share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

Re: Increasing RAM Really helps.

he said he looked at some benchmarks online and saw that the Pro spec'd out better...oh well, it's not my money...the fact the Pro does have some upgrade options down the road is at least one saving grace...more RAM and an SSD would be the first thing to do to it.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer

I would tend to agree with you, the MBA with its SSD should be snappier in day to day usage, unless you heavily tax the cpu with encoding or rendering work.

Make sure to get the MBA with 8gb of ram though, as it's not upgradeable after the fact.
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Post Op

quick question...i colleague of mine is looking a getting a new laptop and has basically decided on the base model Macbook Pro 13" (2.5GHz i5) as it is on sale for $1050 right now...i suggested he consider the new 13" Macbook Air as it is only $50 more...while it isn't on sale, it is lighter, has Intel 5000 graphics vs Intel 4000 graphics on the Pro, SSD hard drive vs 5400 rpm on the Pro and likely much better battery life...his only concern is that the "Macbook Air only has 128GB of hard drive space"...i don't really see that as being a problem for his basic needs...he also said the slower processor in the Macbook Air wasn't as appealing to him...i mentioned the i5 in the Air does have turbo boost, so if you need the speed it is capable of similar speeds, but if the speeds aren't required, it scales down to what is needed, improving your battery life...also, the SSD would be substantially faster and likely provide him with real world "faster speeds" vs the regular drive in the Pro.

am i correct in assuming the real world performance of "regular use" would be better with the Macbook Air?
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to dennismurphy

I have a Seagate hybrid, and Samsung SSD,....

The Hybrid is quick.......one drive died, Seagate replaced it, foc, with an upgraded Hybrid....no problems, the Samsung SSD....only 128GB, flies.......but, the Hybrid isn't leagues behind it!!

I use Crucial for RAM.....never had a problem.......

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I just ended up with DDR3 laptop memory from the Tigerdirect/CompUSA. They had the same exact memory in a box that said "For Mac" an extra $20.

On a side note I doubt I will use that store again, Not because the memory is bad(zero issues), But because holy hell the staff hover like vultures. Browsing is nearly impossible.

I will however end up at OWC for my optical kit when I get an SSD. Speaking of, are the OWC SSDs any good or is that something still best ordered from Newegg? as in how do the OWC drives compare to Intel, Samsung, etc.

I have OWC SSD's in both 'his' and 'hers' iMacs .... They scream. Reviews are usually quite positive everywhere I've seen them.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to dennismurphy

I just ended up with DDR3 laptop memory from the Tigerdirect/CompUSA. They had the same exact memory in a box that said "For Mac" an extra $20.

On a side note I doubt I will use that store again, Not because the memory is bad(zero issues), But because holy hell the staff hover like vultures. Browsing is nearly impossible.

I will however end up at OWC for my optical kit when I get an SSD. Speaking of, are the OWC SSDs any good or is that something still best ordered from Newegg? as in how do the OWC drives compare to Intel, Samsung, etc.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to dennismurphy

said by dennismurphy:

For me, if it doesn't come from OWC, it doesn't exist.

I've previously purchased RAM upgrades from RAMJET, but I've always returned to OWC for all of my Mac Pro 1,1 upgrades. This is how I've managed to keep my Mac Pro "alive" since August 2006. My Mac Pro was made obsolete when MacOS X 10.8 was released. When Xcode 5 was released last week, the final nail was driven into the coffin.
--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Post Op

For me, if it doesn't come from OWC, it doesn't exist.

I've done many upgrades from them over the years and have never, ever had a failure or incompatibility. Ever. Great company - if they say it'll work, it'll work.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to Modus

I think I may make the jump on my Mini. It's really only used for an iTunes server for which the 4 GB does just fine but I do hop on there and do other stuff and opening apps can be a little slow sometimes.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
reply to Post Op

yep i did the same. I upgraded my mac mini to 16gig of ram now it really fly's
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

OS X loves ram. It always has. Getting as much as you can or afford is always the best route to take on improving a Mac's performance, second only to a SSD swap from mechanical hard drive.

I think this goes true for all major operating systems. In general the best advice... Budget permitting the only limit on RAM one should set is what their system can handle. I know my MBP increased greatly performance wise moving to 16gb from 4gb. Next phase is SSD+Optical conversion kit.

said by kerriskandie:

Check out Everymac.com...some MacBooks/Macs , whilst 'officially supporting only 8GB....can actually 'see' and use upto 16!!....my MBP 13 is using 10 right now, MacMini is using 12........Supposedly mismatched (RAM) performance hit is only about 5-8%...

Yea my MBP claims only 8gb max yet it is certainly seeing the 16 i put in no problem
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to kerriskandie

I could mismatch, but I can get two 4GB "Apple Certified" sticks for $42/piece. Plus tax.

The unit is almost 5 years old, still runs nicely though.

I'll need to upgrade the Mini at some point, it's a PPC...good for running movies and music though...but it's time for a newer version.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to AppleGuy

Check out Everymac.com...some MacBooks/Macs , whilst 'officially supporting only 8GB....can actually 'see' and use upto 16!!....my MBP 13 is using 10 right now, MacMini is using 12........Supposedly mismatched (RAM) performance hit is only about 5-8%...

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to Post Op

I was just thinking of upgrading my MacBook Aluminum to 8GB. I just checked, official is 4GB, but it will support 8GB's. $90 for the upgrade. It's long in the tooth with Mountain Lion.

When I have more cash, I'll upgrade the HDD to an SSD.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Post Op

OS X loves ram. It always has. Getting as much as you can or afford is always the best route to take on improving a Mac's performance, second only to a SSD swap from mechanical hard drive.
--

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Last week I installed a new 4gb ram stick from OWC maxing out to 6gb capacity for my 5 year old iMac. When it was new and running Leopard it never seemed slow but now running Mountain Lion it seemed sluggish with only 4gb of ram. It is now much snappier. I notice the biggest difference when running Quicken in Windows 7 using VMWare. This machine still has a few years left in it.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.