Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to MrBungle87

Re: [DSL] Low upload speeds on VDSL

Ok, that makes more sense then that he SAW you only syncing/provisioned @ 1Meg up on his meter at the NID. I thought you/he had said that you were provisioned correctly for the 3Meg VDSL upload...being that they ACTUALLY saw you capped at a 3Meg upload in the field....

Regarding the band profiles- All that is, is the frequency band in which the xDSL rides on. That won't do much unless those various bands are indeed in use in your area. Frontier's VDSL standard is on the 8B band profile.

The 1248 he mentioned- I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's an old 1248 with VDSL or Multimode cards in it, which should provision the same as a standard 1248. If it's a remote site with a 1248V, those things can be a serious PITA to get provisioned correctly. Are you served from a "brick-and-mortar" CO or a remote? If it's a remote it would be a 1248V.

Maybe a port change is in order? If they keep moving you around with provisioning and nothing is changing you COULD have a bad port, although I doubt it.

There IS a 12/1 VDSL profile available at least in the area I'm familiar with, and the MCO can provision anything they darn well please as long as the far-end modem supports it, and the Actiontec's WILL run that speed.

Maybe suggest that they switch you to that profile, just for testing, to see if your modem, and the tech's meter ACTUALLY "see" that profile. If they claim to have made the change and nothing happens, you will know FOR SURE the issue you are dealing with is without a doubt a DSLAM provisioning/communication problem.

Many times, if it's a 1248V that you're running on, the only way to access these stupid things is through Telnet and the CLI. Frontier's Legacy provisioning systems often times don't play well with 1248V's...

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

Thanks for the great info. Our CO is brick and mortar, however, not a remote, so I don't understand why provisioning would be so difficult. The tech who was inside at the modem while the other tech tested at the NID claimed they'd provisioned me for 2Mbit for testing purposes but it clearly never synced at above 1128/1147Kbps, so it seems more likely that they just don't understand VDSL provisioning. I considered it could be a bad port, but it doesn't seem likely. Again, though, the weird part is my ping times are drastically better now--I'm seeing consistent 15ms pings to Washington DC and VA servers whereas I got 70ms at best before. Dunno if switching ports could affect that, though.

I should have an update for you on Monday, though.

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to COjosh

A small update: finally got a call back from the MCO guy and he says the techs closed my ticket, noting that I was getting 2Mbit uploads and everything was solved. So I guess they've gone from passive ignorance about this to actively lying. I told the guy I'm still syncing at 1Mbit and whatever they noted is wrong, so he's sending out someone else who has a lot of prior experience with VDSL.

Another thing: the MCO contact tells me I'm on a Calix switch, not an Adtran (though he mentioned Adtran TA5000s in use there) and thought I might have to be switched to bonded (which is bullshit). I told him the techs told me I was on an Adtran 1248 which was totally wrong.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

classic frontier incompetence

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to MrBungle87

Sent you a PM MrBungle87