spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Banana Peel

@qwest.net

Magic Jack won't work unless computer is on

My Magic Jack instructions are pretty straight forward for use without a computer-using a router/modem. I plugged the Ethernet into the back of the CenturyLink router/modem and the other end into my M.J. Phone line went into the M.J. That unit went into a power source...just as described in the directions. All I get is, "error #3002, check your internet connection." This set-up works fine when my computer is ON, but the whole idea is to use the router, right? M.J. is my only phone, so I need IT, not my computer on all the time. Any suggestions? CenturyLink and M.J. both want me to check with the other for error reasons, so...big circle of confusion here.

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

First, in your router admin interface, disable MAC address filtering. It's possible this is a layer of extra security you'll have to do without for your brand of modem/router combo.

Second, give your router a static IP below the DHCP range of your router. For instance, if your router has a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.149, give your magicJack a static IP of 192.168.0.3 (or whatever, so long as it's below 100.) If DHCP range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149, obviously, your static IP for your magicJack will be, for example, 192.168.1.3.

Reboot your router, magicJack and other network devices.
--
MJCheck - »mjcheck.low.li
Tips and Info on MagicJack plus.

hbh

@rr.com
reply to Banana Peel

I have Magic Jack Plus connected to my router and it still works when I turn my computer off.
My modem connects to my router, not directly to my computer. The router connects to my computer with an Ethernet cable. Also, Magic Jack connects to my router with an Ethernet cable. Please check your connections.

greenman

Athens, GA

Banana Peel has a modem/router combo. Maybe the problem is with the crummy ethernet cable that comes with the magicJack.

--

Banana Peel

@qwest.net

Thank you Greenman. I'll need to try that! Don't have an extra, but will give it a whirl.

Mnpls

@qwest.net
reply to greenman

i am century link customer and i am facing the same issue. MJ chat service support has said if router and modem is in one devise then we cannot use MJ. I am bit hopful seeing your thread here. But i do not see option to disable the MAC address filtering. How do i do that?? Please help.

greenman

Athens, GA

Which of these modems do you have?
»qwest.centurylink.com/internethe···ems.html
Find the modem in this set of modem/routers used by centurylink, then download the manual for that modem/router. Inside that manual, you should find information about MAC address filtering.

Every device on the web has a unique MAC address. (Or at least so we hope.)

If you've never set up MAC address filtering, you may not have it enabled, in which case this is not going to help. If Centurylink set up your router for you, they may have set it up with MAC address filtering.
--

Mnpls

@qwest.net

I have C1000A, and i did not see the information regarding the MAC add filtering in the manual. Let me know if there is any other thing i can do to make MJ work with this router.

Thanks for your help.

greenman

Athens, GA

After looking at your modem/router tools available, I concur. There is only one other thing I can suggest. When you plug your magicJack into the ac adapter, if you are plugging it into the same surge protector/UPS that your computer is plugged into, try powering your magicJack from a different outlet in the same room, at first without a surge protector or UPS - just directly into the wall or using an extension cord without surge suppression. Sometimes, when the magicJack is connected via a surge suppressor and UPS boxes you get the error #3002 message. I found two different models of UPS that gave me trouble. One I returned for just that reason. I got a different one and it worked. The other UPS I've had for too long to return, so I use it elsewhere. Some surge suppressors have minimal UPS capability (covering when your power winks just momentarily), so they may be problematic too. Just give it a try and please tell us what happens. If it works, you may need to consider a different surge suppressor or UPS, at least for the power to your magicJack.
--