how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

owzo

join:2013-09-29
Jackson, MI

Arris TM822G Packet loss

hi there every one iv been lurking here a wile to see how knowledgeable people are on this site and im liking most of the responses.

i have a Arris TM822G modem connected to a Asus RT-AC66R router.

im here asking these questions because i have tried all other resources including my ISP customer service.

a little back ground story here. i moved into my new place a little over 8 months ago. at the time i had no clue that i had only 3 chose of internet providers (DSL, Satellite, or one Cable Provider Starlight Cable) with what i do on the internet, it got limited to one choice. i had to go with Starlight Cable no other company's are allowed into the park that i live in.

for the last 7 months i have been battling with starlight cable to get them to fix this continuing issue of Packet loss that i have been having. over these months i have been only able to get them to send our one technician to fix an outage that was cased by a node failure that occerd. i have called them hundreds of times with the same issue, with them saying that it is ether something on my end with computer/router issues or something with a connection out of there control.

i have my thoughts on what is causing this problem and am looking for advice from this forum with it. i have ether concluded that it is an issue with the modem or an issue with the connection to there fiber optic system and my modem. i know a lot able computer and IT maintenance and have traced it to a fault at one of those points.

i have take several JPG's of the modem config and status info. the link to the album is here.
»s886.photobucket.com/user/h311_f···20TM822g

If any one can look threw them and check the stats please do and let me know if anything is our the ordinary.

I know this is a long post so thank you for taking the time to read it. if anything is confusing or you need any more information let me know

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Your signal levels are terrible, +25/29????

If they will not help you could buy a 2 pack of 10db pads, try one or both...

»www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-10-dB-In···0dc4bca2

One should bring you levels to +15/39, two +5/49.

owzo

Jackson, MI

would this not bring my up stream power to low

Jabbu
Premium

10db pad will remove 10 on your receive and add 10 to your transmit.

If you have +25 receive, and 29 transmit, adding one 10db pad will giv eyou +15 receive, and 39 transmit....

You want your receive +10 to -10 and transmit in the 40s

owzo

Jackson, MI

like to give an update. i got a hold of my providers after 3 days of trying. they told me that the power levels are fine and that having +25 down and +29 up is fine. i have ordered the 10db peds that you suggested just waiting on them to come in.

in the end my phone call ended with them hanging up on me and forwarding my phone number to there voice mail service. Starlight Cable receives a F- on the customer service scale.

owzo

Jackson, MI

Click for full size
Click for full size
An update for my update. i got the 10db peds and i installed them both however my packet loss hasn't been fixed any more suggestions.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

It's only 1 ping plot, but the Hop at #4 is where your loss starts. From the looks of it - that's the edge router between your cable company and Level3.

Nothing in your home is causing your packet loss based on this - you would have to pass this on to your local office and have them reach out to L3 for investigation. Since it's the edge router, both companies have a vested interest to fix it.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Jabbu
Premium
reply to owzo

Try just using one, if its still shot the local amp is destroying signal/creating packet loss.

owzo

Jackson, MI

using just one has no effect. unfortunately i think its out side of my control and not being able to get a hold of the isp there is nothing i can do unless i want to cancel. Unless you can think of any thing else.