spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SimonE57
@fast.co.uk

SimonE57

Anon

DGND3700 dropping hard wired connections

Have been having trouble for a while now with this. It does NOT relate to dropped wireless connections. They are fine.

I have three devices hard wired to my router: computer, network printer, mobile phone signal booster. Originally IP addresses were all automatically assigned. I have since given static addresses to my printer and computer.

The problem started some weeks ago when my internet connection kept dropping. I eventually solved that by turning off the wired connection to my computer and used wireless instead. Then I noticed that the connection to my printer kept dropping too. I discovered that I could restore it by rebooting the router but I had to do that every time I wanted to use the printer.

I have been in discussion with Netgear's support email system. Every time I contact them I get a new operative. Each operative has his own suggestions, none of which has yet worked. I am also getting the impression that, despite what they say, they do not read the thread and so sometimes suggest inappropriate remedies. But it just seems to be a list of trial and error rather than a careful diagnosis of the problem followed by a surefire solution.

I have reached the point at which I have to assess whether Netgear's support staff will ever find the solution for me, or whether it is like the old thing with monkeys and typewriters. Eventually you do get Hamlet but it takes a while. I have a life to lead outside trying to get under the bonnet of my router with a spanner and an oily rag. It would help to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and either found a fix or ended up binning the darned thing.