spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kremit22234
@bellsouth.net

kremit22234

Anon

[Southeast] pppoa settings

When I had DSL a few years ago I had it setup for pppoa. I used some settings I found here but now I can't find them. I want to use pppoa for that little extra bandwith it gives from having a bit less overhead than pppoe. I know it's not much but I want all I can get lol. Anybody know what settings I should use on a netopia 3347?

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

Use your primary email username and password unless different changed after installation.

Also, is U-verse ADSL2+ or VDSL2 service available in your area?

For the same price as 6mb ATM-based DSL service you could get 12mb PTM (IPDSL) service.

kremit22234
@bellsouth.net

kremit22234

Anon

No uverse here or I would definitely have it. I know I have to use the same login but as far as VCI/Vpi, mtu, and any other settings specific to the netoipa 3347

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by [kremit22234 :

]I know I have to use the same login but as far as VCI/Vpi, mtu, and any other settings specific to the netoipa 3347

Virtual circuit pair in legacy Bellsouth is 8/35. I've never used PPPoA, so I don't know if it has the same packet fragmentation as PPPoE, which requires MTU=1492.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to kremit22234

Mod

to kremit22234
You can't just decide to use PPPoA vs PPPoE. Your ATM PVC must be configured to use one or the other.

kremit22234
@myvzw.com

kremit22234

Anon

You can use either with AT&T in the SE. Done did it before. I'm pretty sure the mtu should be 1500 with PPPoa but not sure about authentication type and any other settings that need to be tweaked.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by [kremit22234 :

]You can use either with AT&T in the SE. Done did it before. I'm pretty sure the mtu should be 1500 with PPPoa but not sure about authentication type and any other settings that need to be tweaked.

Actually, even in the legacy BellSouth area, not all locations allow PPPoA anymore; so even if you could use PPPoA in the past, that may no longer be true today.

You are correct about the 1500 MTU, and the PPP authentication is the same as with PPPoE.

I no longer have a 3347 at my disposal to check, but I think the only difference in setup (from the telnet CLI...I am not sure about how to setup PPPoA from the http menu) is to change:

set atm vcc 1 encap pppoe-llc
set atm vcc 1 pppoe-sessions 1

to:

set atm vcc 1 encap ppp-vcmux

kremit22234
@myvzw.com

kremit22234

Anon

Thanks, I'll give it a shot later today and see what happens. The small city I live in doesn't exactly stay up to date so I'd be willing to bet it'll still work.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to kremit22234

Mod

to kremit22234
said by kremit22234 :

Thanks, I'll give it a shot later today and see what happens. The small city I live in doesn't exactly stay up to date so I'd be willing to bet it'll still work.

I just took a look and you might be right for the most part...the default connect method is actually vcmux. I must have been thinking about the old SBC regions.

pppoa
@sbcglobal.net

pppoa

Anon

We still have pppoa? We did away with that protocol back in 2000. Slowly all pppoa were converted to pppoe. Even if you can configure your device to pppoa, ATT has to provision their end to pppoa. Which they will not do.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

In 2000, AT&T was a separate company from either SBC, or Bellsouth; and Bellsouth did things different than SBC, sometimes radically different. There may be Southeastern backwaters where AT&T never imposed SBC practices on Bellsouth networks.
rg13
join:2013-01-31

rg13

I know pppoa worked (still does for vanilla dsl) at many different locations around here in bellsouth area. At home on the 2wire 2701hg-b I was able to use pppoa and encapsulation type "routed llc". I haven't used it on the 3347. There is not much difference in the two though. For whatever reason pppoe became more widely accepted. With pppoa you can increase the mtu to 1500. I got a few more milliseconds out of it, sometimes. Not much difference.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to NormanS

Mod

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

In 2000, AT&T was a separate company from either SBC, or Bellsouth; and Bellsouth did things different than SBC, sometimes radically different. There may be Southeastern backwaters where AT&T never imposed SBC practices on Bellsouth networks.

^ This. 13 state SBC did away with it but 9 state Bellsouth is setup to do both automatically. They used a dynamic provisioning model while we used a static one.

burris
Premium Member
join:2000-08-22
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris

Premium Member

Even if this is available here, is there any purpose in fooling around with it? Can there be a significant difference to make it worthwhile?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Yes. Lower overhead means more user data is transferred within the same data cap. Remember, their lame accounting is adding up every ATM cell in both directions. So, you want the lowest overhead possible, and as near zero cell padding as possible.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to burris

Mod

to burris
Personally I think it's negligible but the truth is you do save about 8 bytes of overhead bringing you up to 1500mtu from 1492 of pppoe. Of course atm cells are set to 53 bytes so to cramer See Profile's point that might help.

Of course the truth is all data is different based on application, and things don't just go out in chunks equal to a number divisible by 48 (53-5) so really it's one of those "does no harm" things that if somebody wants to do ....well have fun.

»www.mynetwatchman.com/kb ··· emtu.htm
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Actually, there's more to it than that. AAL5 isn't as simple as divide by 48. I'm set to 1478, but I don't have pretty graphics to show why.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

I was over simplifying but as I said hey whatever works for you. Heck when I had DSL I had my line set to bridge1483 mode to achieve the same overhead savings just for kicks.
Druco
Premium Member
join:2009-03-22
Greensboro, NC

Druco to kremit22234

Premium Member

to kremit22234
I have been using PPPoA for years and still use it without a problem. I also use a Netopia 3347. It seems to be a better alignment with the ATM circuits they use around here IMO.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

PPPoA/PPPoE? Who needs it? Not on my ADSL2+ line!

MtMan
@bellsouth.net

MtMan

Anon

I can use either one, a or e. Doesn't seem to make any difference on my line. Just have to change the encaps.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by MtMan :

I can use either one, a or e. Doesn't seem to make any difference on my line. Just have to change the encaps.

The difference appears to be the MTU setting. I've had PPPoE; and had to use 1492 for as long as I had PPPoE. When I switched to a DSL provider which did not require PPPoE, I could change MTU to 1500. Posters in this thread who have used PPPoA state they also set MTU=1500.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by MtMan :

The difference appears to be the MTU setting. I've had PPPoE; and had to use 1492 for as long as I had PPPoE. When I switched to a DSL provider which did not require PPPoE, I could change MTU to 1500. Posters in this thread who have used PPPoA state they also set MTU=1500.

The difference (as MtMan stated) is in the encapsulation requested and used for the connection. You can change the MTU settings in the DSL router to anything you want, but that will have no effect on the encapsulation (PPPoA or PPPoE) that is used (except that an mru/mtu of 1500 simply won't work properly for a PPPoE connection)

Here are the PPPoA config settings I used to use with a Motorola 2210-02 modem:
set atm option on
set atm vcc 1 option on
set atm vcc 1 vpi 8
set atm vcc 1 vci 35
set atm vcc 1 encap ppp-vcmux
set ppp module vcc1 option on
set ppp module vcc1 mru 1500

Here are the PPPoE config settings I used to use with a Motorola 2210-02 modem:
set atm option on
set atm vcc 1 option on
set atm vcc 1 vpi 8