how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikeferr821

join:2010-07-11

Distributel to Start Modem Release Question

Hi,

I'm currently with Distributel using my own Huawei MT130U. If I sign up for Start's 150/10Mbps service, can I use my old trusty Motorola Surfboard 5100 temporarily until my Huawei modem is released? I'm hoping that would minimize downtime.

jeffrey158

join:2013-09-24
London, ON

doubt it being that's a d2 modem I think that would only work on the 6 mbit package

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to mikeferr821

If I am not mistaken, the modem has to be registered. Since, the modem is not supported, your order will be cancelled.
Best way to do it would be to rent a modem from start for 1 month.

allan_london

join:2013-05-20
London, ON
reply to mikeferr821

Unfortunately not, since the Motorola modem is a DOCSIS 2 modem, while the Elite package requires a DOCSIS 3 modem. However, a rental modem from Start would be an option until Distributel releases your Huawei modem.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to mikeferr821

The SB5100 modem is no longer supported on Red Cable, so it wouldn't even be an option with the Basic 6Mbps tier.

Your best option for minimizing downtime would be to rent a Thomspon DCM476 from Start for a month or two until the Huawei is released from Distributel. Once it's released, you can ask start to modem swap to that modem and return the rental.