uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robert1010
Premium
join:2007-04-26
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

[Connectivity] DSLAM problem

Can a dslam at a CO cause no dial tone, but still have normal DSL?

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40

[Connectivity] Re: [Wiring/Filter/Splitter] DSLAM problem

There are local loop problems that can cause that. »Re: No Dial Tone but DSL works but it is possible a problem with the low pass filter in the DSLAM could cause that, but I've never see that happen.

Robert1010
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
They have been working in the neighborhood. Verizon started to install fios, but then they ripped out the new fiber and replaced it with copper. I had many problems, had 4 techs and a splicer. They finally put a DSL/POTS splitter in the NID. All worked for a month. Now they are working by Verizon's terminal box for my street.

I live in a row home and a neighbor lost her dial tone.

I just don't understand how I can have DSL and no dial tone from the same CO.

JRave

join:2005-02-19
New Kensington, PA
reply to Robert1010
I had that happen to me a few years ago. I had DSL, but no phone service. The cause was from the Electric Company doing some maintenance on their pole. Their bucket truck ended up pulling the wires out partly on the pole side.

If they are doing work on your local box, chances are something is loose there.

Robert1010
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
Is the dslam at the CO connected to the dial tone line. I do not have any remote mounted dslam. Everything is at the CO.
Any info would help!

JRave

join:2005-02-19
New Kensington, PA
I have no idea on that. When this happened to me it was before I even had an NID box on my house. So it was the wire straight from the pole into my house.

If you have an NID outside on your house (grey box) open up the customer side of it and see if there is a phone jack. If there is test it with a phone to see if there is dial tone there. If there isn't then you contact Verizon.
If you have a cellphone call their Voice/POTS support line. All you have to tell them is your name/number and your problem (no dial tone) and they should send someone over to check/fix it. Don't even mention that your DSL is still working as that will sometimes make them look elsewhere for the issue.

If you do get dial tone at the NID, then your issue is in the house wiring.

Robert1010
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
Now I have static, but no dial tone. Could the DSL/POTS splitter in the NID, cause my problem?

sparky57

join:2003-05-18
New Bedford, MA
reply to Robert1010
yes.

sparky57

New Bedford, MA
reply to tim_k
I have.

sparky57

New Bedford, MA
reply to Robert1010
Yes it is connected.

Noobed

join:2012-04-05
Camarillo, CA
reply to Robert1010
If things are just right with the line, the DSL can keep working even if one of the pair has a high resistance fault that looks like an open to pots.

rbanks10

@comcast.net
The phone came back to life, a tech said they may have done something to the dslam at the CO.

Thirsty III

@bellatlantic.com
reply to Robert1010

[Connectivity] Re: DSLAM problem

Yes it can.