La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

New Galaxy S4

Got me a new Galaxy S4 yesterday. It is VERY sweet! Gave the LG Venice (Boost) to my son. I went with Verizon for the S4. Boost coverage is ehh in my apt, so I wanted to get on Verizon. The son doesn't get as frustrated about it as I do, so he's happy. The Venice is a nice phone, just didn't like Boost so much.

Still playing around with the S4, debating on rooting or not. Sons are yelling at me to leave it alone before I break it, haha.....

Only thing I don't like is the Verizon bloatware (another reason to root). I've got 22 useless apps sitting in the Play Store wanting to update, I use NONE of them (they're all crap), and don't want to update them. But, there they sit. Half the 16GB of storage is taken up by the OS and those crap apps, need to get an SD card, errrggghhh...Would have gone for the 32GB, but they would have had to order it.

»appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/···-sd-card

Got it in white, it's very nice. Also got an Otter case.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,647 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Congrats on your new phone! I've had my S4 for about 3 months and love it.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Thanks! So far, so good! It's very cool!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

Congrats! I've drooled over the S4 a couple times in the store. But can't justify it when my S3 does good enough for me. Hope you have a lot of fun and life out of it!
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

You can disable bloat apps

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Yes, just noticed some can be disabled. Still working through all the settings, nooks and crannies.

I also found out that I MUST get an SD card before I can root it.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to beck

said by beck:

Congrats! I've drooled over the S4 a couple times in the store. But can't justify it when my S3 does good enough for me. Hope you have a lot of fun and life out of it!

The S3 is very nice too! I almost went with the S3 at Walmart, with Straight Talk, but then decided to go with Verizion. Had to sign a 2 year contract, but whatever. Got it for $250, but there's a $50 rebate I have to send in for.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,647 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to Alcohol

Of note: You can force stop built-in apps - although your phone will complain that others may: "misbehave"

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to La Luna

From many other phones, either the S3 or the S4 would be a nice upgrade. Going from the S3 to the S4, not so much.... I have the S3 and my wife has the S4. I have never played with it or wished I had one instead. Plus, the S4 currently has no hacked recovery and it doesn't look promising that it ever will.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to La Luna

S3 user here. I'm very happy with my phone with no reason to complain. Wanted to upgrade to S4 but the android experience felt the same. Maybe iPhon5 or 1020 this time.

avze

join:2013-08-19

1 recommendation

Its great under the hood, but one very important thing is annoying to me is that it is made of very cheap plastic. In that case, the whole device should cost less than 800 bucks. Just for that reason. For 800 bucks (off contract) or unlocked, I can at least get a better phone that has better rugged material. But overall, its a decent phone. Enjoy!

The phone is not bad when comes to putting the S4 in standard size jean front pockets. No "bulging" at all.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

I got an otter case for it. Not the big, bulky one, a slimmer one. It's very nice, doesn't add much bulk and will protect the phone. Check them out! I could check which one specifically if you want, have to dig out the package.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to La Luna

Oh, and I'm seriously missing Ad Away, YIKES!!!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

It's still available, just not from the Play Store (»sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/)

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Yeah, but it requires root. Not rooted yet. Not sure if I'm going to, seems a bit complicated for this phone due to so many different versions. I don't want to screw it up.

It's also available from Fdroid, BTW.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

And untrusted sources that can void your phone's warranty - if one still applies.

fwiw...

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

Yeah, but it requires root. Not rooted yet. Not sure if I'm going to, seems a bit complicated for this phone due to so many different versions. I don't want to screw it up.

Piece of cake.... »forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2380325
said by La Luna:

It's also available from Fdroid, BTW.

Yeah, but that's yet another app that has to be installed (at least to keep your apps updated). I almost regret buying apps from the Amazon App Store because now I have to keep it installed just to run those apps.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

And untrusted sources that can void your phone's warranty

Show a reference that states this

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Settings - > Security - > Unknown Sources -> Yes | No

quote:
Your phone and personal data are more vulnerable to attack by apps from unknown sources.

You agree agree that you are solely responsible for any damage to your phone or loss of data that may result from using these apps.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Hall

Does ad-away remove ads from YouTube or is that a pipe dream ?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to siljaline

No, no, no - the part about voiding your warranty.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

That's all I've got for now - I got your gist I assume that's Samsung coded or carrier coded. It's in some Google article somewhere that I don't have, at-the-handy.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

It's actually stock/generic Android wording. I've got an S3 that's rooted and running CyanogenMod (no Samsung or Verizon software whatsoever on it currently) and it reads the exact same thing.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

There you go. My Gal Nexus is full tilt Bell Mobility although I have used untrusted apps to kick the proverbial tires. I don't have any immediate plans on rooting or any of that as I have a full plate and not enough time for tinkering that that extent.

It is nice to hang out with you folks that tweak your phones as it's much akin to tweaking a PC O/S.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

If you want to use Amazon's App Store, you have to enable this setting.... I think the wording is excessive.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

Does ad-away remove ads from YouTube or is that a pipe dream ?

yes. i dont use the app but i use the hostfile from ad away. no ads on yt
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Thanks - good to know and I appreciate the feedback.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Hall

I don't use any other app store other than Google Play. The wording I didn't write, so ...
You have my previous comments.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Hall

Protect against harmful apps.
»support.google.com/nexus/galaxy/···=3055439

Hall
Premium,MVM