spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Overage

@cox.net

[OK] Bandwidth overage enforcement... Inconsistent?

Got my first "overage" email a week ago as soon as I went 1gb over, and I was told on the phone that Cox in Oklahoma now has a strict three strikes policy (warning 1, warning 2, permanent disconnection).

Anyone else hear about this recently? I've gone over bandwidth many, many times over the last decade and this is the first time I've heard anything about this. I'm looking at other providers but the options are extremely limited (gamble with windstream or lock into a pretty crappy commitment for a business cox account)

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
There hasn't been any "3 strikes policy" for some time now however we will try to educate users about what is going on and explore all the options available. The notifications are generated by an automated system so anything over the advertised limit will send an alert.

Overage

@cox.net
So.... I should just ignore this for now?

I mean, I'd love to buy a higher bandwidth residential plan if one actually existed. It's amazing how fast streaming video will destroy the limits on your account.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
It will probably depend on your overall circumstances. If you find yourself consistently going over there may be benefits to upgrading including faster service.

VentShop

join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Overage
Sadly if you actually USE your connection almost all the time for streaming you will eat through the allotted bandwidth caps very quickly.

I use netflix a lot sometimes and if my mother in law is watching stuff on her computer along with my wife and I doing things it gets up there real quick. It's almost as if they expect only one person to be using the internet throughout the month and with a multi user household you may have usage all throughout the day by different people.

The plans with higher speeds come with higher caps in bandwidth but even then it can be difficult to understand what you are using on a monthly and daily basis since their meter doesn't really break it down much beyond what you have and have left not to mention that there are a lot of questions as to their accuracy. »Cox Having Trouble Metering Usage Accurately

I have a dlink dir-825 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 and the WAN status shows a lot more and makes it easier to keep track to me.

Some info based on the last five months:
September 2013 (Incoming: 212071 MB / Outgoing: 7493 MB)
August 2013 (Incoming: 132087 MB / Outgoing: 5505 MB)
July 2013 (Incoming: 165877 MB / Outgoing: 6568 MB)
June 2013 (Incoming: 184285 MB / Outgoing: 8515 MB)
May 2013 (Incoming: 138569 MB / Outgoing: 6756 MB)

And a typical day:

August 27th, 2013 (Incoming: 10170 MB / Outgoing: 289 MB)

High use day:

September 15th, 2013 (Incoming: 47546 MB / Outgoing: 828 MB)

I can't exactly say "ignore" the e-mail but I can compare my logs to their meter and call BS if I need to and I have never used the provided e-mail addresses anyway so who knows what black hole their messages end up going to anyway.

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
said by VentShop:

Sadly if you actually USE your connection almost all the time for streaming you will eat through the allotted bandwidth caps very quickly.

Which I imagine is kind of the point. They've only had data caps since streaming and cable TV "cord cutting" has started to become popular. If it was really about bandwidth, why not offer higher/unlimited data caps at higher cost, like is available for cellular data plans? Or why didn't they have caps 5 or 10 years ago, when limited bandwidth was MUCH more of an issue?

It's also telling that there is no clear answer on what happens when you exceed the cap. I suspect the strategy is to use the cap as a vague threat to make cutting the cord infeasible, but if they actually enforced it, unless you're just going really crazy with it, it would defeat its purpose of trying to keep you as a customer.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
that caps have been there for at least the last 13 years, cox just never really enforced it

Overage

@cox.net
Seems like that's the case...

I've been talking with a Cox business rep about a home office (business) plan without caps, but the standard terms are downright abusive for a home user wanting to convert. I'm going to just continue with this account until cox eventually decides to put hard caps in place (seems inevitable at some point, unless the whole industry grows up)

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA
said by [Overage :

]Seems like that's the case...

I've been talking with a Cox business rep about a home office (business) plan without caps, but the standard terms are downright abusive for a home user wanting to convert. I'm going to just continue with this account until cox eventually decides to put hard caps in place (seems inevitable at some point, unless the whole industry grows up)

I'm in the same boat and couldn't agree more. The terms and pricing are outrageous for what ends up being identical service.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
said by bleomycin:

I'm in the same boat and couldn't agree more. The terms and pricing are outrageous for what ends up being identical service.

Are you looking at the full-out Business plans, or the SOHO plans? The SOHO plans are business-class but aimed for home power users (or small businesses out of your home) and are a fair bit cheaper. (They may be called "Home Office XYZ" in your market)

Overage

@cox.net
I think the bigger problem is how your reps are offering SOHO plans. It wasn't even mentioned to me that I could go monthly - only that 1 to 3 year contracts were available (with terrible terms). I had to research and find that out myself before being offered the no-contract option.

So that ends my concern - I'm going SOHO, and while the cost is pretty terrible compared to competitors (my market seems to be one of the much higher priced ones), I know the service is solid, so I don't mind paying it for the time being.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
This is why I'm not a fan of caps. Not fair to the consumer.
Sorry you had this experience!

I rarely go over 200 gigs, but, if I were to backup my hard drives, I'd be over.

-Rob