Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

IBM PureFlex

Is anyone familiar with this hardware? I'm going to get a chance to screw around with a demo unit soon.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Yeap

What are you looking to do ?
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn

Click for full size
my demo pureflex
Actually Ill admit this , I have a full rows of these also have a ton of puredata gear. They have their drawbacks. I even use one as a demo box.

As you can see I have rows of them.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

We're getting a demo unit with the expectation that a few months down the line, we're going to be picking up a whole bunch of these. I was wondering what hypervisor you're using. If you're using some esxi/vmware solution, how well does the FSM on the PureFlex device see into that environment?

What kind of quirks or things did you notice? I'll be tasked with seeing how RHEL works on the box.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

We have one with 4 VMware nodes, and FSM and the V7000Flex with 10TB of space. And to be brutally honest, I feel we were kinda forced into it... I honestly have only logged into the FSM 4 times since it was initially set up. It has an error light on the v7000 but no error messages in the log.

From what we were told, it integrates better with KVM than VMware and if you have vcenter, to just keep using that.

Now I will say the cool thing, is if you have multiple pure flex systems, you can use one FSM to control them all.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I heard the same about KVM over VMware. I don't think that'll be an option here.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

ahmmm , we use KVM The error logs are in the v7000 itself use the manager for the v7000 to get them usually it's just a time mismatch.
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to Exodus

to Exodus
Oh also IBM does have a version of vmware branded and tweaked for these, I prefer KVM as it's less hassle licensing wise.

my nodes are setup to be dev hosts, so im running roughly 800 virtual devices on 1 rack. And it's not really bad it still performs very well.