spc
Search similar:

uniqs
yami
join:2011-07-25
Lake Worth, FL

1 edit

yami

[motherboard] Seems Windows 8 corrupts BIOS Flash on laptop!

Hi my friends,

Since I installed Windows 8 on my Compaq Presarion V3713AU almost 2 month ago, I never checked it BIOS.
Due to some NIC problems I wanted to go BIOS and I realized it does not go no matter which Function key from F1 to F12 I press, with of without Fn key.
They only thing it show is BIOS Memory and Disk Diagnostic tool which comes up by F2 in POST.
I realized maybe it needs BIOS Battery reset, I unplugged and plugged but no luck.
I thought maybe it needs to be re-flashed then I downloaded same (which is latest) version of BIOS Firmware and even one previous one and applied.
For both of them, after re-flashing, machine restarts and by F10 goes into BIOS. I can restart machine in BIOS as much as I want and by F10 go to BIOS

BUT...

IF I let the Windows 8 boots up completely and then I restart machine, again I cannot go BIOS!!

Please help me know how Windows 8 affects and corrupts BIOS? What should I do to prevent?

UPDATE:
Looks like Windows 8 really locks BIOS. People here talk about it but I did not understand what is UEFI stuff...
»www.eightforums.com/gene ··· ios.html
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

If you completely wiped off the hd then you also wiped the service partition when you installed windows 8.

When installing windows from scratch on newer machines you have to be really careful not to wipe the service partition, some manufacturers use a nice graphical front end to the bios but it is stored as a program on the HD. You may be able to restore the service partition with having to wipe the hd and start over. Compaq or HP will know for sure.
yami
Lake Worth, FL

yami

I do not think so because I bought this PC without Operating System at 2008, just because it was cheaper and I thought I am going to use Linux but it did not happen.
I have reinstalled tens of OS on this laptop in past 5 years and wiped HD every single time.
Those guys in the link I provided are talking about a Windows 8 feature which locks BIOS but honestly I did not understand.

But anyway thanx for your attention
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to yami

Premium Member

to yami
It sounds like windows isn't really fully rebooting. It isn't an issue of windows corrupting your bios. You just aren't getting out of windows and back to the point where you can hit your f10 key to get into the bios. People have problems with rebooting windows 8 or of it not shutting down properly. I can't give you a clear idea of how to resolve this but I think that is what is happening in your case.
yami
Lake Worth, FL

yami

You are right, in fact seems UEFI causes it:
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· hat-uefi

and someone gave this link to me to disable but looks like my machine is too old and does not have that option to disable:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 1,00.asp