Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1

3 edits

Upstream irregularity

Click for full size
upstream bonding values
The Power Level readings are 52 dBmV and 44 dBmV.

This disparity between these two upstream bonding levels happens frequently. Anyone know why, and is it a cause for concern?
Ultra 101, Moto SBV6220

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3

2 edits
Noise on the 35 MHz return, most likely outside of your home but there is a chance not. Contact CV.

edit: Typo fixed

Rojo

New York, NY
Are you talking S/N? 35 dB is too low? It's always hovered between 35 and 37 on the SBV6220.

btw, Upstream Power Level has been a consistent 44 and 44 all day.

dudeman456

join:2005-04-29
New York, NY
reply to Rojo
I could be wrong but the power level on upstream channel 7 seems close to the limit.

edit:

Yeah, its 2 points away from the limit of 54. Has it always been like this?

Rojo

New York, NY
Click for full size
today
No, but that's the thing, that channel is fluctuating all the time. The other is steady.
Today ch 7 is behaving.
I just wonder what might explain this.

dudeman456

New York, NY
reply to Rojo
Does it change based on time of day?

Rojo

New York, NY
I haven't noticed. Why would it?
--
edit: notice the "retries exceeded" on channel 7.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
said by Rojo:

I haven't noticed. Why would it?
--
edit: notice the "retries exceeded" on channel 7.

Yup, you went into partial service, that channel appears to have fallen out of bonding, likely because it has an RF issue, evidenced by widely fluctuating transmit power levels. The 2 US channels should generally be within 1-2dBmV from one another.
The US LED on the modem should have changed colors (Moto, so it went from blue to green? can't recall) to indicate loss of bonding.

If you feel this is service-impacting, call CV, otherwise chance is they already know, and it'll be fixed within the next 1-3 days. Fluctuating returns dropping modems out of bonding tend to get noticed.

dudeman456

New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Rojo
Think of the power level on the upstream side as effort. During a certain time more or less interference could be on the line due to use. For example my speed improves during the daytime, between 7AM - 3PM I get better speeds than 4AM.

It could be the plant outside, two weeks ago my upload went between .10Mbps to .29Mbps, it turned out the plant outside had an issue. As much I as I hate to say it, call Cablevision. When I had the upload issue the rep kept trying to convince me it was my computer, so I scheduled the visit for two weeks after the call, knowing they would have a tech go the the plant as soon as they could. A day later, they called me back to tell me that they do not need to come to my home.

Check wiring, tighten all connections on the coaxial cable, if you have cable boxes try to remove your boxes and test. If you notice a good change their might be too many people connected to the wiring in the building.

Rojo

New York, NY
reply to cablewizzard
I've been noticing it for a couple of weeks. It was always temporary so I ignored it, not really sure what was going on.
This never happened prior to the July speed upgrades btw.
Next time it happens I'll note Moto light colors and time of day.
What kind of effect might this upstream issue have on day-to-day service?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Rojo
If you have impairments on 35 MHz, which you do, it will cause you to only use the 22 MHz upstream. That is half the upload capacity. Most likely a number of others have the same problem. This is probably putting most of the customers on this node on the 22 MHz return only, and you will have intermittent slow speeds until that noise on 35 MHz is cleaned and modems lock there again.

dudeman456

New York, NY
reply to Rojo
The others connected to your plant, likely do not even know there is something wrong.

Rojo

New York, NY
reply to cablewizzard
Click for full size
10:30 AM
After being 44 /44 all day yesterday,
Channel 7 Power Level: 50 dBmV vs. 43 on ch 6.
Moto lights are unchanged.
Ranging status Sucess/Success.
Speedtest: 113 / 37(!)Mbps

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Millwood
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Millwood, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to Rojo
If you can look at the modem log you might get some more details about what's going on. For example, is the modem losing connection for a time?

I don't have your modem so I don't know in detail about its log support.

I had a similar situation a while ago and eventually a major clean up of my house wiring cured it. In my case, before dual upstream, connections were being lost, so it was broke and needed to be fixed.

Rojo

New York, NY
reply to Rojo
Click for full size
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I suppose you're right