Gear DOES NOT MATTER

»fstoppers.com/why-your-gear-migh···ographer

great article on why gear envy might be holding you back

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
The blogger is a big fan of Photoshop and downplays photo journalism.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to mromero
Generally I agree, but there is a point where not having the right gear will hold you back.

Good luck shooting NHL hockey in an old arena with a rebel and kit lens. Or freezing action with your cheap strobes that have a long t.1 time.

Gear won't make you a better photographer, but it can help you get the best shot possible

AzzKicker
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX
reply to mromero
yup. plenty of times where gear does matter. Even in the old days they understood that. Thats why we have the great equipment we have now.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to Exit
said by Exit:

Generally I agree, but there is a point where not having the right gear will hold you back.

Good luck shooting NHL hockey in an old arena with a rebel and kit lens. Or freezing action with your cheap strobes that have a long t.1 time.

I saw a documentary about how hockey is photographed; they have many remote controlled strobes mounted in the ceiling. Notice when a goal is scored when they show it in slow motion how there is a bright flash at the peak of action.

Before there were auto focusing lenses it was imposable to focus on action moving towards one. One had to pick a spot and hope the peak of action happened there.

MLB offers all their camera feeds unedited online; I notice when there is a runner on first the left sideline camera sets an auto focus on second base as that is likely to be where the play is going. He doesn't have manually focus if the runner takes off in an attempt to steals second.

OK many can use a cell phone and take a better picture than I with my Cannon 5D.

Look at the making of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. It goes beyond equipment, there are a dozen assistants doing everything from makeup, hair and holding reflectors to fill in shadows.

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
kudos:2
said by batterup:

I saw a documentary about how hockey is photographed; they have many remote controlled strobes mounted in the ceiling. Notice when a goal is scored when they show it in slow motion how there is a bright flash at the peak of action.

The same thing during basketball games. Pay attention when there is a shot or action around the basket and you'll see flashes from the strobes above the court.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to batterup
said by batterup:

said by Exit:

Before there were auto focusing lenses it was imposable to focus on action moving towards one. One had to pick a spot and hope the peak of action happened there.

MLB offers all their camera feeds unedited online; I notice when there is a runner on first the left sideline camera sets an auto focus on second base as that is likely to be where the play is going. He doesn't have manually focus if the runner takes off in an attempt to steals second.

OK many can use a cell phone and take a better picture than I with my Cannon 5D.

Look at the making of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. It goes beyond equipment, there are a dozen assistants doing everything from makeup, hair and holding reflectors to fill in shadows.

That is true. I shoot both the NHL and MLB so I've seen it first had.

For hockey you only get to shoot with strobes if you're the team photographer or shoot for Getty. Most of the time that person is one in the same. SI, Upper Deck and maybe one other company gets use of strobes, but those are all because of the deal they have with Getty.

For baseball you will prefocus most of the time, but there are plenty of times you'll be swinging the lens from home to 3rd base while mashing on the AF button hoping and praying you get a shot of the diving player in focus. Also since there is so little action that's interesting to shoot in baseball you're gonna be in trouble if you miss interesting and unexpected shots like that