share rss forum feed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

[TV] Starz launches Outlander Series

Just doing my usual poking around the US cable sites to see what's new and exciting to watch.

I see Starz has started filming Outlander

»www.starz.com/originals/Outlander

Starz is really an interesting network, they do shows in conjunction with a British production company, giving more sophisticated programming, then you'd normally expect from an American network.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Outlander, if I'm guessing correctly is based on a romantic series of books.
Also is a take on A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court, and other various "time" travel type stuff.

I'll give it a pass, as the book series is geared towards women that enjoy bodice rippers.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to elwoodblues

Click for full size
When you said Outlander, all I could think of was the 2008 movie:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_uJTnyR15s

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7paq_cWOsc

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/

Which I thought was a decent movie.

The Outlander series you're referring to does indeed sound like its best suited for those that enjoy bodice rippers as already suggested by Snakeoil.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

There's nothing wrong with bodice rippers as long as the female character is of a sufficient level of hotness where one would be interested in seeing her naked flesh.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

When you said Outlander, all I could think of was the 2008 movie

I thought the same. And while the movie was decent, I thought the story about the "dragon" was the most interesting plot point and deserved more time.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to juilinsandar

I agree,....

Although, I didn't say there was anything wrong with bodice rippers. The term does imply that such a production would be geared to a very specific demographic though specifically women with an emphasis on romance.

Therefore, one expects to see a female lead with two or more romantic interests. Possibly even a largely male cast.

If this is the female lead:

»www.imdb.com/name/nm2928020/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
»www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/?re···_al_tt_1

Then she certainly has my interest if she participates in a lot of nude and adult scenes in this production but I suspect that she won't be the focal point of such scenes,....thus,....meh,...not really interested!

Again, I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, just that it likely wont be of any particular interest to me. I'll certainly pass it on to my sister in-law who is an avid reader of such things. Maybe even my Wife. Although if the Wife starts watching it I'll likely have to suffer through it,.....it might pay off though,.....

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to elwoodblues

Some updates via New York Comic-Con: »io9.com/what-ron-d-moore-changed···44347130
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to elwoodblues

When ever I hear "Outlander", I think Outlanders »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlanders.
Which is a different direction then the bodice ripper Outlander.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to elwoodblues

»www.starz.com/originals/outlande···ideo/379

First video preview.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

It's gonna be "glorious".
I find it interesting how Starz continues to work in the UK to get their original programming.

Makes them one head up above the competition.
--
Every government has its Secret Service branch: America, CIA; France, Deuxieme Bureau; England, MI5. NATO also has its own.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Octavean

This is how I got sucked into True Blood--she discovered it several years ago and I got hooked. I don't mind the uninhibited HBO take on sexuality, and I really enjoy the dependable portrayal of vampires--violent, cultured, and self-serving (as opposed to Twilight's emo punks) that meshes well with many of the other vampire IP out there (Interviews, Blade, etc.). It sucks that the Blade franchise turned into such garbage--the second movie really had promise.

Anyways, OT. I'll see if she's interested in this one, as i certainly enjoy scifi more than she does, and it might be a good combination of our interests.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to elwoodblues

I'm not sure I was being clear but I can definitely give this show a shot. I think it likely that it will be a disappointing experience for me but we'll see.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

I've been waiting for this one for a long time now. Long enough that I don't remember every little thing from the books in detail. Now for me the books, ran the full gamut from laughing to anger and everything in between; I can only hope the show will be as good.

Diana Gabaldon is one of those rare writers like Terry Goodkind, and Jean M. Auel that came into writing on their own and quite very brilliantly. I found myself recommending Outlander and subsequent books to friends and family; so that's saying a lot and I'm a voracious reader and devourer of a great many books and very few of those do I find worth sharing that way.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca