spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dssgrntld

@209.226.137.x

Teksavvy of yesteryear (rant)

I need to rant for a moment. Please forgive me.

Tomorrow will be my one week anniversary without cable in Ottawa (oddly Teksavvy only acknowledged DCHP issues in Ottawa on the twittersphere yesterday). What is so disheartening is the complete and utter lack of information I'm being provided. When I first joined Teksavvy years ago, it was an absolute joy calling into technical support. You would call, get a human being instantly and actually chat with someone who seemed to have real technical knowledge. Your problem would either get resolved or you would hang up feeling like it was in good hands.

Sadly, this isn't the case anymore. We've probably all tried to call in at some point and realized that we aren't born with some innate Godly patience to listen to distorted musac and someone interrupting every 10 seconds to tell us to reset our modems or ensure it's plugged in (did you forget to turn your powerbar on?). When I post to the direct forum, the turnaround time can be incredibly high (1/2 day+) and the quality of the posts varies depending on who's responding. I even had some replies saying the previous replies were completely wrong (thanks guys). Each reply seems to end with a friendly 'Thanks for the patience!". I'm actually not so patient and would really like an explanation, a promise to do better in the future and a vow that I will be properly reimbursed for this outage.

Now if this DHCP issue is due to the incumbents playing games, f*(@ng tell me this. I don't care if you think I may have read it in the paper, or saw it in a forum. I want to hear it from the person I'm paying 70 bucks a month to, regardless of your margins. I'm not paying Rogers, I'm paying YOU and I need YOU to give me as much information as possible and to reassure me. I'm confident the tech support team of yesteryear would have most definitely explained the situation to me and I would have empathized and banded with them against the big bad incumbents. I bet they would have even offered me a month or two of free service to make up for the unacceptable delays, regardless of fault. That's the Teksavvy I've referred dozens of people to over the years.

Again, if this is the incumbents fault, why would Teksavvy and other 3rd parties not have forums where we could pass information along to lets say the CRTC? From a business stand point, this must be killing Teksavvy and other 3rd parties and I understand their frustration as a company, especially if they're losing customers. If they would keep us in the loop and talk to us like the intelligent people must of us are, however, than I believe ploys like this would simply hurt the incumbents in the long run. If you read posts in this forum, a lot of people are jumping ship and in my humble opinion, it's because they aren't being informed. You were dealt a bad hand Teksavvy but you need to make a better effort to keep US your customers happy, regardless of the situation you're faced with.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest,

A disgruntled customer.

fetus

@216.46.12.x
I agree

gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5
reply to Dssgrntld
Ditto. Just cancelled.

fetus

@216.46.12.x
reply to Dssgrntld
Honestly that post perfectly sums up exactly my feelings about teksavvy. I am going on day 4 with no internet and wondering what the shit I am paying for. I've had MULTIPLE outages in my few years with TS and only once received a weeks worth of downtime prorated back to me when I had to call in and ask for it.

Wait times are unacceptable.
Blaming your 'vendors' is no longer an acceptable excuse when the only information you provide is a 10 second message on your hotline everyday.
I'm sick of dealing with this BS.

Who do I switch to besides Rogers?

ilLoveStart

@start.ca
start.ca

gotak

L6G 0C5
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to fetus
said by [fetus :

]Honestly that post perfectly sums up exactly my feelings about teksavvy. I am going on day 4 with no internet and wondering what the shit I am paying for. I've had MULTIPLE outages in my few years with TS and only once received a weeks worth of downtime prorated back to me when I had to call in and ask for it.

Wait times are unacceptable.
Blaming your 'vendors' is no longer an acceptable excuse when the only information you provide is a 10 second message on your hotline everyday.
I'm sick of dealing with this BS.

Who do I switch to besides Rogers?

I hear good things bout start.ca but I myself went with rogers as they offer me the same deal as Tek but it will work TONIGHT. Where as start will likely take a week or so just like Tek does when you start new cable service with them.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by gotak:

I hear good things bout start.ca but I myself went with rogers as they offer me the same deal as Tek but it will work TONIGHT. Where as start will likely take a week or so just like Tek does when you start new cable service with them.

Please consider making a submission to the CRTC on the latest application by CNOC.

The application is based on the shenanigans the cable incumbents are deploying to run cable TPIA into the ground, and you're living proof those shenanigans work.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

Flux

join:2013-07-10
canada
reply to Dssgrntld
said by [Dssgrntld :

why would Teksavvy and other 3rd parties not have forums where we could pass information along to lets say the CRTC?

They won't let you; you'll be informed that Rogers is not your ISP therefore you cannot complain about them.

»[Cable] CRTC - CNOC Part 1 Cable Carrier Services & Update

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Dssgrntld
I think it's rather unfair to expect an organization to ramp up their support staff to ensure that issues being caused by THEIR suppliers are handled in a timely fashion.

If you (and myriads of other posters) would read and learn about what IS going on, you would see TekSavvy's hands are tied. They are caught between a rock and a hard-place.

Their suppliers have agreed to a set of rules that gives TekSavvy (and the other TPIAs) ZERO recourse to any agency. The TPIAs hands are tied; they have NO ability to work on the physical network which is where the problems exist.

Currently TekSavvy and the others ARE trying to appeal to the regulators to change these rules; what will happen? Who knows.

Yes, all TPIAs could double / triple their support staff to handle customer issues; would this get the suppliers to work any quicker? NO. Would it increase the costs of the TPIAs? YES. Who would get to pay the TPIAs for this extra expense? YOU.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

4 recommendations

reply to Dssgrntld
OK ...

I think perspective is needed here ...

First, as has been bemoaned again and again and again, and is now mentioned in the CRTC proceeding filed by CNOC on behalf of its members, Rogers provides NO information to TekSavvy and chasing for information results in a rebuke to use the mail system already in place (with its inbuilt 48 hour delay).

Also included in the that proceeding is the fact that Rogers appears to be giving itself preferential treatment so that it has no urgency in fixing the problems let alone the problems it creates itself. (And make no mistake about it, these DHCP IP allocation issues are caused by Rogers)

And if you get the impression that these problems appear to be unique to TekSavvy, then no, they're not, but with far more customers than most other TPIA providers, and more of them posting here, they have far higher visibility.

As to support quality, this is a problem any company providing technical support has. There are two parts to providing support ...

First is customer management ... that's the process of listening to the customer, and setting customer expectations for the process of problem resolution. The second is problem solving skills which includes the taking of an accurate problem statement, asking the right questions, sometimes it's about following a script, and determining whether the problem can be solved by TekSavvy, or if it needs to be handed off to a vendor (a "ticket")

Now, since the vast majority of calls actually involve very little technical problem solving since most technical issues get handed off to a vendor, you don't have to go and hire highly technically trained people at commensurate salaries.

A few years ago when TekSavvy was a smaller company, doing DSL only, with a lot fewer customers, you could find more technically oriented people willing to do the job down there in SW Ontario. Today with over 200,000 customers, you need a LOT more agents, and you won't find the number of technically oriented people so easily. Being in Toronto won't help much either ... staff may be plentiful, but the turnover is high.

The bottom line is that it's very very difficult to provide the quality support that they used to because of the increase in the number of customers. I'm sure they'd love to be able to have every agent with the skills of their senior agents, but it ain't possible.

As to the CRTC, it is a quasi-judicial body ... so as much as we can file complaints, there's not a lot those complaints can actually DO unless someone pushes hard enough to show the incumbents are breaking the regulations. Remember that UBB at an ISP level only went away because of the push on the Minister, not from the complaints to the CRTC, because at the time UBB wasn't breaking any regulations!

tekSavvyUser

@teksavvy.com
reply to Dssgrntld
Hmmm, I am not sure the claim that TS is not giving us proper information is accurate. If you are familiar with this forum, you can see it is written all over and being said over and over of the root cause all this evils. Everywhere you can see that problem is caused by mismanagement (or deliberate) of changes by incumbent to their network and refusing to address the consequences (of course they fix the problem eventually!) but that may be too late for most of us. That blame squarely goes back to incumbent, TS and other TPIA clearly have mentioned them in their complaint to CRTC. Saying TS does not provide such information is absolutely unfair. Plus don't forget all these stuffs are done to undermine TPIAs as a whole and TS specifically here. Guess what, who will lose at the end if this game is succeeded, you and I as consumers. Protect yourself, be a consumer advocate, defend yourself against all ploys, don't fall in the traps!
One more thing: TS is providing WIND solution for such outage, that is good step, it shows they do care!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to sbrook
We have plenty of techs... We just hired a ton in the last few months.

At this point ticket requests are now getting prompt responses. Now the issue is that they are making a ton of changes to their network, node splits presumably and RF signal changes and somehow our users appear to be getting affected by outages while their own users appear to have much less problems.

There are three types of problems that we are seeing. RF issues leaving customers offline. DHCP issues where, despite having provided them with more than enough IPs, customers are not getting them assigned to them and leaving them offline. The last is modem swaps, in various circumstances users are left offline.

Things had improved leading into the beginning of last week, but since then, their responses to our tickets continues to be quick but they are making more changes than ever on their network and so now the number of affected has gone back up. We are told that things should get back to normal by mid week however, I don't know what that means exactly.

At a glance it seems as though they are making a mad dash for the end of the month. Hopefully we are now nearing the end of it.

Growth wise, August was a larger month but September has been average. There is no case to be made for growing to fast (there wasn't one for August either, we were ready and they had the correct forecasts). This is a pure case of maintenance or upgrades being done poorly and leaving our users offline. We have a fairly large base of customers spread out across their entire footprint and so nearly anywhere they do maintenance, we hear about it. What I have seen is that any TPIA in the same areas are all down while their own users appear to have little or no interruption of services.

The info we have, which is limited as we are simply not getting much feedback, we are providing. If we had an ETA, we would give it...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

fetus

@216.46.12.x
reply to trog
said by trog:

I think it's rather unfair to expect an organization to ramp up their support staff to ensure that issues being caused by THEIR suppliers are handled in a timely fashion.

If you (and myriads of other posters) would read and learn about what IS going on, you would see TekSavvy's hands are tied. They are caught between a rock and a hard-place.

Their suppliers have agreed to a set of rules that gives TekSavvy (and the other TPIAs) ZERO recourse to any agency. The TPIAs hands are tied; they have NO ability to work on the physical network which is where the problems exist.

Currently TekSavvy and the others ARE trying to appeal to the regulators to change these rules; what will happen? Who knows.

Yes, all TPIAs could double / triple their support staff to handle customer issues; would this get the suppliers to work any quicker? NO. Would it increase the costs of the TPIAs? YES. Who would get to pay the TPIAs for this extra expense? YOU.

Fair enough. And after seeing whats been going on in the news and with other user, all signs point to rogers and other big vendors deliberately delaying 3rd party services.

My point is I just don't know what to do NOW in the in the short term. I really want to support new companies and competition in Canada when it comes to tech and communications (Teksavvy, Wind, etc). But I, like other users, am at a breaking point. I don't know where to put my money but I want to get online. Do I just stick it out?

Are there petitions or emails to complain to the CRTC? I'm not sure what actions I can take as a customer but things desperately need to change in Canada.

:\

gotak

L6G 0C5
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by [fetus :

]

said by trog:

Fair enough. And after seeing whats been going on in the news and with other user, all signs point to rogers and other big vendors deliberately delaying 3rd party services.

My point is I just don't know what to do NOW in the in the short term. I really want to support new companies and competition in Canada when it comes to tech and communications (Teksavvy, Wind, etc). But I, like other users, am at a breaking point. I don't know where to put my money but I want to get online. Do I just stick it out?

Are there petitions or emails to complain to the CRTC? I'm not sure what actions I can take as a customer but things desperately need to change in Canada.

:\

There no reason why you need to stick it out for anything. This isn't a relationship it's a business arrangement. You aren't getting service, you know you can get service quickly at similar cost. Seems there isn't much else you need to think about.

If things get better for 3rd party you can always come back.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to fetus
Are you in the Wind coverage area?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

OK ...

First, as has been bemoaned again and again and again, and is now mentioned in the CRTC proceeding filed by CNOC on behalf of its members, Rogers provides NO information to TekSavvy and chasing for information results in a rebuke to use the mail system already in place (with its inbuilt 48 hour delay).

Also included in the that proceeding is the fact that Rogers appears to be giving itself preferential treatment so that it has no urgency in fixing the problems let alone the problems it creates itself. (And make no mistake about it, these DHCP IP allocation issues are caused by Rogers)

And if you get the impression that these problems appear to be unique to TekSavvy, then no, they're not, but with far more customers than most other TPIA providers, and more of them posting here, they have far higher visibility.

As to support quality, this is a problem any company providing technical support has. There are two parts to providing support ...

First is customer management ... that's the process of listening to the customer, and setting customer expectations for the process of problem resolution. The second is problem solving skills which includes the taking of an accurate problem statement, asking the right questions, sometimes it's about following a script, and determining whether the problem can be solved by TekSavvy, or if it needs to be handed off to a vendor (a "ticket")

Now, since the vast majority of calls actually involve very little technical problem solving since most technical issues get handed off to a vendor, you don't have to go and hire highly technically trained people at commensurate salaries.

A few years ago when TekSavvy was a smaller company, doing DSL only, with a lot fewer customers, you could find more technically oriented people willing to do the job down there in SW Ontario. Today with over 200,000 customers, you need a LOT more agents, and you won't find the number of technically oriented people so easily. Being in Toronto won't help much either ... staff may be plentiful, but the turnover is high.

The bottom line is that it's very very difficult to provide the quality support that they used to because of the increase in the number of customers. I'm sure they'd love to be able to have every agent with the skills of their senior agents, but it ain't possible.

As to the CRTC, it is a quasi-judicial body ... so as much as we can file complaints, there's not a lot those complaints can actually DO unless someone pushes hard enough to show the incumbents are breaking the regulations. Remember that UBB at an ISP level only went away because of the push on the Minister, not from the complaints to the CRTC, because at the time UBB wasn't breaking any regulations!

Growing big is not an excuse. All I hear is excuses. Blame growth.
Blame Phone system. Blame turnaround in tech support. Blame Rogers.

It is job of TS pros to handle all this. right up to proving that Rogers is breaking regulations.
Allegations are cheap and can be made without proof. It is TSI job to prove it. So dont blame the users and ask them to prove that Rogers is responsible.

And it is about time criticism of TSI to be taken justified and not as troll comments and delete it. Mods have to be impartial and fair.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TSI Marc
Hi Marc,

Not saying you don't have the people ...

I think that if you go back a few years, when I called TekSavvy on behalf of my daughters (I was still with Rogers since there was no TPIA Cable and DSL doesn't exist where I live), I usually got someone with a good degree of overall technical knowledge.

As time has gone by, the NEED for that overall technical knowledge amongst support staff is no longer there since on the cable side especially, there's not a whole lot to actually do in terms of problem solving. Most of the calls being complained about for example are those where the TekSavvy CSR takes the problem statement, does basic troubleshooting which feels scripted and then hands the problem off to the vendor. Granted, a lot of that "scripting" is because the vendor is requesting info that may be unecessary for a lot of calls, but is just a part of what's needed to get the ticket past the Rogers ticket script analyzer. (I swear that's how Rogers email support worked ... it looked for keywords and questioned you based on those keywords ... "My Internet isn't working, I have no lights on the modem so I can't browse" will kick in with "What Browser are you using?")

I'm not saying growing too fast, but rather that the gradual change in tech support has come as a result of growth, not its speed.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to gotak
gotak ... the way it's going, it's not really a similar price to go with an incumbent. It's significantly more expensive. It would cost me about 50% more for comparable speeds, but far less data usage.

Moreover, this is precisely what the incumbents want us to do ... so they can lock us into contracts or other conditions making it difficult to go back.

There's a lot to think about. This is short term pain for long term gain.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to sbrook
I'm not going into the past at all... I'm just trying to cut through it all and look at what's going on right *now*. And right now, it's very clear where the problems are.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

fetus

@216.46.12.x
reply to TSI Marc
Yes Marc I am

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I'll get somebody to reach out to you.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to fetus
Hey Fetus,

We can get you that temp solution in the mean time. All you have to do is email promotions@teksavvy.com and request the WIND temp solution and include your account info.

Someone will reach out to you within 24 hours and will ship it out priority.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to loosedobbs
Loosedobs, I think you need to understand the differences between reasons and excuses. A reason is valid and unavoidable. An excuse is an attempt to deflect taking responsibility.

For example ... "I'm sorry I am late, I missed the bus" is an excuse because of the very obvious ... "why didn't you go a little earlier to the bus stop?" A reason on the other hand is credible and out of your hands ... "I'm sorry I am late, I was on that bus that crashed into the train".

Most of the reasons given in my post are out of TekSavvy's hands, and therefore not excuses, although they would become like an excuse if they were doing nothing to remedy them.

First, they are getting and training more staff. It takes time to train staff to the quality you need for this job. Interestingly, not many people, even those with good technical skills, actually make good CSRs. CSR burnout is surprisingly high amongst those who survive the initial turnover problems of working in call centres.

Second, the issues with the vendors are factual. It took time to assemble a suitable complaint to the CRTC, but there remains NOTHING that they can do in the short term. The vendors do not appear to be responding to requests to improve the situation and coercion is not an option ... you can threaten them all you want, they'll just cut you off and face the wrath of the CRTC. (After all Eastlink has not opted to provide TPIA at all)

Nobody's blaming the users. No company in a service industry likes to be in this position and they know that the last people to blame are the users.

Absolutely

@hostcenterten.com
reply to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

said by sbrook:

OK ...

Growing big is not an excuse. All I hear is excuses. Blame growth.
Blame Phone system. Blame turnaround in tech support. Blame Rogers.

It is job of TS pros to handle all this. right up to proving that Rogers is breaking regulations.
Allegations are cheap and can be made without proof. It is TSI job to prove it. So dont blame the users and ask them to prove that Rogers is responsible.

And it is about time criticism of TSI to be taken justified and not as troll comments and delete it. Mods have to be impartial and fair.

This sums it all up right here. Everyone has a supplier of some sort, it's about how you deal with your customers that keeps business going no matter the delays. If you look at the forums everywhere, Teksavvy is becoming known for 'excuses'. Plain and simple.

They sound whiny and tho i sympathize 110% with the issues, a lot could be done within the company to rectify many issues not even related to vendors. Teksavvy was once great, they've turned themselves in to "like the rest" all on their very own. How many years have we heard "hired new staff?", "rapid growth", "Growing Pains", "Not our fault".

Drop the vendors then, oh wait it's making you money even at the expensive of your reputation. We the people can only do so much wriiting letters to the CRTC and every joe, but the business side is all on Teksavvy.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
And the trolls are out.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Loosedobs, I think you need to understand the differences between reasons and excuses. A reason is valid and unavoidable. An excuse is an attempt to deflect taking responsibility.

For example ... "I'm sorry I am late, I missed the bus" is an excuse because of the very obvious ... "why didn't you go a little earlier to the bus stop?" A reason on the other hand is credible and out of your hands ... "I'm sorry I am late, I was on that bus that crashed into the train".

Most of the reasons given in my post are out of TekSavvy's hands, and therefore not excuses, although they would become like an excuse if they were doing nothing to remedy them.

First, they are getting and training more staff. It takes time to train staff to the quality you need for this job. Interestingly, not many people, even those with good technical skills, actually make good CSRs. CSR burnout is surprisingly high amongst those who survive the initial turnover problems of working in call centres.

Second, the issues with the vendors are factual. It took time to assemble a suitable complaint to the CRTC, but there remains NOTHING that they can do in the short term. The vendors do not appear to be responding to requests to improve the situation and coercion is not an option ... you can threaten them all you want, they'll just cut you off and face the wrath of the CRTC. (After all Eastlink has not opted to provide TPIA at all)

Nobody's blaming the users. No company in a service industry likes to be in this position and they know that the last people to blame are the users.

You have right to defend TS but I am not buying it.
When I wanted to switch to TSI I faced phone system problem.
People blamed me so much but TS posted on this forum yes it was the system problem. That was almost 2-1/2 years before. Then also heard about new hiring about 150-250 people. Problem with Rogers

It is still same after all this time.
I also heard excuses from "Techies"/users that all this is because the idiot users have joined and are tying up the phone system and CSR time. I mean really? They decide who should join TSI?

What is most disturbing is any criticism is treated as Troll or Rogers employee comments and modes deleted it.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
You watch. As soon as these outages are fixed. Instantly the phone lines will be wide open.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to loosedobbs
because your "criticism" is pointless. i can point out that you are too short. why dont you reprogram your DNA and grow taller ? because you cant.
people have repeatedly told you TSI is hiring staff. your criticism is they dont have enough. ok. fine. they have hired 250. now what ? If rogers cuts off 10,000 customers what can those staff do ?
you have been told repeatedly TSI has no SLA with rogers. yet you insist on legal action. There is no court which will address this issue. only the CRTC. and TSI has approached the CRTC. what else can they do to "prove" it ?
your good sir are a troll. someone who repeats the same pointless argument even when confronted with facts.

gotak

L6G 0C5
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

gotak ... the way it's going, it's not really a similar price to go with an incumbent. It's significantly more expensive. It would cost me about 50% more for comparable speeds, but far less data usage.

Moreover, this is precisely what the incumbents want us to do ... so they can lock us into contracts or other conditions making it difficult to go back.

That's weird you think that cause I called Robbers yesterday and got the 35/3 cable package with 300 gig at the same price as Tek. No contract. And no need to buy a modem either.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

2 recommendations

said by gotak:

said by sbrook:

That's weird you think that cause I called Robbers yesterday and got the 35/3 cable package with 300 gig at the same price as Tek. No contract. And no need to buy a modem either.

You're welcome.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy