some (specfic) questions about the Zyxel line.

Also picked up a Ubiquiti but haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it. Suffice to say if you have
a $100, the heart of a tinkerer / DIYer, it doesn't look too hard to get this up and running with a fairly
standard config -- as DruX See Profile pointed out.

Regards

TheAnalyzer

reply to TheAnalyzer
Thanks guys.

I have already picked up a standard config file, but I will probably not use it as I want to configure it myself and understand what I'm doing .

So awesome link DruX.

I know the Edge Router is using Debian as platform. That should be all right for me to configure even from command line.

And I love the flexibility.

Thing that worries me though is that it seems that the GUI is not ready yet.
There are some indicators in the GUI for functions you can only enable through CLI.
Or this is done for a reason. I don't know.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to TheAnalyzer
Some things configure great in a GUI. Some configure great in a CLI. Speaking from a personal perspective,
I've been configuring and managing enterprise class routers for close to 6 years now, and believe me, I can't
even imagine doing it via a GUI interface.

...it takes all kinds.

Also suspect this link may also be helpful to you OP

Regards

TheAnalyzer

1 edit
reply to TheAnalyzer
double post.

TheAnalyzer

reply to HELLFIRE
Thanks for the link HELLFIRE.
I will definitely be using their KB.

I have been configuring Zyxel routers for a while but I have found them to be relatively simple and "consumer like" to configure appart from their CLI.
They have a simple dedicated WAN port and a X port switch. Plus a wizzard for ISP connection setup etc.... ( at least the ones I've worked with )

The ERL is quite a different beast IMHO.

But having long term experience with enterprise class routers, what is your impression of this router, and how capable is it?

regards,

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to TheAnalyzer
...will tell you when I get a chance to play some more. Right now about as far as I've gotten with the ERL is opening
the box, plugging in the power, and finding the config guides...

Regards

stephen d8
An Important Message From
Premium
join:2005-11-25
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TheAnalyzer
Ubiquiti all the way! I have Nanostation m2's m5's and some bullets. Played with rockets, They really make fantastic products. Always was satisfied. As for a router, I used in the past mostly Microtik routers, They are a bit hard to configure but I was always pleased with the flexibility. You have them in all different types and flavors and you can get customised to your taste. And there pretty cheap to!
--
Long time reader, small time poster

TheAnalyzer

reply to TheAnalyzer
Okay guys,

I got my ERL yesterday.
I am very pleased so far. It was up and running with a custom config in about half an hour.

Everything is working great.

First I updated the firmware created new users and configured my ip cams.. I'm configuring my VPN tomorrow.

But what is really great that my network is so much faster and websites load extremely fast and are super responsive.

I never imagined that this router could make such a difference.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
your making me want one of these badboys but i probably should learn a little more about networking and all the tech stuff first, if anyone could tell me some of the most important things to understand to use this router that would be great
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

HELLFIRE
Premium
A basic understanding of networking and how the OSI model works together would be a good idea.

After that it's just getting the gear and figuring out the UI.

Regards

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to 18286719
said by 18286719:

your making me want one of these badboys but i probably should learn a little more about networking and all the tech stuff first, if anyone could tell me some of the most important things to understand to use this router that would be great

All you need to know to get yourself up and running:

»community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Ba···p/398055

(although what helped me actually get the file into the thing was this:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l···ter-lite )

Keep that backup file then research the options you need on the forum and wiki:

»community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/bd-p/EdgeMAX

»wiki.ubnt.com/EdgeMAX_Wiki

As long as you keep a backup file (IIRC there are ways to do this from WITHIN the ERL) you can just revert to it if the changes don't go as planned. Saved me once or twice.
--
TekSavvy 35/3 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as AP)

TheAnalyzer

reply to TheAnalyzer
I encountered my first issue

Since I am using Mac I use Safari as my browser quite often.

I logged into the web-interface of the ERL, and there were no/incorrect readings.

So for those of you who use Mac / Safari and use the GUI for the ERL from time to time,
don't panic read here:

»community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Em···e#M14170

Use firefox or chrome to login.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

TheAnalyzer

reply to TheAnalyzer
EdgeMax software release v1.3.0 is available!

It includes a basic setup wizard to get you up and running.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

TheAnalyzer

reply to TheAnalyzer
Okay guys.

Just a quick update. My ERL is running very stable for the last 1 1/2 weeks now.

So I just upgraded my cable connection to : 200 Mb/s download 10 Mb/s upload.

That's the fastest plan my provider is offering ATM.

So what speeds am I getting in a real life situation?

Well I am connected wirelessly 802.11n using a 450Mbps client to a Cisco Linksys 4200v2 as AP. And this is connected to my ERL. My Modem is a Cisco EPC3212.

My speeds are : 194.36 Mbps download - 10.26 Mbps upload.

The ERL is handling the speed with ease. I can recommend the ERL in every way !

Very happy with this result.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
kudos:1
said by TheAnalyzer:

...My speeds are : 194.36 Mbps download - 10.26 Mbps upload.

The ERL is handling the speed with ease. I can recommend the ERL in every way !

So I assume your connection is not PPPoE? Max download speeds for the ERL using PPPoE are supposed to be around 220Mb/s - Ubiquiti have hardware offload planned for the future apparently so that should mean improved max speeds.

TheAnalyzer

Yep. You are right. It's not PPPoE.

This is a cable connection. Just plain DHCP.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to HELLFIRE
If you don't wish to configure enterprise-class routers via a GUI interface, you probably shouldn't use Astaro Security Gateway/Sophos UTM- essentially everything is set via GUI. There is a shell, but it has very limited functionality and they tell you that they won't support you if you change any settings with the CLI (changes are only supposed to be made with the web interface).