Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Windows 8.1 Ad with Start Button

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGrv7JbzjU

Published on Sep 27, 2013

Windows 8 customers can update to Windows 8.1 for free in the Windows Store, starting October 18th, 2013. With the return of the Start button, new ways to personalize your Start screen, and more ways to do more things at once, the new Windows gives you one experience for everything in your life. »msft.it/NewWindows

Featuring the song "The Way It Should Be" by Giants of Industry.

Definitely moving in the right direction, looking forward to the update!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

BrettZ

join:2013-08-15
The Bing search on Windows 8.1 is pretty amazing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
How so? I don't use Bing so tell me more about why I should try it

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to darcilicious
According to the video, the new Start button just takes one to the Start screen, and not to the traditional Start, not?

Freddy

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Seems like it? Didn't catch that before... anybody know for sure?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
That is correct. The new start button takes you to the same Start Screen that is currently in Windows 8. How I know this is that I have ran both the 8.1 preview, as well as 8.1 RTM.

--Brian

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

3 recommendations

reply to Freddy
Yep, rather than emulate what people obviously want in the UI (given the number of downloads of Start Menu 8, etc.) MS is still blazing their own trail.

Screw the user! We know what they need!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to darcilicious
We had this discussion when 8.1 beta came out a while ago. Now the people who were too confused to put their mouse in the corner have a button to click so they know it's actually there. You can also right click it for new options like shutdown options now.

RAWR!!!11!! More hate towards Win 8 RAWR!!11
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

It is just a new way to launch the modern ui start screen.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by dib22:

said by darcilicious:

It is just a new way to launch the modern ui start screen.

Yep. You will still need a third party application to get a proper Start menu and be able to never access Metro side (except if you need advanced boot options but that is the only thing I have ever used, or needed to use, on the Metro side in 10.5 months of a new computer with Windows 8 Pro).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to darcilicious
Are any of the programs that will give us the real start menu back working in 8.1 yet? This is bull what they are doing. It's like how the mob keeps promises, never what you think the promise means.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Start8 current version is supposed to work with 8.1 Preview. Forum threads don't show many problems. Nonetheless, I will not be rushing to upgrade to 8.1 when it comes out. I will wait and monitor the situation. I also don't want problems with Windows Blinds on 8.1. For me, Start8 and Windows Blinds make Windows 8 tolerable so I will wait until I am sure they work properly with 8.1 before I upgrade.

»www.stardock.com/products/start8/history.asp

»forums.stardock.com/447779/page/1/
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to darcilicious
The start button on Windows 8.1 is a farce. Don't understand what the hype was about.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to darcilicious
a small step forward. hopefully windows 8.2 has a way to completely block metro.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

BrettZ

join:2013-08-15
said by Alcohol:

a small step forward. hopefully windows 8.2 has a way to completely block metro.

Minimize the metro and you've the full fledged windows OS. Why does metro bother you?

I have loved metro with the touch laptops.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
said by BrettZ:

said by Alcohol:

Minimize the metro and you've the full fledged windows OS. Why does metro bother you?

Yeah, I don't understand this need to "block" metro. I don't use it for days at a time despite the fact that nothing is "blocking" me from it...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to BrettZ
said by BrettZ:

said by Alcohol:

Metro seems like it would be awkward to somebody who uses 40 programs rather than 8 "apps". A hierarchical menu seems better for people who do more that launch a browser or play a game.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

said by StillLearn:

said by BrettZ:

said by Alcohol:

Metro seems like it would be awkward to somebody who uses 40 programs rather than 8 "apps". A hierarchical menu seems better for people who do more that launch a browser or play a game.

Put metro into all apps view by default. Then you can have your 10000 icons when you hit the start menu. Clustered into various groups.

Whee. Like a start menu, only better.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

+1 Good interface for a phone or tablet, LOUSY interface for a laptop or desktop.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to plencnerb
It's just Microsoft's way of saying that the Start screen is the Start menu (and that "start" doesn't really mean what it used to--as in, "start an application"... now it means "start here" [you don't need no steenking desktop!]).

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to darcilicious
Seems every time I start to think, ah, well, Microsoft isn't THAT bad, THAT evil, and then they pull something else. Sure, you can have a car of any color you want, so long as the color is black...

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to GlennAllen
said by GlennAllen:

It's just Microsoft's way of saying that the Start screen is the Start menu (and that "start" doesn't really mean what it used to--as in, "start an application"... now it means "start here" [you don't need no steenking desktop!]).

Users need to come out with their own advertising advising Microsoft that, "no, you arrogant pricks, it's not what we want!" Sadly we don't have the money and Microsoft doesn't listen to users so we'll just have to suck it up.

When a company has to pull out all the stops to try and convince users that "this is what we want you to do", at that point they should just suck it up and give users what they want.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by BrettZ:

said by Alcohol:

Yeah, I don't understand this need to "block" metro. I don't use it for days at a time despite the fact that nothing is "blocking" me from it...

Yeah I don't quite get it either. I can hit the ground running in Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 Windows Server 2012 Essentials (uses the new UI ie Metro) and OS X,....natively,......no hand holding.

When it comes to windows 8, for the naysayers, I always thought it was a simple issue of don't like it, don't want it or don't know how to use it. I don't agree that it isn't functional, isn't serviceable or isn't useable. However, it seems to me like there is something of a distortion field around the subject.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to darcilicious
Pointless.

Unless there's something useful in 8.1 I don't think I'll bother even if it is free.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by sivran:

Pointless.

Unless there's something useful in 8.1 I don't think I'll bother even if it is free.

There's quite a bit that's worthwhile in 8.1 The start icon is pretty much there just because of all the complaining.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

2 recommendations

Sadly, the actual complaining (which M$ wasn't paying attention to) was that there wasn't a Start menu.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
said by GlennAllen:

Sadly, the actual complaining (which M$ wasn't paying attention to) was that there wasn't a Start menu.

In a classic MS move, they gave users what they were asking for while entirely ignoring what we actually wanted: You want a Start button? Okay, here's a Start button. It launches the UI you were trying to avoid in the first place. Suck on that customers.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to GlennAllen
said by GlennAllen:

Exactly... they could have nipped this in the bud... but no... and they have not been paying attention to this SINCE BETA.

Hey at least its good news for 3rd party start menu makers.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Yeah I don't quite get it either. I can hit the ground running in Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 Windows Server 2012 Essentials (uses the new UI ie Metro) and OS X,....natively,......no hand holding.

When it comes to windows 8, for the naysayers, I always thought it was a simple issue of don't like it, don't want it or don't know how to use it. I don't agree that it isn't functional, isn't serviceable or isn't useable. However, it seems to me like there is something of a distortion field around the subject.

The problem for me (and the main reason I finally, after several months of struggling with Windows 8 Pro, installed Start8) was that the Charms bar and that huge black clock were very frequently accidentally activating. That became very irritating. I also had stuff activating from the corners when I did not intend that to happen. Plus, Metro side has no decent way to list and start applications and no way on Metro to use Windows Explorer which is what I do all the time. Metro side was developed solely for the ignorant of computers users whereas it could have had sophistication also aimed at power users if Microsoft had developed Windows 8 properly.

I've had a computer since 1999 and I am used to using a mouse (and keyboard only when I type or need a very few specific keys (like PrintScreen)). Relearning how to use a mouse after all these years of no problems using one seemed ludicrous and too time consuming. If you are on the desktop on Win 8 the corners and Charms bar should be deactivated. Start8 does this so it was a godsend but Microsoft could easily have designed Win 8 better. Gee, Stardock could fix it but Microsoft couldn't? WOULD NOT is the actuality.

I was in Target a few days ago and saw a new, smallish Acer laptop with touchscreen (first I have seen). I played with it and touch on the Metro side was fun but on the desktop side...nah....plus, I still cannot see Touch screens being great for DESKTOP machines or large laptops. The clerk and I were discussing this and he agreed with me that ergonomically touch screen for desktops/large laptops would be bad unless, perhaps, one stands when using their machine. Standing is not recommended for long periods, plus, one has to modify their desk to accommodate standing. Also, we both think if Dell ever makes Ultrasharp touch screen monitors that a 24" would be at least $600 which is a bit too much for me.

Microsoft should have offered more choice with Windows 8 instead of acting as though everyone has a tablet, small laptop, or cell phone for the internet and does not have a desktop or large laptop also or instead of the first three.
--

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by sivran:

Pointless.

There's quite a bit that's worthwhile in 8.1 The start icon is pretty much there just because of all the complaining.

I don't see anything compelling so far.

On the other hand, not really seeing any reason not to get it, aside from inertia. Unless they decide to start charging Windows 8 users for it before I get it. That'd be a deal breaker.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?