I've had Ultra TV installed a few days and am trying to decide whether or not to keep it.
My network is still connected behind my wi-fi router (Asus RT-N16) which is now getting its WAN IP from the Arris gateway.
The problem with this configuration is that HomeConnect will apparently not function, yet I want to be able to use the nice Moxi interface to stream video, play music and display photos from my home server (WHS v1 that I'll be running a DLNA server on, probably Serviio)!
The reason I'm not simply connecting everything directly to the Arris gateway is concerns over security, confirmed here »My Beef with WOW Ultra TV internet
Some questions are:
1) Bridged mode is not available (even though it shows in the tooltip for "NAT mode")? Would bridged mode have enabled the gateway to see past my router to the DLNA server? Conversely, would it expose my network to the security flaws of the gateway?
2) Is there any way to change the username and password? I found conflicting info online -- I can't find in the gateway interface where to change it.
3) Is there a username with higher privileges that the "technician" WOW publishes? Some config options are greyed out (or maybe not shown at all?)
4) ShieldsUp (www.grc.com) shows port 80 is open. Why is this? How can it be closed?
5) What are the ethernet ports on the rear of the Media Players used for? Could they connect to my LAN?
6) Will VPN into my router work behind the gateway (no chance to test this yet)