uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22 to antdude

to antdude

Re: Google Reveals the 10 Worst Password Ideas

Recently a relative got an iphone, and they were using passwords that were pretty much 7 out of these 10 ideas.

When I showed them how I could track their every move, see all their pictures, see their schedules, and so on with the weak password they finally decided it was worth using a stronger password... which they proceeded to write down on paper... oh well.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

For most users, writing them down on paper isn't a problem. Who else will see that paper in their home if they keep it in a drawer or something? The wife? The husband? The kids? If that's a problem, they've got BIGGER problems!

At work, that's a different story.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
Work kept requiring me to change my password frequently, and it couldn't be similar to my last password. Quite a few people were writing them down as they were required to be complicated, and that actually defeated the security when people can't remember them.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

2 recommendations

NOYB

Premium Member

Writing passwords down is only a problem if physical security is a problem. The notion that just because someone writes down a password it is not secure is nonsense.

Remember the reason for strong passwords that may result in people writing them down is to protect account from being compromised in the event of the site user credentials database being compromised. Not physical security breach.